Special Midland Radio Offer For Expedition Portal Members

MidlandUSA

Supporting Sponsor
In celebration of our new partnership with Expedition Portal, Midland Radio is offering a 20% off on MidlandUSA.com to all Expedition Portal members this weekend only. With this coupon, you'll be able to get the lowest prices on MXT105, MXT115 and MXT400 GMRS radios anywhere. MidlandUSA.com also offers free shipping on all orders over $99. Enter the code below at checkout to redeem the coupon. Thanks for supporting Midland Radio and Expedition Portal!

ExpPortal1.jpg

**This coupon expires at midnight on Tuesday, May 16 and is only redeemable on MidlandUSA.com. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer.

Bitterborn

2 days too late for me..... picked up the mxt115 from cabelas. For those considering one, we tested ours with the antenna inside jeeps at back left corner and was getting between 1 & 2 miles range. We have moved antennas to cowl and will try range this weekend The USB port remains hot when radio is off. Charging an i-phone through USB causes interference on 2 channels during scanning. NOAA scan works well.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
keep in mind you need a license to use... COst about $85 for the license.
The FCC said:
In 2010, the FCC proposed to remove the individual licensing requirement for GMRS and instead license GMRS “by rule” (meaning that an individual license would not be required to operate a GMRS radio). This proposal is still pending.
An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a five-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license.
Been holding our breath for almost 7 years now.

Bitterborn

License is $80 for 5 years. No exam, fill out application on line. Received license and call sign within 48 hours by email. License covers your family as well. If your spouse doesn't want to study for a HAM this may be a viable alternative.

Anak

Stranger
License is $80 for 5 years. No exam, fill out application on line. Received license and call sign within 48 hours by email. License covers your family as well. If your spouse doesn't want to study for a HAM this may be a viable alternative.

$80/5yrs seems pretty steep compared to $15/10yrs (expected cost for a ham license). If you consider it as $160/10yrs vs. $15/10yrs it is practically ten times as expensive. They aren't doing anybody any favors.

Bitterborn

I hear you.... it was the right choice for us.... for 2 of us in vehicles it works out to $8 each a year... your mileage mat vary...

reidbailey

Observer
This is a great offer! Can you speak to what carrier is used for the free shipping? USPS, UPS or FedEx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

Observer
$80/5yrs seems pretty steep compared to $15/10yrs (expected cost for a ham license). If you consider it as $160/10yrs vs. $15/10yrs it is practically ten times as expensive. They aren't doing anybody any favors.
That $15 for the ham license isn't even for the license itself, it's just what it usually costs to take the test (you're compensating the test administrators/organizing body for their time and any materials used, none of that goes to the FCC itself). The license itself is free, and it's free to renew it, whereas the $65 for the GMRS license does go to the FCC simply to maintain the cost of a server that holds a database of the licensing information.

The only time you'd have to pay another $15 for your ham license is if you either let your license lapse for more than two years (you have to retest) or if you want to upgrade it (you have to take the test for the next level up).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FJOE

Regular Dude
Ordered the 105. Might have a drink or two and order the 115 later tonight to build out a base station at home.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I ordered the 115. I think 15 watts will be adequate for my intended use and I wanted the weather channels. I may upgrade the antenna later to increase range.

What did you order? I'm waffling between the 115 and 400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinger

Observer
So I'd like to get a 6db gain antenna and mag base for my MXT-115 but cannot add to cart. Are these unavailable from you at this time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94