Special Midland Radio Offer For Expedition Portal Members

This is great! Perfect timing, since I was looking to purchase the 115 soon anyways.

Thanks!

EDIT: for anyone that can answer. Can the Midland MXT 115 be used as a normal radio when in repeater mode? I got one of these for my truck, and Want to be able to use it and set it up as a repeater for friends and such who I'm wheeling with.

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
So I'd like to get a 6db gain antenna and mag base for my MXT-115 but cannot add to cart.

You might look at the Tram 1177 antenna ($16.95) (http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/tram-1177-1565.html) and the Tram 1233 mag mount ($24.99) (https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Min...4872945&sr=8-1&keywords=tram+nmo+magnet+mount)

I can't speak for their mag mounts but I use their dual band ham radio antennas and they have held up well to getting beat on by trees daily.

If you needed something a little shorter and more descrete: https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-410-...d=1494873288&sr=8-1&keywords=uhf+tram+antenna

Thoreau

$80/5yrs seems pretty steep compared to $15/10yrs (expected cost for a ham license). If you consider it as $160/10yrs vs. $15/10yrs it is practically ten times as expensive. They aren't doing anybody any favors.

If you want to be TOTALLY accurate, ham licenses are actually 100% free. The test and initial licensing often costs money but that's entirely a result of picking the wrong VEC. ARRL, for example, charges $15 to test/file the paperwork. Other testing coordinators, such as Laurel VEC charge nothing. So it's entirely possible to take the test and get your license without a single cent out of pocket.

Renewal is also 100% free. Log in to the FCC ULS system with your FRN, click a few times, done.

So $16/yr for licensee/family for GMRS with no testing vs. $0/yr for amateur (but every person needs a license and has to pass the test.)

To me, neither route is cost prohibitive, but for most people the real issue is the testing requirement. It's simply easier (and certainly less daunting to most) to go the GMRS route. And as an Extra class ham, I'd still say that GMRS is a massive upgrade from CB, and can be just about as effective as ham for many uses/needs.

Kinger

Observer
And as an Extra class ham, I'd still say that GMRS is a massive upgrade from CB

This is it. I didn't look at my MXT-115 as a stand in for HAM. It's a CB replacement. I'm in the Midland unit for maybe a little more money (or equal money, when I start to think about SWR meters and what not) and it's SO MUCH BETTER for a simple, clear trail comm. That's it.

This really isn't comparable to HAM. So let's just stop making that comparison.

TheBoondocker

Thanks for the promo code put my order in on the 16th ordered a 115 and a set of ht's was also hoping for the 6db gain ant.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Received the FCC license on Wednesday, radio on Thursday and did a rough installation. The power harness is too short for my mounting location. I added 10 feet (power and ground) of wire today and routed everything out of sight. I checked it with a walkie talkie and it works well enough at 50 feet. Haven't had an opportunity to check the range, repeater operation, etc.

mtx.jpg

MidlandUSA

Supporting Sponsor
Received the FCC license on Wednesday, radio on Thursday and did a rough installation. The power harness is too short for my mounting location. I added 10 feet (power and ground) of wire today and routed everything out of sight. I checked it with a walkie talkie and it works well enough at 50 feet. Haven't had an opportunity to check the range, repeater operation, etc.

View attachment 401502

Love the install. The compact size of the MXT105 and MXT115 give you so many mounting options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles