3) Trickle charger
4) DC to DC charger
5) 50 amp connection for inverter
6) Meter to measure voltage, current draw and cumulative power use
7) Portable

IMG_20170509_133055_hdr.jpg

Step-Hen

Observer
Nice! It's very similar to one I built (including the exact charge controller,) at a fraction of the cost of a commercial product. If I had to do it over again, I'd use the 50A connectors like you did rather than 45A Anderson Powerpoles, simply because it's easy to bolt the 50A connectors to the box.

BTW, I discovered that if I (seemingly) fully charged the battery via the solar charge controller, then hooked it up to my sophisticated AC-powered charger, it would dump several amps into the battery for quite a while. That means that the cheap charge controller stops the bulk/absorb stage too soon (on mine it was at 14.1V,) and it didn't continue to charge appreciably in float. In use, it doesn't matter much because I rarely need more battery capacity, but I do hook it up to the fancy charger occasionally and run an equalizing charge. Seven years later, the battery is still going strong.

chuppie

Observer
Thanks,
And good info on Solar charger. The 50 amp connectors can be bought for $30 for 5 pair now. I'm using them everywhere.

chuppie

Observer
Less then 60 bucks with out battery.
Probably 90 bucks if you include the trickle charger and the DC to DC charger that I had already.

And Yep, I made it.

Super simple to both build since the battery case is plastic and easy to wire.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Less then 60 bucks with out battery.
Probably 90 bucks if you include the trickle charger and the DC to DC charger that I had already.

And Yep, I made it.

Super simple to both build since the battery case is plastic and easy to wire.

Nice job, but can you provide more details on the components and the wiring?

john61ct

Adventurer
I like the Anderson SB idea, much better than external posts sticking out!

I'd like to do the same for G31, so I could use Firefly Oasis to withstand PSOC situations. Here's a pricey OTS unit, includes a small AC inverter/charger rather than solar.

​ArkPak 730

LFP even better, but lots higher-level maker skills required there.

Forget ciggie plugs, Blue Sea twist lock or Hella/Merit style better. I'd just put in lower-amp Anderson PP style ports, then make various pigtail-adapters as needed.

Is that solar controller respectable? Suspiciously cheap to me, <$20 including shipping from China.

chuppie

Observer
Solar controller works in a both 18ah battery and on type 24. I'm not a big battery power user while camping, just for my CPAP and charging latterns and phones. I have a 100 watt panel and I'm down grading to a 50 watt panel because 2 amps is plenty and the panel is much easier to handle. The CIG lighter jack is on there for my mini inverter we use on the laptop. I am adding a USB charging port as soon as I get motivated to order one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke