Overhead storage

I see a lot threads here about storage mostly drawers and roof racks. I got an email today that got me thinking about overhead storage. When I saw the video I had a good laugh and was amazed at the amount that could be stored overhead. Got me to thinking about possibly adding some overhead storage. I already use sunvisors for storage but this goes way beyond that. The one in a the video is mounted in a Polaris RZR.
https://youtu.be/LQ_w0vkT1GM
The video is good for a laugh and goes to show how extreme some people might go on their storage.
1000-Overhead-Bag-Orange.jpg

Overhead-Bag-1000.jpg

Here is a link to their various storage items. It is all designed for different UTVs but it might give someone else some ideas of making use of some of that unused space.
http://www.prpseats.com/product-category/utv/utv-storage/

Has anyone else thought about over head storage or actually made use of the space?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I made a cargo net out of paracord for the rear of my Xterra for light items. Not my idea I stole it from someone, but it's actually a pretty common space for storage in Xterra's since we have a deep roof (space above the windows) and ample tie points in the ceiling. (4 coat hanger hooks plus close access to rear seat hand grabs.)

I keep things like tie straps, jacket, hats, mostly soft, light items up there. I often suspend my Drone in there so it won't get crushed by anything bouncing around in the cargo area.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Land Cruiser 100 series

Attachments

• IMG_7569[1].jpg
    IMG_7569[1].jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7562[1].jpg
    IMG_7562[1].jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7568[1].jpg
    IMG_7568[1].jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 83

EVP

Observer
LandCruiserPhil, nice setup. Did you drill holes into the body or are those already in place?

Lucky j

Explorer
I do have an above head center console between the roll bar and the windshield frame, but I like to have open space above my head. This is why I have a wrangler.

So nope, not my bag for inside cab.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Been planning to do a ceiling fishing pole / radio antenna rack for my Suburban. Lots of metal and strap versions out there already. I'm thinking to execute one in hardwood and match it to my storage platform / drawer build.

3c5a7ec8ee9ea8e3d8dcf84d9e5a4b9e.jpg
ffae3e9d63f207951c5f14d81e377e5c.1500

@rayra - If you base yours on the pic of the wooden rack in your post I would highly recommend a hard leather piece attached to "close" the opening so the rods tips or ends (most likely the tips) don't fall through unexpectedly and hit you in the face or eye. For example... not that I was fool enough to drive around with a similar setup and get smacked in the face with a rod tip...

krax

Adventurer
I use a BROG attic in my 4Runner. Very convenient, but only if you don't have adults in the back seat.

jeegro

Adventurer
Attic rack is one of the best additions I've ever done to my truck. Feels like you can store so much more stuff, with quick access.
IMG_0621.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
@rayra - If you base yours on the pic of the wooden rack in your post I would highly recommend a hard leather piece attached to "close" the opening so the rods tips or ends (most likely the tips) don't fall through unexpectedly and hit you in the face or eye. For example... not that I was fool enough to drive around with a similar setup and get smacked in the face with a rod tip...

Thankx for the tip tip. I intend to do closed hole, but will still need something to keep radio antenna from sliding forward / out. My storage drawers in my Suburban are ~54"L so I want a safer place for loner antennae. Have been thinking about an ABS pipe on the roof rack, too. But wanted somethign that wasn't going to rattle and bang around.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use an ABS pipe for my tent poles and wrap them with a piece of cloth...no rattle. I put the glued receiver and threaded caps on each end. Already had the Front Runner awning brackets to attach the pipe to.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Might do that too, as I really like the 4" / 6" ABS / PVC rack-mount water storage / shower idea. And now that I have my solid roof deck in place I can readily mount the pipes.

MattL

Adventurer
Probably same brand as shoredreamers, FJ80. InterMetro brand or something from the container store.

DSC4709_copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94