Modifying an Italian stove for US pressure

macjack

I'm not sure if this is the right place on this forum to post this question, so please redirect me if there is a better sub forum. . .
I purchased an SMEV stove sink combo (model 8821) from a vendor in the U.K. I am in the US, and have a Volkswagen Syncro Westy that I put this hob into. The pressures of regulated propane in the US and U.K. are different, as I understand it, with the US being lower. Id like to replace the jets so that they are US spec, so that it burns better but don't know where to find the parts.
Anyone hav experience swapping out stovejets, and got a source for this kind of thing?
Much obliged in advance for any help.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
if its just a matter of pressure, don't bother modifying the unit.

Instead, get a regulator that provides the correct pressure. Or even an adjustable regulator.

I did some digging and found the manual for that unit. Looks pretty nice.

Although this little bit caught my eye...

INJECTORS

CLEANING OR REPLACING GAS INJECTORS MUST ONLY BE PERFORMED BY AUTHORISED AND QUALIFIED GAS SERVICE ENGINEERS. THE MANUFACTURER DECLINES ALL RESPONSIBILITY IN REGARD

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1211454/Smev-7003.html?page=10#manual

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
The UK run different pressures for butane and propane, and all you do is change the regulator for summer/winter gas use.

I'd suspect that the regulator will sort it out enough.

macjack

So to clarify, I have a us regulator on my VW Westfalia tank, and bought a Dometic stove from a vendor in the UK. The European standard pressure is 30 mBar, while the standard US pressure is 26 mBar. I have a US standard hot water heater (Eccotemp L5) coming off the existing regulator. The splitter for the secnd line is after the regulator, so I would rather not have two different regulators with a split between them and the tank. I am thinking that Icould replace the stove jets, though that manual that IdaSHO found makes it look like there is a special tool involved. I am not worried about voiding the warranty, but of course do take safety seriously and want it to be leak-free and worry free. I have had some advice to simply run it as is, and live with the ~11% drop in pressure, and an 8% BTU drop, according to some calculations. Mostly I plan to use it for the morning coffee hot water, and actually use a portable coleman outside the van for real cooking.

Panther-RV sells the stove retrofitted for US at about $500 USD while xtremevan.co.uk had the european version for $200 USD. So I bought the UK version, knowing that I had budget to modify if need be.

I was just wondering if others have done similar modifications to European models?

Running two different regulators is certainly an option, but that gets a little ungainly at the tank, and I don't want to scare off the propane fillers when they look at my tank. I'd rather not do that.

Joe917

Explorer
the regulator for the stove does not have to drop from tank pressure. It can be installed anywhere on the 30mb stove line(as long as it is vented to the exterior of the vehicle.
It was my understanding that Europe had dropped its standard pressure from 30mb to approx 20mb(11" US standard), I may be wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior