1982 Fleet Flatbed Conversion Project

GoinBoardin

Observer
The new (upper) floor is sealed, and then glued down to the frame and floor insulation, drying overnight with a bunch of stuff sitting on it to "clamp". The wall insulation is all cut to size and installed. The door is coming along nicely, just needs glass installed, Dicor on the outer trim, and mounted to the frame.

Next on the list is finishing exterior trim, jack mounting brackets, and interior paneling. After that I'll switch to roofing related stuff.

2017-08-07 00.21.04.jpg

2017-08-07 00.22.52.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
I sure hope so!

I finished the door tonight. This weekend should be good to get some more done; either exterior corner trim and interior panels, or roof lift mechanism.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Getting closer to camping

Made some progress. Today I'll be working on tube framed lift mechanisms.

1.25"x0.125" aluminum angle was used for exterior trim. Bonded on with Sikaflex 252. Lift brackets were made of 1.5"x0.1875" aluminum angle and attached over the exterior trim. These are through bolted to the steel section of the frame with G8 5/16" bolts. The nuts are tack welded to the frame.
exterior lift brackets.jpg
Tack welding nuts to frame
Interior mounting lift brackets.jpg
Exterior front shot.
exterior front.jpg
The interior panels were glued in place. This is just a textured panel from a home supply store. Cheap, light, won't rot, no paint required. You can also see the aluminum angle I put on the cracked rear frame. This dramatically stiffened the rear wall. It is Sikaflexed in place with rivets every ~6" (air riveter is sooo nice!).
interior panels mounted.jpg
Once the interior panels were in, I was able to mount the bed slide out supports.
Bed slid in.jpg
The bed is around 45" wide when slide out. With the 2.5" oak face board, the 3/4" thick ply is sturdy. I'm ~170lbs and not concerned with strength. A much heavier person might not want to copy this design.
bed slid out.jpg
I'm dog sitting. This guy helped me test the bed.
bed testing.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thanks! Yeah it is spacious, especially with no appliance installed yet. I want to get it to a usable shell first, then move to interior.

On that topic, I'll be using the 2-way Dometic fridge, adding a propane storage bay (20lb), battery storage and small electrical junction box. There will also be a "kitchen" counter over the fridge & propane storage with a 2-burner stove & sink. No water tanks since it's so cold half the year. A lower bed will go along the passenger side wall with storage underneath. All appliances are in the front half of the camper, to keep weight up front.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Roof is installed. Ready for canvas. Then its roof vent reinstall, caulk the exterior, and load it on the truck as a shell. The interior build out can be done on the truck, while I use it. Should help guide my design choices too. Also getting new tires on this week; 235/85R16 E-rated Falkens. Should be a nice upgrade for hauling.
20170924_132142.jpg

2623.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
My roommate gave me a hand and we started the canvas install. I tucked it under the roof skin. It's currently just hanging down from the roof with the bottom loose.

Should I install it with the roof slightly lower than full height, so it's under tension at full lift? Or just pull it tight as I secure the bottom?

My roommate gave me a hand and we started the canvas install. I tucked it under the roof skin. It's currently just hanging down from the roof with the bottom loose.

Should I install it with the roof slightly lower than full height, so it's under tension at full lift? Or just pull it tight as I secure the bottom?

Can't help with your question, but I hope you post how you did it. My brother is coming tomorrow to help me with my canvas. I will sew 3 panels together first and then hang it, to get the final measurement for closure.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

That's what I would do. Not quite the same mechanism, but I do know that's how other pop-top stuff (vans, etc.) are done. IIRC, John at Ursa Minor basically ratchet-straps the top to compress it down slightly (because otherwise the gas springs push it up to maximum) and then fixes the bottom of the canvas. This ensures tight canvas and also helps to limit the arc of the hinges. (The complex 6-bar linkage used in Wesfalias and UM tops can bind a bit if you exceed the designed arc).

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thanks for the info. No issue with over extended lifting mechanism for me, but a tight canvas will help roof stability.

I glued the seam this morning, I'll experiment with attachment tonight.

I used an air stapler with narrow crown staples to tack the canvas up. It hangs nicely, so everything seems square. Upper trim ring will go on tonight. Then I'll move to lower attachment.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Fleet! Not Grandby.

I never looked too close at the original manufacturer placard. But it was on the bench last night, upside down, and the light caught it just right.
20170929_102203.jpg
20170929_102224.jpg
It's a Fleet I! Originally equipped with an icebox, I presume. No wonder it fits the truck so well. It's 78" wide, 90" long on the exterior. It was advertised as a Grandby, and due to modifications, it fit the Tacoma the seller had it on just terribly. Which reassured me it was a Grandby. I never looked into it further. I thought it seemed short for an 8' box...Anyway.

Here's the canvas tacked in place with narrow crown staples. It is tucked under the roof skin, for better water proofing. Wow, this makes the garage look even smaller than it is. It will be nice to get this out of there, been cramped all summer.
20170927_232549.jpg

Last night I installed the upper trim ring, then ran Dicor around the perimeter. Sealed up the exterior corner trim. I didn't have time to start on securing the lower part of the canvas.

The glue for the canvas is very strong. I glued two scraps together; cannot separate them now!

GoinBoardin

Observer
Canvas is fully secured. I used ratchet straps to pull it down a little before securing the bottom. I think I should have gone a little tighter but this works.

My lift mechanism works, but not well. I'm going to modify it as it currently pinches the canvas when down. And having the hoop attached to the roof was a poor idea, since it requires you to push down on the bar instead of up. So I'll be inverting what I have. Sucks to redo things but oh well. The reason I made one hoop with two legs instead of two hoops like the EMT style is so the lifts can fold into themselves and not take up mattress storage space.

GoinBoardin

Observer
With the canvas finished and roof all sealed, I couldn't help but load it up and get it bolted down. I am pretty stoked :bike_rider:
20171003_204809.jpg
The lift mechanism will be changed as soon as possible, but otherwise it is a livable shell at this time. It's bolted down with four 1/2" grade 8 bolts, through the floor (which includes steel tube). The front two bolts thread into existing captured nuts in the flatbed, while the rear uses long bolts with springs under the flatbed. Ideally, the springs would be up front, and solid mounted in rear. I may do that if I find undesirable flex happening, but this works for the time being.
20171003_205948.jpg
20171003_210310.jpg
The camper drops the rear hitch of the truck ~1.4", which isn't even close to leveling the truck. For reference, 2000lbs dropped it close to 4". Driving, it feels like about 700lbs on the deck, and the suspension handles it very well. No notable body roll, no bouncing, no sway. It does not feel like a loaded truck, which bodes well for off-road adventures. I put E-rated Falken WildPeak AT3W's on last week (235/85R16), they're at 50psi rear, 38psi front, and feel about right. I went up to 75mph on the interstate, with much less wind noise than the day I brought it home. I'll probably cruise more like 65mph, as I'm sure my fuel economy would be pretty poor at 75+. I'll have to watch the PCM and see what kind of speed keeps the engine running in closed loop.

Here's a photo from this morning, in daylight.
20171004_123629.jpg

Last edited:

GoinBoardin

Observer
I fixed the lift mechanisms so the canvas doesn't get pinched. I have not inverted them for better lifting; not sure I will. I'll try it out as is for now and see if it's a "driveway problem" or a real problem. I have 4 36" lifting struts sitting in the corner but haven't tried to see if I can use them with my extra canvas height. I don't think I can with 34" canvas & 36" struts, but maybe I can get creative with mounts.

Interior design is a bit daunting with a flatbed. I think there's almost too many options! I'll start with propane storage, battery, and fridge install first. Any input from the peanut gallery is appreciated. I'm planning to spend tonight in it, just run up a forest service road close to home for a shake down trip. Next weekend will be a "real" camping trip with some friends, and rough roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles