National Luna Weekender 52L

roverpat

Observer
What do you guys think of the Dometic brand of fridge freezers? My wife is hell bent on spending a week on the Outer Banks on the remote part so no power or water. Lug it in and lug it out. Already have a dual battery setup with NL controller and a 100 watt solar panel to keep batteries up when truck is not running. I think I have power covered.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have a Dometic CFX-40 and love it. Got it on Amazon warehouse deal for about the same price as a YETI. Only complaint WAS accessories are difficult to source in the US (Looks like slide mounts, insulated covers, and remote monitors are all in US stock now).

Thanks for the comments everyone. Again, not a contest my any means, just my personal preference and I'm looking for the split compartment of single compartment comments.

For those with the NL 52L in the center seat configuration, what mount are you using?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have had a NL 52 fridge/freezer for four or five months, and it's awesome. Money well spent (if it lasts for a number of years). To be honest, the only thing I've used the freezer for is to haul around the same bag of ice for months. It's nice to know I CAN haul frozen food, but haven't found a need to do so yet.

If I were to do it again, I might skip the freezer, but I would buy an NL.

I have had a NL 52 fridge/freezer for four or five months, and it's awesome. Money well spent (if it lasts for a number of years). To be honest, the only thing I've used the freezer for is to haul around the same bag of ice for months. It's nice to know I CAN haul frozen food, but haven't found a need to do so yet.

If I were to do it again, I might skip the freezer, but I would buy an NL.

But you have the option use both spaces as a one or the other or both correct? I was under the impression the freezer area could be set as a fridge?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
But you have the option use both spaces as a one or the other or both correct? I was under the impression the freezer area could be set as a fridge?

No sir, The 52L Weekender is fridge/freezer only. There is one temperature control on the unit for the fridge. The cooling system is configured to keep the freezer 10 degrees cooler than fridge. I suppose you could set the fridge high enough to bring the freezer above 0 degrees Celsius though. Haven't tried that.

They have at least one bigger model available that has separate temp controls for both sides, giving a lot of flexibility...but it's north of 70 Liters I believe.

No sir, The 52L Weekender is fridge/freezer only. There is one temperature control on the unit for the fridge. The cooling system is configured to keep the freezer 10 degrees cooler than fridge. I suppose you could set the fridge high enough to bring the freezer above 0 degrees Celsius though. Haven't tried that.

They have at least one bigger model available that has separate temp controls for both sides, giving a lot of flexibility...but it's north of 70 Liters I believe.

Okay, thanks for the response. Would you happen to have any pics of it packed out and your configuration?

Mahaloz,

E

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Okay, thanks for the response. Would you happen to have any pics of it packed out and your configuration?

Mahaloz,

E

No pictures at the moment, but I'm taking that rig out tomorrow night and will snap some pics for you. When I was shopping for the 52 it was hard to get an idea of the baskets, etc. There aren't many pictures on the web.

No pictures at the moment, but I'm taking that rig out tomorrow night and will snap some pics for you. When I was shopping for the 52 it was hard to get an idea of the baskets, etc. There aren't many pictures on the web.

Very true, that is why I am asking! Are you using the NL base plate for mounting it? I appreciate the pictures when able, thanks so much.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Very true, that is why I am asking! Are you using the NL base plate for mounting it? I appreciate the pictures when able, thanks so much.

Sorry for the delay, I posted your pics in the wrong thread that can be found here . I do use the NL mounting plate in the JeepKitchen. Must have had a little "too much drinkey" that night. :)

Sorry for the delay, I posted your pics in the wrong thread that can be found here . I do use the NL mounting plate in the JeepKitchen. Must have had a little "too much drinkey" that night. :)

hahaha, no worries. That's a nice set up! Looks the fridge/freezer is plenty of room for whatever you want to put in it.

Mounting options!

Okay so my fridge is here and I have not even taken it out of the box due to my house renovation project. What are forum members using to mount the baseplate to the floor in your center seat configuration? I have the NL baseplate and am looking to make some custom mounts that will bolt into the center seat mounts and then put the baseplate to those.

Before I go off the deep end and make some custom stuff, I am wondering what everyone else is doing. I will have no reason to remove the mounts or baseplate once installed as I can just pull the fridge off the baseplate when needed.

I look forward to any design ideas and specifically pictures if anyone is so inclined to support..............

Thanks everyone!

ar4me

Adventurer
In the last picture in this post http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/151003-LR4-multi-purpose-duty?p=2049852#post2049852 you can see how I mounted the NL quick release plate to the floor: Built two simple wooden "bridges" that bolt to the seat bolt locations of the center seat in the floor, and then the plate bolts to those "bridges". They are painted black in the picture. Hope this helps. I may have some better pictures somewhere - let me know if you need them...

In the last picture in this post http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/151003-LR4-multi-purpose-duty?p=2049852#post2049852 you can see how I mounted the NL quick release plate to the floor: Built two simple wooden "bridges" that bolt to the seat bolt locations of the center seat in the floor, and then the plate bolts to those "bridges". They are painted black in the picture. Hope this helps. I may have some better pictures somewhere - let me know if you need them...

Awesome thanks. I was thinking of doing the same thing and using aluminum or steel channel. My only concern is to make sure the fridge stays bolted down in an accident and doesn't become a projectile! ------as to not spill the tasty beverages inside of course. Hahahhahah

Thanks for the response; I'm going to pick up some channel and get to work this week.

Mahaloz

E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94