Indel-b fridge repair?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does anyone know if it's feasible to repair a broken hinge on an Indel-B / Truckfridge TB-41/TF-41? After 3 hard seasons, ours finally broke.

The fridge functions fine but the lid is basically just sitting on the fridge body.

It seems the broken part is on the lid so I think replacing the lid would work too.

A new fridge would be $500+ so I'm hoping to be able to fix this one

Photos attached show the damage.

a6f6a53dee278b688c7802e29e7a69e2.jpg

afcebc29e84f9f8c0374d7ef622da17a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusaderJK

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure it's repairable with some hillbilly engineering. Maybe you can even get a replacement lid for that fridge.
Since it still runs well it's definitely worth repairing.

My Dometic is currently being repaired. Cooling line somehow got clogged and it wouldn't cool at all.
Estimate repair cost is 235. Still better than a new fridge at 800.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm pretty sure it's repairable with some hillbilly engineering. Maybe you can even get a replacement lid for that fridge.
Since it still runs well it's definitely worth repairing.
My Dometic is currently being repaired. Cooling line somehow got clogged and it wouldn't cool at all.
Estimate repair cost is 235. Still better than a new fridge at 800.
Yes, it had occurred to me that I could get some cheap "strap" hinges and screw them into the plastic but if possible I'd like something a little less "redneck." :rolleyes:
All the damage seems to be to the lid, I guess I'll contact TruckFridge and see if they'll sell me a replacement lid.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Paul May over at Equipt Expeditions may be a good resource as well.

I have the same fridge so I'm curious to see what the repair options are.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, good customer service over at http://www.truckfridge.com. I emailed them at about 10:00 and they responded within an hour! :wings:
New lid is $79.00. They also noticed I had tape over the control panel and said they would sell me a new control panel cover for $2.50.
Funny but a part of me wanted them to say it was unrepairable so I could justify buying a new (bigger) fridge. :rolleyes:
Now if I can just get my wife to stop slamming the lid, this one may last a few more years.... ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There is a mod you can do to make it a side hinge lid. Some guys have done it. I bought the hinges and lock but haven't done it to mine yet.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/2308956-post76.html

I used a different latch, but I like this one.
Whoa, that's brilliant! Cheaper than a replacement lid and also fixes the one gripe I have about the indel-b (I hate the way the lid opens.)
I think I may try that instead...

MizMoosie

Observer
Wow, good customer service over at http://www.truckfridge.com. I emailed them at about 10:00 and they responded within an hour! :wings:
New lid is $79.00. They also noticed I had tape over the control panel and said they would sell me a new control panel cover for $2.50.
Funny but a part of me wanted them to say it was unrepairable so I could justify buying a new (bigger) fridge. :rolleyes:
Now if I can just get my wife to stop slamming the lid, this one may last a few more years.... ;)

Ditto the awesome customer service from Truckfridge!! I am leaving this week on a trip and found the 12V Indel B cable broken. I emailed them yesterday and they replied at 0730 this morning. They have already shipped the replacement cable and it will arrive before I leave!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, after mulling it over and looking at the parts list for the side-hinge conversion I decided to go ahead and just order the replacement lid instead. It will cost a bit more but it should be a 5 minute install. The side hinge setup is a good one, I think, but I'm not ready to take on another project right at the beginning of camping season.

Ordered my parts and hope to have them by the weekend!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Alright the new lid is in but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get both hinge pins on. Getting one on is easy, getting the second on seems impossible. There must be a trick, does anyone know it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke