Best offroad trailer for a large family?

Silverhorse

Adventurer
I want a ultra capable trailer that can go most anywhere. I was planning to make/purchase a trailer and add a RTT and pull it with my 80.... But if all the kids(5) and my wife go I might need to re-think my program. I would need all the 80 interior just for bodies. So everything else would need to go on the roof and in/on a trailer... I was thinking of something the size of a Turtleback but now I'm wondering if that's large enough if everyone goes...

thanks for all the expertise on this website!

Fuji4

Observer
My suggestion would be to get something rugged like an turtleback, AT Horizon, XVenture, custom whatever, then put a Baroud on the top for the master sleeping and an enclosed foxwing awning for outdoor living space. Then get an RV5 or Jet tent (sleeps 7) to sleep the other people. For that many the big challenge will be enough water and chairs, table, etc. Turtleback has 40 gallons i think, which is plenty. but the others you would have to figure that out as most are 15-20 gallons.
If money is no object, get a PATRIOT or KIMBERLEY. You could do it all in for $15k or $40k depending on your base platform.

pazzo_fj

I do not own a Turtleback, but plenty of my friend do. They are great expedition trailers, but the challenge that I see with any trailer where the sleeping quarters is only a RTT is that you will sleep max 4 people. You could sleep more if you add cots or an air mattress in the annex. Maybe a better option, for a family of your size, is a tear drop where you sleep 2 to 3 inside and then 3 or 4 in the RTT. SoCal Teardrops and Moby1 are great options from what I hear. I'm currently building a teardrop that I'm borrowing designs from multiple tear drop vendors.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys! this has become a fairly difficult decision as everything is too small, not rugged enough or way out of my budget.. I see why so many people build their own set-ups ...

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I just got a Intech Max Flyer, it's for a 5x8 sleeping area and a pull out kitchen and a very substantial roof rack for a tent. 5x8 should be good for 3 kids. With a 12v Donetic refer ac on the roof and rack it was about 12k out the door in AZ add the tent and your ready to go for under 14k. Check their web site. Mike

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Hi Mike I looked at those as well. I called in fact, the sales guy was concerned with me wanting to put a XL tent up there so I moved on....

jus passin thru

Adventurer
The dealer I bought my trailer from had a unskined trailer on display ( there is a picture on Intechs web site) it sure looks more capeable than something made from 2x2's and plywood. But then a rooftop tent isn't in my plans and if the manafacturer is doubtful may you should be also. Mike

06TXTaco

If you haven't checked out the Patriot Trailers they are worth a look. The X1 sounds like it would fit your needs (kind size bed on top, kids room added on the side, fully galley, storage in the trailer for all your gear), but its a pricey option when fitted this way.

If you found a good deal on an AT Horizon and added an OZ tend outside the RTT annex you would get a similar setup. The big benefit with either the X1 or Horizon is you still have good interior storage space for all your gear.

I got to spend some time at Overland Expo looking at the Turtleback trailers (along with a ton of other cool designs), but the deciding factor for me was the lack of storage space in most of them. I wanted something I could keep packed with all our camping gear and still have room for clothes & kids "stuff" when it was time to leave. Some of our trips are "VERY" last minute and I wanted to be able to fill the trailer with water, food and clothes and role out of town. Add off road capability to the requirements, and the list got really short.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect setup.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Thanks for the great info @06TXTaco ! I have watched Many patriot videos, great camper! Just seems when you add the options their real pricey... Yes, I need as much storage space as possible! Doesn't the AT have custom suspension, would it be hard to service if custom pieces?

I haven't seen any campers in person so all the info is welcomed! I plan to go up to Ohio to visit the Conqueror dealer in 2 weeks... just to eye ball all their options..

I'll look back at the AT products...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior