1982 Fleet Flatbed Conversion Project

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've been using HH-66 for years, including to hold thigh straps into whitewater canoes which carry a large load when rolling. It holds very well.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Frame progress

The floor plywood is all sealed (3 coats spar varnish, 2 coats oil based enamel paint) and glued/screwed into the frame with self-drilling & tapping screws. One last coat of enamel went on after the ply was screwed down. I did this with the frame upside down, before mounting to the rest of the camper frame. A coat of paint went on the steel tube frame this morning (except outside; wanted bare metal for future exterior panel bonding). Once that's dry I'll mount the upper section of camper frame to the new base.
20170605_195611.jpg

20170605_230054.jpg

The canvas and HH-66 glue came in yesterday. I'll be ordering headliner today. I'm trying to keep momentum up...don't want to be working on this forever but I also want to do it right the first time. This weekend should be good for some productivity. I'd like to get siding on within a two weeks as I know that'll be a big boost of progress/moral.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Anyone have input on how much ventilation is needed in my battery compartment? I plan to have a designated battery box, with outside ventilation. Trying to determine what size of vent would do the job (to vent hydrogen gas during charging). I did not go for a sealed AGM, just a plain lead acid battery. I'll be starting with one 12V, 105 amp/hr battery, but want to be able to go to dual 6V eventually.

GoinBoardin

Observer
The upper frame & lower frames are attached, cabover bed wood is installed. Planning for siding next weekend. This weekend I'll tie up some loose ends to get ready for it. Here's pictures of the frame before attaching, and after with cabover installed.
20170607_193137.jpg
20170614_121947.jpg

Looks great, any more progress with the siding? I've slowed down quite a bit on mine, too hot to work on it. Had planned to have it ready for a mid July trip, but cancelled. I won't camp again until Sept, so no need to push the project.

kerry

Expedition Leader
An opinion about your canvas build now that I see the tiny window in the existing canvas: Our Northstar TS1000 has huge windows pretty close to 360 degrees worth. We love that. I recommend doing that with your new canvas. The difference in work would be negligible if you are putting in any windows at alll.

GoinBoardin

Observer
No progress on siding; I've been busy with work and unable to run to Denver to buy it (Montroy is only open during the weekdays). The roof is removed, recurved/arced, stripped down, repainted. I pulled the door apart yesterday to cut 8" off the bottom and while I did find some rot, it is serviceable. Hopefully I can get that together & done during the week nights this week. After that I'll make lift mechanisms.

I set the frame on the flatbed after modifying the headache rack, to setup the mounting while the camper was still lightweight. Cabover gap is acceptable at ~4.5" (my flatbed sits up high for under deck ramp storage). I did some light frame twisting with a floor jack, and it looks like there isn't much twist in the flatbed. Some spring mounts should keep the camper in good shape when twisting things up extensively.
20170624_203443.jpg
FrameFitting.jpg

Thanks for the tips on the canvas. I'm either going no window to keep it dead simple or windows everywhere.

kerry

Expedition Leader
With vinyl fabric and HH-66 once nice thing is you could make a windowless canvas, make the windows and screens later and simply glue them in to the vinyl and cut the window hole out. You'd probably have to have someone hold up a piece of plywood against the vinyl from the inside to get a tight flat bond but other than that it would be an easy job.

GoinBoardin

Observer
I finally picked up siding and installed it. Went with 3mm E-panel from Montroy in Denver (very good service!) and Sikaflex 252 to bond it to the tube frame. Also began shortening & rebuilding my door. The door frame is done but the door itself needs to be cut and have some wood replaced, then reattached to the door frame. Pics once the door & windows are in. Right now it's not much to look at.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. I've been working on the door (needed all new framing and skins) and cutting/fitting insulation when I have time in the late evenings. Life is a little hectic so it's not going as swift as I'd hoped but that's okay.

Goin, I got my door done with one small boo boo. I narrowed mine and had to cut a recess into the window frame for the door knob. Unknowing I had the frame upside down and cut the recess on the wrong side. Had I mounted the window that way, the top glass would have been inside the bottom glass. So water could have run between them into the camper. In the picture you will see the cut out on the right side of the frame. I may paint it black so you will only notice it up close.
door reduced 2.jpgdoor reduced.jpg

I just finished and installed my mock up lift panels. My camper had none when I got it. I wanted to make sure they fold properly before building a permanent set out of composite materials. I was concerned about them folding properly, as there was a 2" difference between the rivet holes in the top, and the camper body from front to back. I knew when they folded. I'd have to correct for that so they would fold flat. Here's a picture of them folded. The bottom hinge mounts on a vertical surface, and the top hinge mounts on a horizontal surface. You can see in the picture that I made up the difference, 1 inch at each panel. This was done by proper placement of the center hinge.
hinge pin difference.jpg
I've got all the measurements for the panels, and where to position the hinges for proper folding. I had to buy new hinges and got them from McMaster & Carr. If you need ant of the info, let me know.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Shellback,
I'm planning on a tubular lifting setup instead of panels but appreciate the info. Bummer about the door mistake but that just adds character in my opinion. No real harm there.

I've installed two windows with butyl tape, begun installing xps foam, and cut a thin ply for the floor. The door will hopefully go together soon, everything is cut, wood is all sealed, just need to glue and screw it all together nice and square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles