Opinions on using palates for building storage boxes.

Ashton

Good stuff! I was thinking I'm going to make a step/shower platform to throw down at camp. Easier to get in the bed of the truck and a good place to stand to keep feet from being muddy.

southpier

Expedition Leader
number one looks like number two, but number two looks like number one.

and i'm still struggling with the simple finish which requires five different products ...

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
and i'm still struggling with the simple finish which requires five different products ...
The struggle is because OP and I are in California and you can't buy a decent exterior oil finish over the counter. Everything that is any good has been banned by the EnviroNazis, so you have to mix your own. You can still get good stuff on the "northeast coast."

southpier

Expedition Leader
no. the struggle is because I don't think five separate fluids mixed in specific percentages has any relationship to the nomer "simple".

for example: "A simple finish that is weather resistant, easy to apply and easy to refresh would be a blend of tung oil (10%), boiled linseed oil(40%), turpentine (25%), spar varnish (25%) (NOT spar poly), plus a little exterior oil stain (like Cabot's) to get a bit of color into it."

jschmidt

Adventurer
Those are great. Another option is wine boxes. When I was in my 20s, we all used these for storage and making bookshelves. They're way more durable than you'd imagine. I still have one hanging in my garage.
$T2eC16ZHJHYE9nzpebcPBQy6BzEbz!--60_35.JPG

Ashton

Two is a scaled down and (mostly) squared up version of one. Much easier to move around and I still haven't made the top for it yet, so we have a surface to use in the back of the truck in the AM when coffee is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles