Opinions on using palates for building storage boxes.

Ashton

Broke a few apart. Some were a nice cherry color. Using them for a storage box 24" long x 32" wide x 12" deep. 4x2's and 2x2's as frame. Wondering what I can use to seal 'er up after I put her together. Would like to keep the wood look to it.

FJOE

Regular Dude
A few coats of clear poly would make it look nice and keep it that way for a while. I am always on the lookout for nice pallets. I have found some cherry, walnut, and oak. They make nice Adirondack chairs when you put a little time and effort in to it.

Last edited:

Ashton

Hadn't thought to be that brave yet. My beautiful woman wants a head board to lean on for reading in bed when we go camping. I figured I would order a cedar board for that and fill with what scrap I have left from these palates. Getting them broke up seemed to be the hardest part. I've cracked a board or two putting it together so I thought I might seal it up somehow to keep it as strong as possible, while retaining looks. I'll check out the options in clear polys.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Clear poly will eventually peel and flake, and it will turn every splinter into a small dagger. Better choice would probably be to wire brush everything thoroughly and then oil the wood. Log oil or light color exterior oil transparent stain or something similar. Since you are in CA, your choices in oil products are very limited.

Ashton

I'll take a look at that too. Am I looking for a wood stain like one that would be used on hardwood floors? My intentions are to let it be rough look, but have some weather protection so it can sit out at camp and not be greatly affected. I know it's not going to be waterproof, but resistant is my goal.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I usually sand to 220, and rub with linseed oil on things that are staying inside, or will be covered. It has turned out nice on a couple of cabinets as well.

Ashton

Thought I'd throw a couple pictures up of the progress. I didn't make the thing square, just been kind of winging it, but it's close. Measure and cut and measure and cut....

Built the sides first.. should have done better to square these, but this whole project was intended to be a quick box made from scrap.
IMG_0656_zpstt2mzzsg.jpg

Mocked it up to see if everything fits. It does and I have the ability to make a pull out tray or something.
IMG_0659_zpsav6iyp93.jpg

All 4 sides secured. I really should have squared this before I moved on. Ah fudge it, I can't be bothered (to be honest I didn't learn about squaring this until I had the floor of the box almost done :p)
IMG_0660_zpsdzwg9yvk.jpg

Bracing the bottom of the box so i can put the floor in. The planks I am using are not the same dimensions, so a bit of puzzle piecing was needed to make the bottom work out.
IMG_0661_zpsayizs08f.jpg

With the floor in.
IMG_0663_zpsdwjemhau.jpg

IMG_0664_zpsir8uddfk.jpg

Starting to work on the center divider, which will also stabilize the floor and walls some more.
IMG_0665_zpsanjv5nds.jpg

Going to put some feet on this thing, and look at creating a drop in tray I can remove with utensils and such in it or basic dry goods (coffee and such). I still need to get the percolator/french press and some more plates and cups in, but this is going to work well me thinks. As a back up, I'll remove the dividers and use it as a fire wood box.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
A simple finish that is weather resistant, easy to apply and easy to refresh would be a blend of tung oil (10%), boiled linseed oil(40%), turpentine (25%), spar varnish (25%) (NOT spar poly), plus a little exterior oil stain (like Cabot's) to get a bit of color into it. If it won't be outside a lot, you can just get a small can of Minwax interior stain for the color. After you sand or wire brush the fuzz and splinters off the wood, brush the mix on liberally, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess before it starts to dry. Soak the wiping rags in a bucket of water so they don't spontaneously combust.

Ashton

A simple finish that is weather resistant, easy to apply and easy to refresh would be a blend of tung oil (10%), boiled linseed oil(40%), turpentine (25%), spar varnish (25%) (NOT spar poly), plus a little exterior oil stain (like Cabot's) to get a bit of color into it. If it won't be outside a lot, you can just get a small can of Minwax interior stain for the color. After you sand or wire brush the fuzz and splinters off the wood, brush the mix on liberally, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess before it starts to dry. Soak the wiping rags in a bucket of water so they don't spontaneously combust.

Do these mixes come pre-blended or do I mix them myself? I admit, from the research I've done I'm very tempted to get some multipurpose, food grade sealer from HD and just leave it at that. This will see outdoors and weather and such for sure though. I guess I'll keep researching and learning.

I already think I'm going to shorten the width and lessen the depth of this so that it stores in the truck better and is lighter/more efficient. Taking what I already have apart and cutting lengths off is probably what that would take, so we will see.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Do these mixes come pre-blended or do I mix them myself?
Gotta mix it yourself. Your part of this state may be different because you just have ARB but not SCAQMD rules to deal with, but in So Cal it is impossible to buy a decent exterior oil finish over the counter. The closest you can find to an over-the-counter product that would be halfway decent would be something like SuperDeck semi-transparent deck stain, but that will have a lot of pigment and still needs to be doctored to give the effect you seem to want. If I were to use that product, I'd still add BLO and turps, and probably a dash of Japan Drier to help it polymerize. If you are willing to order something online, look for a quality spar varnish from somebody like Jamestown Distributors or Fisheries Supply, and just thin it a little before you brush it on. That will give you a surface finish rather than a penetrating finish, but it will hold up OK. Remember that wooden boats get revarnished every year, but you won't need to worry about that unless your box sits out a lot.

Ashton

Thanks Ducky, I actually think I will use that recipe. I'm finding a real ownership in building this thing, even though it is just a simple storage box made from scrap lumber. I feel like the whole process of developing an idea into a finished product instills a desire to care for it and make it as quality a product as I can. I think that means it deserves a finish that will keep it looking as good as possible. Up keep of quality items is a part of life, so having those items around will serve me, like having oil or spare belts around.

I rebuilt the box. Lighter and more compact, I found the first design was a chore to lift, which meant my woman wouldn't like it at all. I also had to much space inside the box and I think items would be shifting a great deal. Lastly, when I lay down in the space where I sleep, my feet pushed into the box too much. A comfort thing yes, but that is one of my must haves. A little secret of mine is the comforts I bring to camping (read 'glamping'). Helps a man stay out in the woods more when he is comfortable.

I'll post a pic or two of the new, 2.0, slimmed down design. Not totally done and not sealed yet, of course.

Ashton

Used a jig this time. Got it to a sixteenth or two off of square. I'm ok with imperfection so long as function is not sacrificed.
IMG_0666_zpsqughv8xf.jpg

Cut 2x4's in half. Using that for framing, because that is what I had. Was able to space the boards out a bit better, which made the fit and finish a little better...
IMG_0667_zpsvk9pp3ln.jpg

Dividers back in. Had to square those up, they were way off at first. Lots of little drill holes left over from stopping cracks and drilling all the screw holes for this version. I'll coat the finish extra heavy. I will be adding 2in strips of light colored pine or similar wood product to fill in the gaps you see in this picture. The piece I intended to use was warped and I didn't feel like cutting any boards. A table saw would make a nice Christmas present this year, me thinks. Added some handles. I didn't check the leg room after the adjustment, but I should have gained 4 inches, which will be plenty for my early morning stretches.
IMG_0668_zpsih0jqjjf.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Looking better. Continuous improvement.

Re table saws: Assuming you want something sorta compact but with good capacity and a 10" blade, The Bosch is the best but awfully pricey. Best all around, considering price, is Dewalt (I have two of them). The little $100 Ryobi is surprisingly capable and often available lightly used on CraigsList (I have one of those because it's so easy to carry it to the job). The 10" Ridgid on the gravity stand is an outstanding value if you catch the right sale. Last November on Black Friday, local Home Depot had them for $229, including the base. They were sold out before 7:00am and my neighbor got the last one. He likes it.

Ashton

I almost looked for a skill saw table mount set up I could copy. I think I'll just use the excuse and get a toy. I'll be posting again when I sand, frame and finish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94