F150 ham antenna mounting

mjac

Adventurer
Here I go again.
I traded out of my Toyota after removing the radio, Diamond lip mount, etc. and Larson 2/70.
The lip mount *might* work on the side of the hood or on the back edge near the windshield but neither location appeals to me.
I fender mount seems the easiest but do they accommodate a NMO or will I have to drill it out?
Are there any other pitfalls you guys can help me avoid considering this is an aluminum hood, fender, etc vehicle?

Thanks

malibubts

Adventurer
I did not have any luck with the fender mount on my Ram; the bracket didn't really seat right and rubbed on the hood lid. The mount I had did have an NMO hole pre-drilled though. Your mileage may vary since it's a different truck.

I was able to find a shop that did an NMO mount install locally for $70/hour with a 1 hour quote. It ended up only taking them an hour to do the install and they only charged me $35. It might be worth exploring if you don't mind the antenna on your roof. In the end I'm happy with my setup and wished I would have just explored radio shops before ordering the fender mount.

mjac

Adventurer
Thanks.

I don't have much room up there. My truck has two panel moon roof and leaves about 10" of roof to the rear or so to mount. With all that glass forward of the ant, be ok?

I may just order a fender mount and mock it up just to see.

Meanwhile I'll make some calls.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Interested as well. Recently traded my GX470 in and haven't moved the gear over to the F-150 yet. In the GX I used a Diamond K400 lip mount but like OP I don't like how it fits on the hood of the truck. Traded my Kenwood TMV71 in for a Icom ID-5100 and am getting the itch to go mobile again.

I too as thinking the fender mount, but have worried about fitment and clearance of body panels and hood...as well as snaking the coax down between the fender and the hood.
Here's the one I was looking at using: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014585

Along with: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000596

And because I know people will say NMO on the roof or bust...I can't do that for clearance reasons. I won't fit in my garage or in the parking ramps I frequent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94