Making the transition from rtt to ground tent

Mgyver1

Observer
We went with the Disk-O-Beds last year. I originally purchased one set then quickly decided that my kids would no way let mom and dad sleep in them so waited for REI sale and got another. To sleep on, they are awesome. We put a thermorest on and you are good to go. Saves a TON of room in the tent for walking around and getting out of the tent. A couple of draw backs are they are heavy, take up a considerable amount of room when transporting, especially 2 sets, and not a quick set up and take down. Oh and expensive. Once you are past that, they are excellent. I would say the pros outweigh the cons if you have a family of 4. If it was just the wife and I, I'd go with regular old cots and save a pile of money.

Have you seen the Kid-O-Bunks? They are just like the Discobeds but a bit smaller for the kids. I've got a set on order but that's our plan for our ground tent and to put the kids on in the RTT's annex when I get one. I like my disco beds, & my dad got the Arm-O-Bunks off eBay for cheaper than the Disc-O-Bed, they're heavier duty and made in the USA.

The discobed is not as comfortable as the RTT, but I think it's much better than an air mattress. I do need to try a cot pad or Thermarest though, that may make them more comfy.

Have you seen the Kid-O-Bunks? They are just like the Discobeds but a bit smaller for the kids. I've got a set on order but that's our plan for our ground tent and to put the kids on in the RTT's annex when I get one. I like my disco beds, & my dad got the Arm-O-Bunks off eBay for cheaper than the Disc-O-Bed, they're heavier duty and made in the USA.

The discobed is not as comfortable as the RTT, but I think it's much better than an air mattress. I do need to try a cot pad or Thermarest though, that may make them more comfy.
We use the Thermarest Dreamtime pads on top of your discobeds and sleep very well. Albeit heavy, cumbersome and a pin in the *** to set-up, they certainly are comfortable to sleep on and free up a ton of space in the tent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dman93

Adventurer
We used ground tents for 20-30 years with just 3/8" neoprene pads in our youth, then thermarest, then I got an Xped air matttress for solo trips (excellent IMO). Last year we got an RTT but found it didn't work for our style of camping, so went back to ground tent this year. The big change is we've started using an old tri-fold foam mattress we've had as a kid's sleepover pad for decades. It's queen size when open, about 4" thick foam, folds to about 25x58" by 12" thick. Fits perfectly in our tent, no inflate/deflate, and the form factor when folded is really no more than a couple of big pads or cots. Pretty light too; I just stow it on a short platform across the front of the bed in myDCSB Tacoma. We use a comforter on top and a fitted sheet over the pad. Not very"ExPo" but very functional. Here's something similar I found online, for about $150US
https://www.houzz.com/photos/852766...ull-contemporary-outdoor-cushions-and-pillows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94