Best offroad trailer for a large family?

1Louder

Explorer
Any trailer with an RTT and then add a Foxwing 270 degree awning and 2 tag along tents. Not cheap but you would have plenty of room for everyone.

Capercrew02

Observer
I would reccomend a square teardrop like the hikers, they offer a ton of interior space(as much or more than a standard box trailer) then add a rtt on top, and the. You could add an awning with room, or awning with side tent like the oz tent. That could easily sleep 2-3 in the teardrop, another 2-4 up top in the rtt, 4 or more in the awning room, and 2-3 in the oz tent. It also gives you a modular approach to trips. If it's just you and the wife, keep the gear in the 80 and your trailer is ready to crash in at night, no setup or unpacking required. Haveing a few kids go, use the teardrop and rtt or Awning room. Etc.

alia176

Explorer
That's a large family and so cool that everyone gets to go camping. Realistically, I'd lord over my clan by sleeping on a RTT and have them sleep on the ground like pheasants. :) I can see the need for a trailer to haul the usual camping stuff around plus any water crafts or bikes. Frankly, I'm not sure if a '94 80 series with seven bodies in it can even get out of it's own way, let alone tow a real expedition trailer. I also don't see this 80 loaded to the gills doing hardcore/technical wheeling while towing an overpriced expedition trailer. Sorry, just playing the devil's advocate here, mean no offense. :coffeedrink:

Silverhorse

Adventurer
No offense taken sir, this is a learning process......." Realistically, I'd lord over my clan by sleeping on a RTT and have them sleep on the ground like pheasants. :) "
Now that's funny! or Quail... better yet, I'll stay in the AC and they can all get in the RTT :ylsmoke:

I'm hoping to eventually get a 200 series and pull whatever I end up with, maybe get something like this and modify it--

w-640xh-480xq-95~Gallery_Image_72954989.jpg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
A great solution I saw at work (I work at a Caravan park part time) was a Cub trailer with a metal frame above that allowed a RTT to be slid over the drawbar as the kid's bedroom, Mum and Dad then had the Cub as their bedroom.

I unfortunately only got a picture when it was hitched up, but hopefully you can see how it would work

miller_au

Adventurer
Because of the tent size, those large tent campers are great for long stays but I wouldn't exactly describe them as "ultra capable". I'd also assume that if you're looking for an ultra capable camper, you would be setting up in a new location each night? For that I dont think you can go past a RTT style trailer. You can get double RTT's that would fit 2 adults and 3 kids on the other size. As the kids got older you could move them to a stretcher (cot I think you call them in the US) in the zip on awning. This would also give you privacy for getting dressed and a place to store your luggage when you stop for the night.

A couple of double RTT examples, yours would be mounted to a tent though obviously ;) You could also look at a roll out awning with zip on walls for extra space.

folding-frame-roof-top-tent-for-cars.jpg

xl-roof-top-tent-8.jpg

Last edited:

Silverhorse

Adventurer
UPDATE

so here's where I find myself currently... we just went up and looked at the Conqueror Trailers in Ohio. I loved them, construction looked great, etc... but for my wife, going from a 30' travel trailer to a MUCH smaller unit was too much to bear.. Also she's not digging the whole TENT thing... so seems I'll need a smaller, hard shell maybe like the Jayco Hummingbird, Camplite Ultra or the Rpod 176 T

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-hummingbird/

https://www.livinlite.com/products/camplite-travel-trailers/

http://www.forestriverinc.com/produ...=173&Image=5054&ShowParent=1&ModelID=971#Main

https://cheyennecampingcenter.com/rvs/forest-river-r-pod-176t-ultra-lite-travel-trailer-with-bunks

I'm not sure how any of these would hold up durability wise? My thought process at this point would be to leave one of these options at the campground and explore with the Lanscruiser only....

flipmachine

Adventurer
depending on what you are after, our overlander model is a 5 foot high unit with a queen size mattress, could probably out fit it with one extra bunk off the walls, but then you could also add the roof top tent for extra sleeping capabilities.
18491673_1131239693647102_2467295349450839271_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke