Another military trailer build

LikeABoss

Observer
I put a small inverter/generator in the toolbox after lining it with some sound proofing. It's a fairly quiet unit. I think it will be tolerable with the front of the toolbox open. I'll run it pretty rarely but it also charges the batteries when running. The solar panel works so well I can't imaging depleting them though with a few LEDs.

IMG_0917_zpsowrq0w2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fold out exterior table.

IMG_0151_zpsu0yb4rrg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LikeABoss

Observer
I'm not a bright color kind of guy. I thought I should keep it somewhat military appearing so started with a base of Monstaliner in OD green after prep and primer. I still have a second coat to put on in these pictures.

IMG_0246_zpshvaft3im.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0296_zpsztbeauxu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LikeABoss

Observer
Then I'll add some kryptek. Ultimately I'm going for a look like the front of the toolbox in the last picture. The front still needs some structural work and base layer of Monstaliner.

IMG_0285_zpshikonmq4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0283_zpsfggrvgfx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0291_zps1lysod9o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LikeABoss

Observer
Holy cow this is awesome . Any idea what the weight has come in at yet ?

Thanks. I don't yet. I still hope < 3500 but we will see. I know my aluminum skin thickness is way overkill but I was able to use a much wider spaced steel frame underneath due to this, offsetting this somewhat. The dual spares, 70lb massive aluminum set of steps and just the overall proportions have undoubtedly contributed to the creeping obesity though... I'll see if I can use the local sand and gravel scale.

LikeABoss

Observer
IMPRESSIVE BUILD!!!! Wow :)

Thanks. It has been fun. The last pictures are how it sits now. I still need to finish up the front end a bit, finish paint, rooftop water collection, get it weighed and make sure my axle size is ok and at some point change the brakes to electric. I noticed most of these trailers have pretty long tongues. I built storage out the front as I thought I had a ton of room. The way my hitch is set up (GEN-Y hitch) it sits away from the truck. I have enough room to jack it to 90 degrees backing up if I wanted to and the overall trailer is long enough that I can back up fine. Any reason to have a longer tongue otherwise? I suppose if I were jackknifed and off camber I could get in trouble. Any ideas or suggestions for improvements or additions are welcome.

kzam

Observer
I love it!

It looks like a mobile command center! The only thing that would make it better would be the ability to call in artillery strikes on mini-van driving soccer moms who talk on the phone instead of paying attention where they're going.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Looks great! Only suggestion would be to put canvas sleeves on the chains to protect the coating. The military did this even with the heavy CARC coating.

LikeABoss

Observer
Well, I was way off. Turns out when you're overzealous with every piece you weld or bolt on plus add some unnecessary crap the weight adds up. With most of my gear, minus a full cooler it weighs 4300 lbs. One small thing though, my ATV weighs 1000lbs. So I'm looking at 5500 lbs fully loaded. The intention has never been crazy trails with the size of my tow vehicle and that's a light load for me to pull while on pavement so I'm not worried about anything but the axle. Supposedly they are rated for 4200. The 8 bolt and from I've read (haven't pulled it apart yet) the bearings and spindles are more on par with a 7k axle. I suppose the torsion rubber may be the limiting factor. I have an email out to Schutt to see if 4200 is reality. If it is, I'll get a 6 or 7k axle from them with electric disc brakes and it will bolt right up and be a nice brake upgrade while I'm at it.

Well, I was way off. Turns out when you're overzealous with every piece you weld or bolt on plus add some unnecessary crap the weight adds up. With most of my gear, minus a full cooler it weighs 4300 lbs. One small thing though, my ATV weighs 1000lbs. So I'm looking at 5500 lbs fully loaded. The intention has never been crazy trails with the size of my tow vehicle and that's a light load for me to pull while on pavement so I'm not worried about anything but the axle. Supposedly they are rated for 4200. The 8 bolt and from I've read (haven't pulled it apart yet) the bearings and spindles are more on par with a 7k axle. I suppose the torsion rubber may be the limiting factor. I have an email out to Schutt to see if 4200 is reality. If it is, I'll get a 6 or 7k axle from them with electric disc brakes and it will bolt right up and be a nice brake upgrade while I'm at it.

HOLY COW. Good thing you have a truck that can pull it :)

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
The technical manual for these trailers states 4200 lbs total weight, with a 420 lb tongue weight with the HMMWV tires. The M1101 trailers were derated to be used with lighter vehicles but were identical to the M1102.

M1101 -M1102 wt tag.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles