LR4: anyone fitting 255/70/18?

rwdragon

Hi DiscoDavis, Jwestpro, everyone, I have a 2014 LR4. Starting to make it more off road worthy.

I'm looking at putting BFG T/A KO2 LT265/65R18 on compomotive PD1881 18" wheels. I'm considering lift rods. These wheels are 31.5 inch in diameter, 10.7 section width, 8.7 Tread Width, 3305lb load rated.

You mentioned rubbing on frame horns. Is this an issue with LR4s? Are there any pictures of these so i can check my LR4?

Also does anyone know if the tire/wheel fitment is the same for LR4s in the US as compared to the Discovery LR4 in the 2014 year range?

One more question, does anyone of experience with the BFG T/A KO2's vs the Goodyear Wranger AT with Kevlar as far as side wall cuts go?

Cheers,
Randy

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Hi DiscoDavis, Jwestpro, everyone, I have a 2014 LR4. Starting to make it more off road worthy.

I'm looking at putting BFG T/A KO2 LT265/65R18 on compomotive PD1881 18" wheels. I'm considering lift rods. These wheels are 31.5 inch in diameter, 10.7 section width, 8.7 Tread Width, 3305lb load rated.

You mentioned rubbing on frame horns. Is this an issue with LR4s? Are there any pictures of these so i can check my LR4?

Also does anyone know if the tire/wheel fitment is the same for LR4s in the US as compared to the Discovery LR4 in the 2014 year range?

One more question, does anyone of experience with the BFG T/A KO2's vs the Goodyear Wranger AT with Kevlar as far as side wall cuts go?

Cheers,
Randy

If you want to test fit the slightly larger 275/65-18, come on down to Tacoma area and we'll spend a little time test fitting a set I have using 25 or 30mm spacers, one of which should end up with similar offset as those wheels. I think I also have a used set of the 265 but not on wheels whereas the 275 are nearly new and in wheels so we could get some real data for you.

I think most people agree the BFG is better in many ways. Durable longevity and great mix of attributes in varrying conditions.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Plus you don't need any dumb rods. I'll show you why and two better alternatives aside from the fact you don't truly need any with that tire size, it fits just fine.

rwdragon

Thanks Jwestpro, maybe I will come down. I already ordered the compomotives vis johnsonrods. Just spinning my wheels now on tires and the rods. I'm pretty convinced now that if I can skip the rods, I'll be a lot better off. I spoke with Land Rover service and they said that they could cause concern for warranty issues, especially if it's a suspension issue. Also there is the ride height safety concern when using them on paved streets, hate to roll my LR4 while swerving for a deer because I'm 2 inches higher than I should be. I'm only interested in moderate off road activities anyway with this car, it's not old enough yet for the big stuff. I'm also planning on only running these wheels when I'm going to be doing off road activities, so switching them off with the stock set. I can see my checking account shrinking .. need to get rockers, need to get a full size roof rack, need to get an air compressor, impact wrench, jacks, brush guards, winch, beer cooler, satellite phone ... lol.

rwdragon

Thanks for the meet up Jwestpro. For the readers, we tried the BFGoodrich 265/65/18s on my 2014 LR4 and in access height the front tire hits a screw that is part of the front fender assemblies. All in all the 31.5 inch diameter was a pretty tight fit. We used a spacer on the wheel that moved it out a bit further than the compomotive will sit, so it might be possible to still squeak that 31.5 inch tire into this car w/out mods. That said, for now, we decided to go with the BFGoodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 Load E 119 265/60/18s .. these are 30.5 in diameter and will easily fit. I think in a few years when we want to up the game, we will replace the front bumper and go with larger tires at that point.

Last edited:

Abbfam

Great thread with a lot of information. I have recently bought a 2013 LR4 which has the 20" wheels. I would like to find a good off road tire that is a bit more aggressive then the highway tires that are on it now. I could lift it some with my Gap tool. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Great thread with a lot of information. I have recently bought a 2013 LR4 which has the 20" wheels. I would like to find a good off road tire that is a bit more aggressive then the highway tires that are on it now. I could lift it some with my Gap tool. Any opinions would be appreciated.

There are countless threads/posts already covering 20" choices with various data. Just use the search function or try a forum where people use 20's more often for even more info like "land rover world ". As you are probably aware, 20" wheels are not really a common thing in the overlanding community for many reasons.

Good luck and enjoy the view :)

morrisdl

Adventurer
Great discussion. Thanks for testing out the tire sizing options. Duratracs are discontinued and Im due for new brakes...Going to 17" and like the skinny idea! I used to easily fit my 275/26r18 Duratracs, but with the rear sway removed, I ripped out my wheel liner on the most recent KY outing. I guess that sort of proves there is more articulation now without the sway bar.

Clipboard01.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
Great discussion. Thanks for testing out the tire sizing options. Duratracs are discontinued and Im due for new brakes...Going to 17" and like the skinny idea! I used to easily fit my 275/26r18 Duratracs, but with the rear sway removed, I ripped out my wheel liner on the most recent KY outing. I guess that sort of proves there is more articulation now without the sway bar.

LOL you removed the sway bars? Must handle like ******** on the highway ;).

Abbfam

There are countless threads/posts already covering 20" choices with various data. Just use the search function or try a forum where people use 20's more often for even more info like "land rover world ". As you are probably aware, 20" wheels are not really a common thing in the overlanding community for many reasons.

Good luck and enjoy the view :)

Thanks Jwestpro I'll use the search before I start talking out loud.

Cheers

morrisdl

Adventurer
LOL you removed the sway bars? Must handle like ******** on the highway ;).

Just the rear sway bar. It broke, so I tried a week without it...felt fine, so turned into permanent. Surprisingly not much different on road. On off ramps it feels like an extra tire on the roof. Glad I run normal ride height on road. Definitely more articulation though. Might have to watch the CVs at full drop.

vasily

Adventurer
What size tire will fit under the rear of the car? I hear some folks have to deflate their 265/65/18 spare to get it to fit up under the car. I'm trying to avoid this.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Has anyone tried the 34/10.50-17 KO? I realize it is a D rated tire, but curious as it fills the pizza cutter profile.

colb45

Observer
What size tire will fit under the rear of the car? I hear some folks have to deflate their 265/65/18 spare to get it to fit up under the car. I'm trying to avoid this.

265/65-18 BF KO2 will fit but has to be deflated. Honestly pack a compressor and it will set you back 3-4minutes on the trail when doing the tire change. To avoid it being deflated.. get a rear tire carrier? Thats on my to do list....

I use a tire jack, bit of silicon spray on the plastic shield and it slides up there with no worries, always been afraid to put to much strain on the spare tire winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier