1982 Fleet Flatbed Conversion Project

GoinBoardin

Observer
It works!

Packed up last night and went for a quick camp trip at a lake about 45 miles from home. It involves a little four wheeling, but nothing too challenging. If felt good to test it out, and have everything work as I'd planned. Lot's left for the interior but at least I can use it now!
20171008_110335.jpg

20171008_130319.jpg

20171008_131449.jpg

20171008_131738.jpg

20171008_115950.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
Hey Boarding, What did you do to stop the canvas from being pinched by the lifter? I have a similar issue with no real fix yet.

Hopefully this helps. It involved cutting and welding the lift hoops. I didn't paint the rear lift mechanism yet, as I wanted to make sure it worked before bothering, so excuse the raw steel...

Before; when this folds it tries to cut the canvas like a dull scissor:
20171003_205640.jpg

After; with a jog in the upright so the canvas isn't pinched.
20171010_105547.jpg

The design of this lift setup enables me to leave bedding in the cabover; approximately 3" thick worth, maybe a bit more.

Hopefully that helps! I know the EMT is a bit different but this could plant ideas for you.

GoinBoardin

Observer
I built a temporary kitchen; just a small counter for the stove & sink, to get ideas for a more permanent solution during these early camp trips. Then some friends and I headed up to the mountains for Friday night. It snowed overnight, which made for some fun getting back out. That is, until I broke a front axle u-joint. But, a tug from a friend's truck got me through the rest of the rocks, and chains on the rear axle let me finish the trail on my own after that in 2x4. Tall and skinny tires with chains can dig; I think I had less trouble getting out than my unchained friend in 4x4.
22310707_10101722221266855_3941946299052832451_n.jpg

20171014_180755.jpg

Utah bound in two weeks for a mtb trip. Definitely excited for that.

Good to see you getting out in it. With a few trips experience, you will know better how you want to do the interior. My FWC is my 3rd truck camper, so I pretty much knew how I wanted mine set up inside. Heading out on a 10 day trip Sunday, so I'll see if I did things right.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Shellback, I was wondering how you knew just what you were doing. That makes sense. This is my first camper, so some test setups seemed wise. Enjoy your 10 day trip, that sounds awesome. I'm lucky to get anything more than a weekend in.

Nick, I had a 20 lb propane bottle to feed the stove & a Mr. Buddy Heater (9k btu catalytic heater). Didn't run the heat while sleeping. With no insulation on the canvas at this time, it dumps heat out the sides pretty fast, so I just grabbed my trusty -20F Marmot bag to sleep in and was plenty warm.

After that trip, my priorities are: canvas insulation, powered fan, window insulation (Reflectix that snaps or velcros around the whole window frames), and a good rug for entry. With 15F temps, catalytic heating, both stove burners cooking breakfast, and three guys inside, the condensation was pretty substantial. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a furnace, so combustion water vapor is exhausted to the outside. Solar dropped down on the list, because I have 105amp/hr battery, and simply don't use much of it at this time. The truck alternator tops it off before I get home.

Some things that worked well: Battery setup. Entry grab handle and small folding step. Stove. Slide out bed; being able to sit up is very nice. Insulated floor was worth it. Lift mechanism; not perfect but does the job & very stable in wind.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Rolled over a scale today at 6300lbs. That was camper, recovery gear, propane, extra battery, spare tire, tire chains, tools, myself, half tank of fuel, plus random crap in the truck (Hi-Lift, compressor, blankets, etc.). There may be merit in a skeletal camper mounting frame, where I'd remove the steel flatbed (440lbs in itself). The truck has a GVWR of 6250, so I am over capacity. Good example of why a half ton requires attention to weight! To go camping, solo, I'd have an additional 50-100 pounds of food/gear, plus up to another 100lbs of fuel. 250lbs over gvwr doesn't alarm me, but tells me to watch it in the future.

Weight loss opportunities for this truck:
1. Flatbed removal: -300 lbs
2. Rear seat: ~-50lbs
3. Less "junk": ~-30lbs

Last edited:
Did you ever get a light weight on your rig? Curious what your actual build weighs.
Over weight was the reason for my FWC build. My last truck camper was a Travel Lite 770SL. The SL was supposed to designate "super light". The sticker showed a weight of 1350 with propane and a fridge. I carried it on a 1/2 ton Dodge, and it did very well handling, pulling and stopping. When I bought my new 1/2 ton Chevy last Oct, I took it right to the scale. It rang up 5680 #s with myself and a full tank of fuel. GVW is 7200 #s. I loaded the camper on the truck and rang up 7380 #s. The camper was 1700#s! I was already over my GVW by 180 #s, and that's without the wife, provisions or the tongue weight of my boat. My target weight for my FWC build was 1000#s. That's what the glove box sticker recommends. I think they take multiple factors into determining that weight. Obviously a taller hardside camper has a bigger affect on handling that a pop up, so it's just not weight they consider. When I loaded my FWC and went to the scale, I rang up 6780 #s. That's 1100 #s over my original scale reading. I'd have to guess my suspension upgrade, and the camper hold down kit with Fastguns probably comes close to 100 #s, so I think I hit my target weight pretty close. I've got 420 #s to play with. I always tow a boat so I tend to load it with all the extra gear. That helps because I'm probably only adding 10% of the actual gear weight to the trucks GVW.

GoinBoardin

Observer
I don't have a recent, definite empty weight for the truck as it currently exists, but not totally in the dark either. Long ago, it was 5200 lbs empty with 1/4 tank fuel, no tools, no gear, or people. Since then I've added heavier wheels/tires, recovery points up front, recovery gear, and the flatbed (flatbed is essentially a wash on weight, built it that way). Estimating the camper is around 750 lbs in its unfinished state, with 350lbs of me/tools/gear/etc.

I'll run over to the Cat scale down the street one of these days, camper loaded, then take it off at home, run back and reweigh, to keep gear/tools/fuel constant.

7200gvwr is much better than these old Ford's, and it doesn't seem like curb weight is too much more, especially considering the amenities. You should be pretty well set. I agree on putting extra weight in the boat though. A half ton pulls weight better than hauls it, just make sure trailer brakes are working.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Interior update

Hanging out in the camper, working on some writing. Nice to have a plan come together. I put a fork mount for my bike in here too, so I have secure bike storage on the road now. Pretty amazing the space in here, especially when it's just me.
20171022_220043.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
Fourth outing; first multi day trip

Drove out to Fruita, CO and then Moab, UT for some biking and camping. There were five of us in total. We had great weather and a fun time. The camper was nice for cooking meals. A highlight was riding The Whole Enchilada, super fun trail. I averaged around 13mpg driving between 65 to 75mph: not terrible considering I get around 15mpg empty (highway) in this truck. It was around 800 miles round trip. I'm very happy with how the truck handles the camper, it feels very stable and easy to drive. Starting to get a better idea of what I want in the camper interior too, but no rush to build anything further. Just keep using it.
20171028_130759.jpg

20171027_165406.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles