ZR2 vs. The Rubicon Trail

TCICapn

Very impressive! I don't see the taco trd pro being taken on the Rubicon in stock flavor and that's probably its closest competitor.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Very cool! But no gas tank skid? Come on now. You can see in the pictures its not nearly as high up as the guy says and its long enough to get in plenty of trouble.

Dalko43

Explorer
Very cool! But no gas tank skid? Come on now. You can see in the pictures its not nearly as high up as the guy says and its long enough to get in plenty of trouble.

Yep. I'm sure someone will develop something in the aftermarket to take care of that, but it would've been nice, and easy on GM's part, to offer a fuel tank skid plate from the factory. Don't know why GM overlooked something like that.

Overall though, that's pretty impressive performance for a stock pickup, running on stock 31's. Hopefully, the initial owner reviews confirm the capability and reliability of this vehicle. It's definitely got the potential to be a great addition to a market segment that has been quiet for some time now.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer

heh, yet they made it. I'm totally with you to build the toughest vehicle you can - but by the same token, I'm even more impressed by people who take vehicles that 'can't' and yet make it through. Rubicon has a place called Cadillac hill because someone got a Cadillac there. I've seen lots of pretty stoutly-built rigs not make it as far as that late-40s Cadillac did... of course, I'd never dream of giving friends-who-broke-before a bad time about such a thing.... never dream of it ;)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I think Jeep should give GM a Trail Rated Badge, and a heartfelt salute for producing a real off-road capable truck. :beer:
While there are several ways to get through the Rubicon Trail, it's still a great adventure. :)

These are great years to be car and truck people. :victory:

Yep. I'm sure someone will develop something in the aftermarket to take care of that, but it would've been nice, and easy on GM's part, to offer a fuel tank skid plate from the factory. Don't know why GM overlooked something like that.

These are the same GM engineers that decided to hang the cat piss tank outside and below the frame rail on the new HD Duramax. Nothing surprises me on Chevys anymore.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
heh, yet they made it. I'm totally with you to build the toughest vehicle you can - but by the same token, I'm even more impressed by people who take vehicles that 'can't' and yet make it through. Rubicon has a place called Cadillac hill because someone got a Cadillac there. I've seen lots of pretty stoutly-built rigs not make it as far as that late-40s Cadillac did... of course, I'd never dream of giving friends-who-broke-before a bad time about such a thing.... never dream of it ;)

That's looooooong before it got as tore up as it is now.

superbuickguy

Explorer
That's looooooong before it got as tore up as it is now.

LOL - the current configuration is a highway compared to how it used to be. It was a goat path until the 80s, then as California kept trying to shut it down, the various care-taker groups did a huge amount of work to quiet the 'close it all' groups. What that means is lots of the original challenges after the hotel were substantially more difficult... including the approach to Cadillac hill. What most don't realize is the Rubicon has tough sections and by-passes of some of the tough sections - so 'Rubicon rated' really doesn't mean much of anything at all. The Cadillac got there powered by a whole bunch of alcohol.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Rubicon is snow shoe only right now. Lol
Its nice that GM offers real rock sliders. I hope they are offered as an option with any of the models gmc and chevy. The lockers go a long way in the rocky sierra trails.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Interesting to read a bit about it. I have some friends working on this program, and I've worked with Brent Deep in my former life, working on the 2009 and 2011 HD truck platform. Seems like he was messing with "aero points" most of the time I knew him. Nice enough fella, but at the time, wasn't fighting for "all things truck". (The eurea tank is a GREAT example...) Hopefully he's on board with the ZR2 Colorado.

Bold contrast to the "offroad" trip we took with the HD's to Colorado. I was heading up a mild trail to work on brake traction control and the "truck guy" from GM had a complete and total fit when I dragged the tailpipe of the truck on a rock trying to get it a bit more crossed up. He was genuinely sure that I was breaking the truck in half... That guy and I never did get along. I had too hard a time explaining physics to him. I didn't do much off road development with him around after that...

For the ZR2, I know that they're getting direction from some pretty qualified people outside GM, and I consider that a really good thing!! :)

If only I had $50k to blow on a truck... Ah, I still probably wouldn't. I like my full size Duramax too much. :)

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
Very cool that GM finally got serious in this space. My vehicle is an 02 Avalanche NFE that I have done a crazy amount of mods to just to make it how GM should have in the first place.

mikekey

Deplorable
This has me thinking that maybe I need to try the Rubicon with the fullsize. Especially after doing a bunch of "Impossible, you'll die and crush all your body panels" trails in Moab. Although I know it's different terrain. Makes me wonder about how difficult it is for skilled people willing to pay attention and pick good lines.

1stDeuce

Explorer
There used to be a "squeeze" the kept full sizes out. But a Colorado is pretty big... And I think a reroute was made for a HMMWV trip long ago. I bet you can do it. Take pictures. Write a report. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior