Anyone out there running an Aluminum Contractor Topper?

Remy1974

411e7be777b931b6d95bcb81d9393567.jpg

I love my topper. Got it mainly for the internal frame and the side doors that open. Makes reaching in for items a lot easier and faster. A lot hard to break into imo as my rear windows have metal security mesh behind it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet rig, man! This is almost identical to what I'm turning my 91 Toyota into. One addon I'm working on incorporating is a clam shell RTT that can be accessed from inside the shell or through the outside.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
All steel. Got to be heavy. Rust can be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of them in San Diego. We have a fair degree of humidity with the ocean here and I've never seen one rusted. They'll outlast the truck. I don't think I'd mount one on a mini-truck though.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Great channel , he went from a forester to now running a frontier with a tall contractor canopy . Gotta admit I’m really digging his setup so far .

roving1

Great channel , he went from a forester to now running a frontier with a tall contractor canopy . Gotta admit I’m really digging his setup so far .

I might have to start watching the channel again. I don't have anything against Subarus per se as they are capable vehicles for what they are. But he was kind of the typical Subaru fanboy where he would brag about how awesome they were and why would you need anything else and then 5 seconds later be completely freaked out by even moderate terrain and constantly turn around or avoid any remotely challenging routes. This is such a better and more interesting and capable setup.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I might have to start watching the channel again. I don't have anything against Subarus per se as they are capable vehicles for what they are. But he was kind of the typical Subaru fanboy where he would brag about how awesome they were and why would you need anything else and then 5 seconds later be completely freaked out by even moderate terrain and constantly turn around or avoid any remotely challenging routes. This is such a better and more interesting and capable setup.

I had the opposite impression . I always thought that he knew the forester was limited and was smart about turning around when the trail got harder to avoid getting stuck when he usually traveled alone .a lot of Subaru guys constantly push the little buggers to hard and get stuck a lot trying to prove they can handle a “ jeep trail “ . But He definitely got some trail miles in and explored a vast part of Oregon in that little car showing you don’t have to have a built 4x4 to get out and explore and enjoy your time outdoors .

olshaggy

This is my regular cab long bed 4WD 2016 Tundra SR. It spent the first six years of its life as a parts truck at a dealership in Alabama. 164k miles but serviced regularly and virtually no rust.

Tundra.jpg

Planning to live in and out of it for most of the year(s) ahead. Should be getting an ARE DCU mounted the end of this month. It'll be 36" high (to give me enough headroom to comfortably sit up straight inside) and have:
  • Straight (vertical) side walls and radius (rounded) front
  • Double full back doors with windows
  • Vented Windoors on both sides
  • Radius three panel sliding front window
  • Roof tracks (to mount a Yakima rack)
  • Backup camera with wiring harness
Still researching a lot of details of the interior build, but so far I'm planning to add:
  • Butyl sound dampening mats
  • Thermal wall and ceiling insulation (weighing the pros/cons of polyiso, XPS, Thinsulate, maybe also Low E)
  • 1/4" cedar paneling (possibly with foam underlayment or mylar tape along furring strips to prevent squeaking)
  • Insulated window covers (Thinsulate + Low E)
  • XPS and plywood flooring
  • Vent fan (intake and exhaust)
  • Top loading 12V compressor fridge
  • Sink with 7 gal fresh and gray water tanks (maybe an electric pump)
  • Electric heater (which I'll use sparingly and will help control moisture)
  • Batteries charging off solar /alternator to power this gear, plus lighting and charging ports
  • 2' wide sofa that pulls out to 4' wide bed with storage underneath
That's far from a complete list but covers the highest priorities. I expect to spend most of my time in the warm, dry lands of the western US but do also hope to get up as far as Alaska and down through Mexico to Central America and perhaps beyond at some point down the road, mostly solo but sometimes with a companion. I'm also considering doing the 36 gallon fuel tank upgrade (there's one at a nearby junkyard) and upgrading the suspension. Tundra frames do more flexing and twisting than most so I also ordered four extra side wall gussets on the cap (which is what they do for search and rescue vehicles) and I'm planning to install a set of Total Chaos bed stiffeners to minimize the forces on those rear doors. I've also ordered a set of RCI skids (engine and trans) and cat guards, but I've had trouble finding fully bolt-on sliders that will fit this truck (WKOR's fit but require drilling into the frame) so I'm looking for a fabricator in the region (within a day's drive of western North Carolina) to build a custom set.

Curious to hear about ya'lls experiences with any of the above, particularly insulating these aluminum caps.

Explorerinil

Observer
This is my regular cab long bed 4WD 2016 Tundra SR. It spent the first six years of its life as a parts truck at a dealership in Alabama. 164k miles but serviced regularly and virtually no rust.

View attachment 761016

Planning to live in and out of it for most of the year(s) ahead. Should be getting an ARE DCU mounted the end of this month. It'll be 36" high (to give me enough headroom to comfortably sit up straight inside) and have:
  • Straight (vertical) side walls and radius (rounded) front
  • Double full back doors with windows
  • Vented Windoors on both sides
  • Radius three panel sliding front window
  • Roof tracks (to mount a Yakima rack)
  • Backup camera with wiring harness
Still researching a lot of details of the interior build, but so far I'm planning to add:
  • Butyl sound dampening mats
  • Thermal wall and ceiling insulation (weighing the pros/cons of polyiso, XPS, Thinsulate, maybe also Low E)
  • 1/4" cedar paneling (possibly with foam underlayment or mylar tape along furring strips to prevent squeaking)
  • Insulated window covers (Thinsulate + Low E)
  • XPS and plywood flooring
  • Vent fan (intake and exhaust)
  • Top loading 12V compressor fridge
  • Sink with 7 gal fresh and gray water tanks (maybe an electric pump)
  • Electric heater (which I'll use sparingly and will help control moisture)
  • Batteries charging off solar /alternator to power this gear, plus lighting and charging ports
  • 2' wide sofa that pulls out to 4' wide bed with storage underneath
That's far from a complete list but covers the highest priorities. I expect to spend most of my time in the warm, dry lands of the western US but do also hope to get up as far as Alaska and down through Mexico to Central America and perhaps beyond at some point down the road, mostly solo but sometimes with a companion. I'm also considering doing the 36 gallon fuel tank upgrade (there's one at a nearby junkyard) and upgrading the suspension. Tundra frames do more flexing and twisting than most so I also ordered four extra side wall gussets on the cap (which is what they do for search and rescue vehicles) and I'm planning to install a set of Total Chaos bed stiffeners to minimize the forces on those rear doors. I've also ordered a set of RCI skids (engine and trans) and cat guards, but I've had trouble finding fully bolt-on sliders that will fit this truck (WKOR's fit but require drilling into the frame) so I'm looking for a fabricator in the region (within a day's drive of western North Carolina) to build a custom set.

Curious to hear about ya'lls experiences with any of the above, particularly insulating these aluminum caps.
I’m not sure what your budget it like, but you may want to seriously consider a caravan camper shell with doors. It will outlast the truck it’s on.

Tacoma TRD Off Road with ARE DCU 29" I love it! It's very stealthy. Park at Home Depot during open hours nobody bothers me. Coast to coast three trips so far. Can't stand up in it though. The barn doors are the absolute best for convenience. The hinge screws ripped out and had to be replaced. Adding cord "stoppers" help. If I carry 8' lumber I lash the barn doors to the 2' hang-out with flag, or run it through the window to the cab or put it on the roof. DCU has ladder rack which I lashed PVC pipe on with heavy duty UV resistant cable ties. Added a pull out "U" shape in rear and can assemble a privacy room at the rear. (PVC fittings from Formufit and Circo Fittings) Circo Fittings greenhouse clamps cut down to 1" slices make excellent temporary fabric clips over PVC pipe. With 29" high DCU you can get slider/win-doors. I screwed dog crate panels inside the windows. Added 3M Command velcro strips to the outside of the win-doors with matching Reflectix sheets. I made window props with dowels and binder clips. Windows can be propped and make shade/ventilation for dogs. After last trip I decided I want to stand up inside and looked at Alu-Cab for the Tacoma. I don't want to go back to a tailgate. Last month I got bitten by the Ineos Grenadier bug. No more going outside in stormy weather.

Attachments

• IMG_5119 - Copy small.jpg
    IMG_5119 - Copy small.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 48
  • 2013 deck and 2 dogs.jpg
    2013 deck and 2 dogs.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2019 no deck no dog.jpg
    2019 no deck no dog.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 2022 deck 1 dog.jpg
    2022 deck 1 dog.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 49
  • the annex small.jpg
    the annex small.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 50
  • the annex 1 small.jpg
    the annex 1 small.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 44

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I've run aluminum work toppers on a few rigs and have a huge flatbed ARE welder body. They are noisy in the rain and mine (ARE) leaves lots to be desired from a welding standpoint but they work. Full access doors are great. Noise can be minimized by painting/spraying/carpeting the interior walls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles