National Luna Weekender 52L

Anyone have a NL Weekender 52L fridge/freezer dual or single fridge OR freezer model? If so, please hit me up via PM as I have some questions. Or here is fine I guess but its specific to LR power systems so that's why I posted it here.

I'm curious to know if the separated "fridge/freezer" is a better all around fridge option or the single compartment is okay.

Thanks

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Anyone have a NL Weekender 52L fridge/freezer dual or single fridge OR freezer model? If so, please hit me up via PM as I have some questions. Or here is fine I guess but its specific to LR power systems so that's why I posted it here.

I'm curious to know if the separated "fridge/freezer" is a better all around fridge option or the single compartment is okay.

Thanks

Try ElSolis

lrover109

I have a weekender fridge- freezer and like it a lot - use both sides although I probably would have been happy with just the fridge and no soggy food but freezer is a nice option and it is usually full on most trips.
I am not sure I'd be much help wiring wise as have a '67 IIA.
Got mine through the crew at Equipt - they are awesome to work with and if you reach out they will be able to answer your questions

I have a weekender fridge- freezer and like it a lot - use both sides although I probably would have been happy with just the fridge and no soggy food but freezer is a nice option and it is usually full on most trips.
I am not sure I'd be much help wiring wise as have a '67 IIA.
Got mine through the crew at Equipt - they are awesome to work with and if you reach out they will be able to answer your questions

Thanks a million on the response. I will reach out to them as I plan to buy from Equipt.

I am stuck between the two separate compartments as I am sure there will always be a reason to use both, but not need both. Can you speak to what kind of relavant load-out of fridge/freezer looks like when you pack it full? Is one too small and you wish it were bigger? Any issues with the freezer not being cold enough or the fridge being too cold due to the freezer? How much space is lost with the separate compartments?

Do you run off a secondary battery and solar?

I know I'm getting a Weekender 52L for the center seat install.....just have not decided on which one just yet.

Thanks again!

Jwestpro

Explorer
What's the LR power question? I've been using my ARB(Engel era) 40 for almost 10 yrs now. It's always been powers from a 12v drawing the 2nd battery which has always been only charged by engine via very simple but reliable Wrangler Dual Battery switch. I have several other things wired to the 2nd as well.

I will add that I've considered the freezer plus fridge but I also have a newer ARB 37 so I could use both with one set to freeze if that kind of trip were on hand. I do love the 2nd row center seat fridge slot for sure!! ;)

What's the LR power question? I've been using my ARB(Engel era) 40 for almost 10 yrs now. It's always been powers from a 12v drawing the 2nd battery which has always been only charged by engine via very simple but reliable Wrangler Dual Battery switch. I have several other things wired to the 2nd as well.

I will add that I've considered the freezer plus fridge but I also have a newer ARB 37 so I could use both with one set to freeze if that kind of trip were on hand. I do love the 2nd row center seat fridge slot for sure!! ;)

I think that answers the power question to be honest. The only other one was if the NL can be plugged into a wall outlet? I know the power range is somewhere from 9v to 220v and has the 220v plug adapter according to their website. The power range seems to mean it could get plugged in off the wall as well.

I can overcome this by pre-cooling off the 2nd battery overnight with it on the charger. What kind of charger if any do you use? Or do you charge both off the alternator only?

How long does it take for your ARB to get to fridge/freezer temp?

Jwestpro

Explorer
I haven't really timed the temp range but it would be different depending on what's in there. I've kept a full box of fresh halibut frozen though for a week until I could get it prepped and into vacume bags for the winter;). NL must have a basic 110 plug too seeing as my ARB's both came with that.

I've never needed to use a charger on the vehicle and I'm not sure when I would unless camping a long time with the vehicle never moving. However, I use higb capacity Odessey batteries which require a specific high output charging to be done properly. Recently I got a deal on one of their fancy chargers although I can't recal any useful specs right now. I just know this 2150 has never gone down but that's why I made it fit ;). That was 10 yrs ago too! Had it tested last year at the Odessey location here and it was still up to par. Nice having them nearby as well as ARB.

I would however like to upgrade the manager so I can actually monitor the batteries and not he caught out someday.

I have an Odyssey dealer here on Oahu and run Odyssey on my bikes. When I need batteries for the Landy, I will most likely hit you up on recommendation for a dual battery set up to run with my Traxide. I'm not an electrical wiz on the LR system so I am looking for reliable power, that's it!

I recieved some PM feedback on the NL 52L that answered all questions I had for sure. Thanks for your input on the ARB side and battery cuz I know the install is going to be similar.

Jwestpro

Explorer
My charger you asked about. 40amp triple. I wanted to be able to do both batteries simultaneously...and it was on sale ;) However, the higher end batteries really need high amp charging to properly manage them. It's been sitting all week with some lighting on a lot and I hadn't conditioned it since maybe 2015 so I figured I'd let it get a nice reconditioning today.

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

Hey, how are those M&M seat covers? I could only compare online but liked the look of those better than the Ex-More stuff.

chand-o

I was looking at the NL weekender 52L but i will most likely go with the ARB 47L as the freezer compartments temperature is fixed at 10C less than the fridge compartment as it only has one compressor circuit. It is worth reading the manuals for the models you are interested in.

I'm sold on the NL 52L weekender so I think I'm gonna hold firm on it. Nothing against ARB, I love their products but the NL has some things I do not want to compromise on in relation to sleeping platform build.

@JWestPro Yes, I have the M&M covers and had the opportunity to see them up against the Exmoore Products in a Defender a few weeks back. I am more than happy on my decision. I only have fronts, but CondorDavis had full set after me and he loved them too.

The fit and finish of Melville & Moon is unmatched IMO; you will not be disappointed and they look better with time as they break in. With that said, the center console cover will drive you nuts but I have my modified slightly in about an hour and its great now.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
@JWestPro Yes, I have the M&M covers and had the opportunity to see them up against the Exmoore Products in a Defender a few weeks back. I am more than happy on my decision. I only have fronts, but CondorDavis had full set after me and he loved them too.

The fit and finish of Melville & Moon is unmatched IMO; you will not be disappointed and they look better with time as they break in. With that said, the center console cover will drive you nuts but I have my modified slightly in about an hour and its great now.

Off topic but I can confirm. Nothing comes close to M&M, fit, finish, comfort, etc.. Their disco 3 console cover is a bit wonky, yes.

Have fitted a full 7 seat set to a D3, and front seat models on another defender. Superb stuff. Their customer service is frankly amazing. The 110 will eventually get a set too.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Off topic but I can confirm. Nothing comes close to M&M, fit, finish, comfort, etc.. Their disco 3 console cover is a bit wonky, yes.

Have fitted a full 7 seat set to a D3, and front seat models on another defender. Superb stuff. Their customer service is frankly amazing. The 110 will eventually get a set too.

Thanks. I'm going to find out if they'll just sell me 4 seat covers and the arm rests as I'll never have the center seat back in there. Hell I don't even remember where it's stored LOL ;)

Victory, for such a high dollar item, you'll enjoy for many more years than the rover itself ;), you may want to do a bit more research. ARB is fine but I've seen some really cool stuff over the years that may be more appropriate for you than the NL. I'll do some looking at my bookmarks and get back you you here.

Thanks. I'm going to find out if they'll just sell me 4 seat covers and the arm rests as I'll never have the center seat back in there. Hell I don't even remember where it's stored LOL ;)

Victory, for such a high dollar item, you'll enjoy for many more years than the rover itself ;), you may want to do a bit more research. ARB is fine but I've seen some really cool stuff over the years that may be more appropriate for you than the NL. I'll do some looking at my bookmarks and get back you you here.

M&M customer service is absolutely fantastic. I am sure they will work with you on your seats.

I may be down in Cape Town, South Africa for 5-6 weeks in August timeframe. I'll be carrying a very large second roll-away for wonderful kit to bring back. The exchange rate is right, I'll be buying it there and shipping it myself...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles