Blue sea usb socket faulty or is it just me?

PhilActual

Observer
My problem is my phone isn't charging off my blue sea usb outlet purchased from Amazon.
My phone charges fine in the cab of my truck with the usb cable I'm using. This weekend I ran a 10ga wire and fuse to the bed of my truck to a blue sea fuse panel. A 10ga wire is grounded to a stock location on my frame appropriately. I used 18ga wire to a switch so it wouldn't drain the battery when not in use.
All other accessories function normally and my voltameter is at 14.3 volts when running the engine. My other blue sea "cigarette" style socket is working perfectly.
At first I thought the switch was somehow limiting the function of the usb outlet so I made a new wire with terminals completely foregoing the switch. No dice.
The problem is I'm on the road for 2 weeks camping for work. I have tools but my multimeter is at home...
Is my usb socket faulty?
Please help.

romz26

Observer
Probably doesn't provide enough amps to charge and use the phone at the same time. You would be better off installing a cig socket and using a quality usb charger for it

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

PhilActual

Observer
I just read some reviews on Amazon and other people with android phones and their blue sea usb outlets are having the same issue. They say that you can open it up and short some wires to trick it in to full power mode but I think that's just lame! I was expecting a lot more from blue sea...
I shouldn't have bought 2! Haha!

Lucky j

Explorer
I habe 3 of them in 2 different vehicules and all oh them charge either my I pad, I phone 5s and android tablet two at a time and they are open and working with gos duty or phone calls or music.

I would say call bluesea.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I ordered 3 or 4 of them from Amazon and one turned out to be dead on arrival.

I returned it through amazon and a new one showed up 2 days later (free prime shipping).

-Dan

14JKURX

Observer
As simple as it may sound check your ground!
I always try to run a ground wire to each D.C. item I install body/frame grounding can cause problems.

plh

Explorer
I have a couple of the BlueSea units. They work fine for charging my Moto X, and a couple Lenovo tablets.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have experienced where some aftermarket cables will not charge an Apple phone with a 12v USB. Try another cable.

PhilActual

Observer
So the one I have is functioning fine it just doesn't work with my android phone during "fast charge" mode. Not enough amps. So I ordered the blue sea fast charge usb outlet that outputs 4.8 amps. That should do the trick! Thank you all for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne