Volvo 2 - No not another one WR6973

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
Saturday 11 November 2017

After working till 2am for the Single day sales I was in no shape to go to IPOH 190k away so 1pm I'm in Volvo 2 workshop some 15 mins from home.

First pics of Volvo 2's stable mates one immacutlately restored PINZ and
20171110_152336.jpg

the other almost finished its transformation to covered long distance touring wagon.
20171110_152427.jpg

The puppy is really happy to see me.
20171111_151909.jpg

We mount the wooden cabin template raised 4" and then I start cutting of the rear bent up cross member. hours later its all made mincemeat with the 7" angle grinder and the little 4" grinder and it's ready for us to get the new one cut.
20171111_185006.jpg

The truck is ready to go. New engine and gearbox has been ordered from the wreckers lets see if they can deliver a 3.0 ISUZU diesel and auto gearbox from a DMAX.
20171111_185028.jpg

Front view of the cabin.
20171111_185046.jpg

The wooden cabin gave us an idea and now the rear will have two parts. One will be old school wooden tray and sizes (for dressage) all removeable and the other will be alloy (for COMP and hooning) .

More progress pics as we progress.

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
23 November 2017

Work on VOlvo 2 continues. The steel for the rollcage is being ordered.

The engine and gearbox is to be lifted out.

Even better news is I had little choices for engine and gearbox combo's.

I cannot obtain and ISUZU engine and gearbox so went the other extreme since I hate the remaining alternatve of Mitsubishi engine/gearbox or toyota 1KZ/auto.

A 2JZ Toyota Supra VVTI 1/2 cut has been obtained and will be mated to a 4x4 auto gearbox.
20171123_110000.jpg

Then it's going to a wireman to recover the loom and give me a turnkey engine and gearbox.

A lot of the other parts from the Supra can be used - DASH etc Radiator and all the overflow bottles and the headlights and indicators etc.

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
No news from the cabin shop they shut up shop for 3 weeks and have not offered progress pics despite being requested to send time for a anger visit.

Chassis the portals have just been removed and are now ready to take to the workshop for Toyota Disc conversion.

The Toyota 2JZ-GTE with 4x4 auto I collected and delivered to the shop not before being pulled over and charged with having an illegal roof rack and transporting an engine/gearbox in a non commercial vehicle and having the pickup loaded up past the tray sides. Unbelieveable.

So the engine and gearbox can commence installation but not before we convert the twin turbo to single turbo. We only have 1/2 inch 1.5cm spare in the cabin due to the width of the 2JZ-GTE.

Pics coming soon.

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
2 January 2018

Volvo 2 is in 3 workshops.
Chassis in a shop near my office. Where rollcage and engine will be fitted.
Cabin in another workshop 10k from work - progress reports are not coming in neither are pictures - not happy. I am hearing from other customers from this shop they are really unhappy and just want a decent days woirk from this shop and it not be closed each time they turn up for work review and unasnwered phone calls.
Engine and gearbox and portals are taken to a 3rd shop 30k away where he is a trusted mechanic to do what I need.

Work on Volvo 2 continues. After work I drop round to Volvo 2 workshop since it's 10 mins away from work and on the way home.

Had the 2JZ-GTE engine and gearbox in the Isuzu.

So we jacked up the Volvo onto it's new stands. Started pulling the Vovlo axles off. They do not get the last of off till next day as the broke 2 bars and went through 2 bottles of gas heating up the wheel nuts.

The engine was unloaded using the car hoist. I will collect the portals next week to take to the other workshop to get converted to Totota Discs and all new bearings etc.

We are waiting for the new bending machine to arrive from the good old USA before the rollcage bending can start.

The puppy decided he should help out.

20180102_185042.jpg

20180102_185116.jpg

20180102_190529.jpg

The 2JZ is to be converted to single turbo and a general cleaup to make it a lot slimmer and less chances of hoses splitting etc. Currently it only has 1.5CM to fit inside the cabin tunnel.
20180102_194050.jpg

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
2 February 2018

The engine and gearbox is out now that they have a portable engine hoist in the workshop and is all leveld out on the workshop floor.

20180202_184032.jpg

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
9 February 2018

Info for all followers:
1. The cabin is in a workshop 13k south of my office
2. The chassis is in a secret workshop (hidden behind a 12 foot high fence) 5k from my office and is on the way home lol. Its a great place to drop in at 7pm on way home from work and see all the PINZGAUERS and my VOlvo in there.
3. The Engine/gearbox/Axle conversion and restoration work etc is all done in a my long time 4x4 Toyota professors workshop 30k north of my home

Got this picture of the Volvo from the Cabin shop after much hounding as the shop was always closed and they did not answer calls etc for progress. They have not made much progress.
20180209_WA0000.jpg

I called into the shop earlier that day and got the myanmar worker who speaks little english. I saw little progress.

They rung me and said they wanted another 7 months to finish the cabin. I told them they have 2. What they don't know is if I don't see progress in the next month im going to get it myself and do the work in the secret workshop. I hvae indicated to them I want to see progress I cannot wait.

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
11 February 2018

Made this template while in IPOH for the door frames as the cabin shop indicated they having trouble with getting it lined up correctly.

20180211_184758.jpg

20180211_184823.jpg

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
15 February 2018

Unbelieveable Andrew managed to get a auto tranny workshop on CNY eve to come and join the autogearbox to the engine.
20180215_WA0011.jpg

A frame is now being build above the Volvo 2 chassis to hang the engine and gearbox from so they can lower it slowly and correctly into it's correct alignment.

The rollcage bender is arriving from USA in coming weeks but nothing will be done until the cabin is returned. However, the engine and gearbox will be fitted and got running in the meantime.

Meantime same day while I was standing in the secret workshop I got the bad call from the Toyota Professor. The AXLES are bad. Chipped crown and pinions. Smashed locker mechanisms and one ruined HUB. All can be repaired with MONEY please send lol.

The DISC conversion has been done and is slowly being assembled onto the axles.

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
17 March 2018

Big day I'm officially grounded for a 7 days with my heart playing up. Hence no visit to work on Volvo 1. I decided it was Volvo 2 day instead so I got a friendly chauffuer and we trooped out to collect the portals after a hearty breakfast which are now converted to run Toyota discs oh and the bill crikey that also caused more heart issues.

First a replacement portal was obtained for this welded up missing pair of teeth. I also know a machine shop 190k from here which can produce these so I will make trip to them to see their costs etc.
20180317_111433.jpg

Then the broken locker was replaced this one is only good to recycle into a complete Mazda car.
20180317_111437.jpg

Then we noticed the twisted axle so thats now being replaced if we can find a part here.
20180317_114821.jpg

Then we loaded up the newly converted portals and trooped off for lunch with a well earned beer and a pub meal.
20180317_114825.jpg

Then it was off to the cabin shop and we inspected the cabin - little progress has been made apart from the cabin being split into 2 but it was back together again with 2 bolts holding the cabin together. Progress will accerate this week with 2 other car body's being removed from the shop today. No pics from here since it looks same as last visit. Yes I'm a little frustrated but progress is moving forward.

Then it was off to the Chassis workshop and the portals were put into storage and we discussed the engine/gearbox being dropped onto the chassis. It is expected to be completed this coming Friday along with the water tank for Volvo 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles