POP UP TRUCK CAMPER QUESTION

BUZZ

I heard that the canvas (in side of camper) sweats and can get mold on it. Is this true and should I put air bags on the truck (what kind) for this type of camper.What should I build to move the camper around (by myself) when it is off the truck,where would I get plans to build this.

mkish

Adventurer
There are lots of plans for camper dollies. We just reinforced a 4x8' sheet of something cheap with 2x4"s and put casters under it. I keep mine in the garage so I did not need weather-resistant materials.

You can get condensation inside and it can get mildewy if you put it away wet and leave it. The condensation isn't just a popup thing but popups won't dry out on their own so are more prone to mildew than non-popups.

I don't have airbags on my truck. I don't think I need them. You might. Depends on the truck and camper.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Echo the comments... If it's wet and cold, you'll have more condensation. If it's warm and drier, nothing. Keeping a window of vents open help a lot. I keep a "sham-wow" with us and wipe down if it's going to be closed for more than a day after being wet. As far as the platform for moving, I personally like a cheep trailer, like one from Harbor Freight, mainly because I could move it around easier, and with my lawn tractor.

As far as Air bags, I need them, but that's all a part of the lift/weight that's individualized.

Don

-

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Needing a dolly/dollie depends on if you actually know you will have to move it. If so you will need to figure out something.
What kind of truck do you have and what suspension is on it currently?
Google Wander The West for a great pop-up community and forum.

SidecarFlip

The best camper dolly I've found is an older used boat trailer slightly modified with 2x4's to carry a camper. I use a single axle used Tee-Nee boat trailer under mine and the whole tings fits in my garage nicely for storage. I motor it around with my quad.

You can get used boat trailers cheap on Craigs List.

SidecarFlip

I heard that the canvas (in side of camper) sweats and can get mold on it. Is this true and should I put air bags on the truck (what kind) for this type of camper.What should I build to move the camper around (by myself) when it is off the truck,where would I get plans to build this.

If you get a P'up and the tent gets wet and you must close it, open it at your first opportunity and let it dry out. Pretty simple actually. I usually open mine when I get home and leave it open until it dries out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles