Making the transition from rtt to ground tent

dcg141

Adventurer
I have an RTT mounted on a trailer that I use for extended stay situations with a base camp. I also have a Nemo 2p backpack tent I use for Kayak trips and motorcycle camping. I am going to get a canvas ground tent also for base camping wo my trailer. The RTT has made me a big believer in canvas again.

razzman1

Observer
I was looking for a sturdy ground tent for mostly state campground camping with the family. We ended up with a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas springbar tent. It's incredible, but it is really heavy and takes up a lot of space.

We probably didn't need the size of the 10x14, but I really wanted the large ventilation windows on the sides, which is only available in the 10x14. It's huge inside--you can stand up with a foot to spare anywhere in the tent, sets up surprisingly quickly for its size, and feels really well made. But, damn. For real. It's heavy.

altaboy

Observer
Tent: Went with Redverz Atacama Expedition Motorcycle Tent: https://redverz.com/motorcycle-tents/atacama-green/

Relatively light, HUGE intergrated vestible. Rational: 15 min setup/tear down (that is after all the camping debris is removed/stowed). Living room feel of vestibule (including stand-up freedom), 4 season (vents, etc). Positives: could spend week in this if need be. Negative: not free standing (though I can modify to pull this off).

Sleeping pad: NOMAD™ INSULATED 30XL SLEEPING MATTRESS : http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Nomad Insulated 30XL

integrated foot pump (lets u pump while drinking....), somewhat insulated, good baffling system prevents low pressure spots, robust enough, small stow volume.

JJEH

We currently have a Rightline Gear SUV tent for us and smaller pop up tents for the kids.

10305417_815736695112422_3650606463773040827_n.jpg

It works perfectly, doesn't have to be attached to an SUV. They don't sell this size anymore, don't know why.

I'd like to give this tent to the kids and get a RTT (for the Ram not the Durango) for us. Or maybe just a trailer RTT? I'm not sure yet.
Does the RTT have disadvantages? Why do you want to go back to the ground?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've got a couple friends who have both Kodiak and the Oztents. I don't think you can go wrong with either and I've often thougth of ditching my FWC for a lighter set up but everytime I camp with my camper it is truly awesome.

If you haven't purchased sleeping pads yet I suggest looking at Klymit's Static-V pads. Here's a comparison video I've done with the two I have. I also did a how to video on cheap and easy inflation.

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
Roll-a-Cots are the bomb. https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots/products/wide-roll-a-cot

They have wide and regular sizes. Used a LOT by rafters; very robust and it's no problem if they get soaked, it's a sort of mesh fabric. So very cool in the heat, but like with any cot you wanna use a pad when it's cold.

Aside from the beefy nature, these cots have a couple of advantages. No end bars, so your feet or head doesn't hit like with too many other cots, and there isn't a slump from head to toe. And the legs are straight down. Some cots have a tangle of support down there; with the roll-a-cots it's more space. So it's way easier to store gear by just sliding it underneath. Ours fit perfectly in a truck bed.

For a tent with cots, I like a floorless one I can just lay a tarp down under. That way mud, sand, and any other crap doesn't travel with you in the tent, and easy to clean and maintain. BTW, with cots you often wanna have something under the feet to spread load if you do have a floor.

Biker Eagle

Observer
Being able to detach and not have to break camp with the RTT (when staying multiple days in the same spot) is why we relocated our RTT to a small trailer. Love the RTT but not so much up and down every day when unnecessary. We did this.
RTT trailer 13.jpg

I don't even know it's behind the FJ, and as a bonus the gas mileage improved. These little trailers are dirt cheap at Lowes, around $450 on sale. This is probably cheaper than a good ground tent...especially an Oz. Also, the trailer holds 2 medium Rubbermaid Action packers, table, and lawn chairs.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The only drawback I can see from a trailer like that is how it would do off-road. I've read extensively about the similar Harbor Freight trailers and the improvements necessary to make them able to handle the abuses of off-road travel. Trailers are great and I still contemplate getting one. They are a great option.

gunsandgearnetwork

I was looking for a sturdy ground tent for mostly state campground camping with the family. We ended up with a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas springbar tent. It's incredible, but it is really heavy and takes up a lot of space.

We probably didn't need the size of the 10x14, but I really wanted the large ventilation windows on the sides, which is only available in the 10x14. It's huge inside--you can stand up with a foot to spare anywhere in the tent, sets up surprisingly quickly for its size, and feels really well made. But, damn. For real. It's heavy.

I agree, hard to beat a Kodiak tent for what you get. In my opinion if weight is not a factor this is the one to get. Setup takes 20 minutes or less and take down with a stake puller and its bag design is quick also. Did I mention this thing can take some serious wind and rain and stay bone dry on the inside. :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
You peeps should read the home page more. :) Anywho.....

After two years of dedicated testing two-person systems. Almost 18 of them to be exact. This is by far the best. I mean insane best. Nothing comes close. As good as you'll get to our $4,000 home bed.

https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-nemo-equipment-symphony-luxury-duo-sleep-system/

BTW, nothing about it feels like sleeping on the ground. Certainly easier to get in and out of than a darn RTT.

brodiee2

Ditched my RTT last season and have been using a fairly cheap ground tent with a Thermarest Neo Air Dream for about a year now. Every time I use the neo air it blows me away how comfortable it is. Ordered an oz rv-3 today and hope to pick it up from Montana shipping depot next week as I am buying from Canada and they won't ship it here do to some b.s. rules on fire proofing... also looking to pick up a cot to put my mattress on top of, probably one of cabelas units.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
You peeps should read the home page more. :) Anywho.....

After two years of dedicated testing two-person systems. Almost 18 of them to be exact. This is by far the best. I mean insane best. Nothing comes close. As good as you'll get to our $4,000 home bed.

https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-nemo-equipment-symphony-luxury-duo-sleep-system/

BTW, nothing about it feels like sleeping on the ground. Certainly easier to get in and out of than a darn RTT.

Personally the size of that and set up seems a bit much IMO. If I had a tent I'd do a cot since it does get me off the ground and I can store items underneath it. Plus Nemo=$. I'd go with a cheaper alternative first especially considering the cost of the better tents. Try a cot and pad first, if it doesn't cut it then Nemo might be the way to go. No arguing that Nemo is a well respected manufacturer.

Last edited:

fjmario

Adventurer
Im thinking of going this route...
GO FSR Awning Tent
2016-07-07-18.42.41-470x313.jpg

With their Rhino Bed
34004-Stretcher-01-1-470x252.jpg

I currently use the ARB awning room but its not fun to set up and break down,
also the windows dont seal on the bottom so the air always flows through the tent.

+ this FSR awning tent can detach from the awning and stand alone so you can leave base camp and keep your tent there.

Grenade1

We went with the Disk-O-Beds last year. I originally purchased one set then quickly decided that my kids would no way let mom and dad sleep in them so waited for REI sale and got another. To sleep on, they are awesome. We put a thermorest on and you are good to go. Saves a TON of room in the tent for walking around and getting out of the tent. A couple of draw backs are they are heavy, take up a considerable amount of room when transporting, especially 2 sets, and not a quick set up and take down. Oh and expensive. Once you are past that, they are excellent. I would say the pros outweigh the cons if you have a family of 4. If it was just the wife and I, I'd go with regular old cots and save a pile of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne