Diesel heating for Merc Vario Pros/Cons

jostein

Adventurer
Yea we are using 10mm copper piping too. I think I'm going to run direct from the hydronic, but run everything in parallel. I'll have a valve to 'balance' the under floor heating part to get it to roughly the right temp. There will be a 12v bypass linked to a temperature switch (installed in the floor) to maintain the correct temperature. The balancing will just mean the bypass valve doesn't work as hard.

I am thinking about that too.
An alternative I am also thinking about, is to just use a flow regulation valve that I preset on the bypass. Then I use the temp sensor to turn the circ. pump on and off.
In that way I will save pump energy.
That may not be an option if you run everything in parallell on one pump though:)

BR Jostein

docka

Adventurer
Very interesting thread :)
I've teed into the engine coolant circuit on my Vario and have sited the single coil 40l surejust clarifier below the double front passenger seat so the pipe run is pretty short and routed mostly externally. I'm also going to fit a heater matrix and blower on same circuit for blown heating in the rear when engine running.
Very easy to tee off the two hoses that go to the cab heater matrix too.
It works very well so far but I do have concerns about compromising the engine coolant circuit in the event of a leak.

jostein

Adventurer
Very interesting thread :)
I've teed into the engine coolant circuit on my Vario and have sited the single coil 40l surejust clarifier below the double front passenger seat so the pipe run is pretty short and routed mostly externally. I'm also going to fit a heater matrix and blower on same circuit for blown heating in the rear when engine running.
Very easy to tee off the two hoses that go to the cab heater matrix too.
It works very well so far but I do have concerns about compromising the engine coolant circuit in the event of a leak.

Do you have a diesel heater as well, or just using your engine?

part time nomad

Adventurer
Docka, how have you tapped into the engine circuit? I have tapped into my Vario via the original cab heater pipes and basically made a bigger looped circuit, running through a heat exchanger, But I have not worked out if the cab temperature control stops the flow when turned to cold, if so it wont heat the hot water tank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne