2WD Econoline Skoolie 2-2.5" lift

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Ok, to start, I haven't been here for a while(almost 5 years). I've been super busy working a full+ time job while trying to build a business. I'm at a point where my business is becoming profitable enough to be my sole income and will be able to start enjoying my weekends again:wings:. Anyway, on to my questions...

I've been looking at conversion vans to build out as a travel/light off road(dirt/fire roads, nothing even remotely requiring 4WD)/camping rig. I was looking at conversion vans for the extra headroom without having to go to a pop-top. I just recently came across a '99 E350 school bus with a 7.3PSD. It is a NARROW body(essentially just a squared off body, only a tiny bit wider than a stock E-series), with the single rear tire setup. I sent the seller an E-Mail with some questions and am waiting for a reply. The van appears to have larger tires than stock already installed(looks 265/75/16-ish). The front bumper and rear area of the front fenders look like they have been trimmed to accommodate them. The van however needs some more height, IMHO, to avoid rubbing anywhere but on pavement.

I'm fairly certain that the factory front springs have sagged a bit in the last 18 years, therefore getting it back to stock height before moving on to a lift makes sense. If I can find springs that provide better than stock height, even with the weight of a camper build out inside, all the better. As I understand it, the SD Springs 3935lb "super springs" provide about 1.5 inches of lift on a diesel Econoline. I am however not sure they will maintain that amount of lift once an interior/water system/etc are added to the mix. They also list the TufTruck "Extra Heavy Duty Front Coil Spring" rated at 5000lb that I'm very sure would maintain height, but there is no mention of lift provided leaving me to believe they are merely stiffer at stock height. I'm also concerned that the 5k springs will be rather harsh and seriously limit travel off road.

Concerning spring rates, I am not planning on adding heavy bumpers/a winch or such up front. I am however concerned about "brake dive" once several hundred pounds of interior/water/gear/house batteries are installed. I've worked on and driven these buses for years(be it a long time ago). EMPTY, they tend to have a good bit of nose dive under heavy breaking on the stock springs.

I'm not concerned with alignment at this point, as I can likely dial in camber with ball joint cams at only 2.5". If not, there is a local spring shop that has in the past bent beams to correct alignment when I was still working on these things every day. As to caster, I have stretched radius arms in the past on 2WD Rangers, and fabricated drop brackets for them. The Econoline is just bigger.

So, what says the collective? Try the "super springs" and a small spacer to achieve the desired height, possibly going to a taller spacer if they don't maintain that height with the the interior built out...Or, go straight to the 5k springs and adjust height with spacers as needed.

Oh yeah, the van...

Attachments

• skoolie.jpeg
    skoolie.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 43

Deshet

Adventurer
I have a few of these...

One with no gears in the rear axle perfect for a 4x4 swap if you are interested.
1998 7.3 120,000 miles rust free

I also may be able to answer your questions.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
So I passed on that particular Skoolie, but I'm still in the market for a van or similar bus. While I like the straight walls of a schoolbus for building out a camper, I'm leaning a little more towards conversion vans. They are a little less conspicuous. My biggest problem is lack of Econoline conversions built on chassis other than the 150. I know there are E250/350 conversion vans out there, but they seem to be the minority compared to 1/2 ton vans.

For most people I don't think it would be an issue to drive a lightweight camper based off of an E150, but with intentions of lifting it and adding bigger tires, the suspension and brake upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton seem necessary to me. This issue is compounded by the fact that Ford switched from the 9" to exclusively using the 8.8". I know the 8.8" is a good axle, but not in a potentially 6k+lb vehicle with oversized tires. A YJ, XJ etc sure, but not a fully size van.

Aside from the frame thickness, are there any changes that would prevent swapping a sterling axle and E250 beams/brakes onto a 150? I'm assuming(dangerous I know) that the spring perches front and rear are the same width apart, but will the 3/4 ton springs bolt to the 1/2 ton frame?

I think with the heavier springs and front coil spacers I can achieve enough height to clear a 32" tire.

Raul

Adventurer
I have a 2000 E150 Chateau. It has the 9.75 rear end. I installed an LSD, and replaced all springs with slightly taller ones and Bilstein in all 4 corners. I am able to run 265/75/17 (31") with no problem. It is not a heavy camper conversion, but we pack a lot on our trips and handles and hauls great. I have the original brakes with Hawk pads and never had an issue even going fast on New Mexico or Colorado mountain roads.

Do not use coil spacers. You can get new Moog spring (cc860 or cc860s for $100)

The rear springs on the E150 are 2.5" wide. On the 250 and 350 (and 150 post 2008) are 3". I'll not get the springs from a salvage yard. For less than $500 you can get a set delivered from ATS springs.

BTW once I am done converting my 2010 E350 to 4x4 (one month +\-). This van will be for sale with the complete E350 front end if interested.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I have a 2000 E150 Chateau. It has the 9.75 rear end.
I wasn't familiar with the 9.75. My experience has been with Ford TTB/TIB trucks(mostly Rangers & Explorers) and 1 ton vans(school buses). I've never worked on the newer IFS F150's or lighter vans. After some research I have found that some year F150's came with 7 lugs and some came with 6. What I can't find however is if that carried over to the Econoline or if they maintained the 5x5.5 lug pattern. What's the lug pattern on your 2000? Did your van come factory with the 17" rims and are they required to clear the brakes?
Do not use coil spacers. You can get new Moog spring (cc860 or cc860s for $100)
I was planning on switching to taller springs no matter what, but use small spacers under the coil seats to adjust final height.
The rear springs on the E150 are 2.5" wide. On the 250 and 350 (and 150 post 2008) are 3".
So any '97-08 Econoline 9.75(2.5" springs) should swap into an older 8.8 equipped van?
BTW once I am done converting my 2010 E350 to 4x4 (one month +\-). This van will be for sale with the complete E350 front end if interested.
I looked at your "Rig Runner" thread. Your E150 is a clean truck, but I really need a taller roof and I'm trying to avoid Mod Motors. I have both a 5.0 and 5.8 with low miles in my garage. I know those engines and they're simple to fix and maintain. Barring finding a 7.3PSD, I'm trying to stick with the "Windsor" based engines. Thank you for the information though, you answered more questions in one post than I could find searching the web for 2 days.

Raul

Adventurer
The E150 has 5x5.5" until 2005 or 06 when it turned 5 metric (135 mm?). In 08 became a de facto e250 with 8 lugs.
Original wheel on mine were 15". I only changed pads, brakes are original.

I debating the high roof. I am not sold in the fact that you loose a lot of the precarious body rigidity. In the ambulances at least they have full roll cage.

The engine is the same 5.4 2 valves than the newer vans.

The rear end should swap within E150s. ABS presence or not should be checked.

ninaofek2016

Without getting into politics, unfortunately my husband was detained by immigration and our trip has sadly come to an end. We have to leave the states which means our baby is up for sale. Extremely sad moment for us. He is being deported and its on me, stranded in miami by myself to sell it. hopefully i can answer all questions but its my husband who put most of the blood ,sweat and tears into it. (fine the tears were mine, but blood and sweat his) Here's the details I got from him over the phone
Short school bus '98 Ford 7.3 diesel in great condition less than 59,000 miles. Partially converted.
Currently in miami. if i dont sell it florida i will be driving up the east coast to ny
Fuel additives for oil and injectors (archoil kit)
fully insulated with 2 inch rigid foam.
we did full maintenance work after purchase
oil change -- we almost hit 3000 miles so youll need one soon
switched all fluids
heating system checked
sealant for rear differential
gear oil changed
no leaks
4 quarts oil per 3000 miles
there was some rust which we cut out and replaced with new metal
floor metal painted over with rustoleum
we just installed 110 ac electric with shorline access
12 v powered by 2 100 watt solar panels, 1000 watt inverter, 20 amp charge control, 2 6v batteries
literally brand new maxxair fan, 4000 model
cassette toilet
we have material for screens just not installed yet
have lots of extra materials floating around the bus, fluids, sealants, bolts,
2 bikes!
campchef full propane oven/stove top --pretty full large propane tank
freezer converted into fridge
2 month old full size mattress
really expensive shades
reverse camera

Asking price 8,000$ negotiable
pics on craiglist / fb - can video chat

willing to drive anywhere for the sale
2014493249 nina
20170522_191710.jpg

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
OK, New News...I'm still in the market for a PSD powered Econoline based camper. The Bus I passed on was just re-listed for a lower price, so that isn't off the table, but I'm leaning more toward a bare cargo van for something a little more "low key". Most of the local vans that meet my criteria have 175-210k on them and the prices are about $5-6k. I'm not particularly worried about the mileage, as I know the 7.3 PSD pretty well. I have found one however that was a state fleet vehicle, with maintenance records, and only 12k miles for a bit more(I can probably pick it up for $10K cash). I'll be taking a ride this weekend to look at it but I have a few general questions first.

As I said earlier, I'll likely keep the tires around 32" with a mild lift and 2wd. What are the most common gears in PSD powered van? From my research, the rears came in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10. I assume the 4.10 was only in the chassis cabs(like the skoolie) or vans built with some serious towing package. What gearing would those with PSD sportsmobiles/UJoint 4x4 conversions or just general Econoline campers recommend for 32-33" tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior