First Mobile HAM Radio Setup. Help?

Krayziekid

Observer
There is a station beaconing the repeater info, as you come into the area with APRS running (or turned on once you get there) you would eventually receive the packet that contains the repeater info and your radio would decode and display it. I personally prefer to have my APRS info display on my phone or android tablet so that I can use the map feature to see where other stations and objects are versus seeing a direction heading on a screen, it makes it easier to type messages as well. Not all repeaters will appear on APRS, only those that someone has decided to beacon their info.

Yes you have to be able to hit a digipeater that can hit an I-gate (internet gateway).

The International Space Station sometimes operates an APRS digi and there are APRS satellites up or soon to be up as well.

To be honest I would go with the 2730a, get a feel for things and get used to it. No reason to complicate your first ham radio with stuff like APRS.
You can always add a 2nd radio for APRS later as I did. It can run in the back ground and not bother my voice dual band radio at all. I don't have to worry about setting or turning something on/off when I want to switch to voice or anything like that.

For the record I use a Yaesu FTM-3100 with a mobilinkd TNC and external antenna for APRS. I started out using an HT with the Mobilinkd TNC but the digipeater coverage in my area was not great and a I needed a bit more power.

Thanks for all of the input and answers. Yea, I think I am going to just go with the 2730a. Seems like a great place to start and I really don't need to overcomplicate things out of the gate. Thanks!

Krayziekid

Observer
Yup, no one has programmed the software to work with it yet. I was pretty bummed since I have configs made up for my HTs in CHIRP and it's easy to copy and past between. You basically can't copy and paste to iCom's software so I have to program the two independently.

Figured since I was commenting on the PC now I'd post up a few photos.

I used a ProClip mount for the head unit. It mounts pretty securely between the dash panels. As a plus I also can mount my phone up on it.
HcgALoO.jpg

Diamond NR-72BNMO on the roof. I had a local shop install an NMO mount.
A0KNKRo.jpg

Thanks for the images! That proclip mount looks nice. And haha nice NMO mount! I am doing a trunk lip mount because I don't have the balls to drill in to my roof, and I don't know if I trust anyone else to drill in to it either!

malibubts

Adventurer
Thanks for the images! That proclip mount looks nice. And haha nice NMO mount! I am doing a trunk lip mount because I don't have the balls to drill in to my roof, and I don't know if I trust anyone else to drill in to it either!

Yeah it's a very solid mount. I really like that it doubles up on the phone and radio mount. Only downside is all the pieces and parts ran close to $100.

I didn't want to drill my roof either and actually tried a fender mount first. The bracket I used did not fit very well at all and had a lot of rubbing and clearance issues. I then looked around and found a local shop that quoted 1 hour of labor at $70. I stopped by and waited for the install; they ended up only needing 30 minutes and only charged for a half hour. I wish I would have just gone that route to begin with, but you live and you learn.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
This Thursday and Friday go to APRS.fi and search for Xenia, OH. Zoom out a bit and you may see a bunch of APRS activity as hams from all over come into Xenia for Hamvention.

Can you tell where the Hamvention is? :D
This is just within the last 3 hours.

Attachments

• hamvention1.jpg
    hamvention1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 46

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Antenna spring may be a good option to add

If you get the CA-2X4SR, you may want to get the optional spring for off road use if you'll be traveling in tree infested areas. ;)
I have a buddy who runs one, and is real happy with the performance with the spring in place. His antenna meets-and-greats lots of tree limbs.
Before installing the spring, he had to straighten up the antenna a few times. Since then, no issues, and so far (don't knock on wood) he hasn't had any "Picket fencing" issues.
Good weekend to buy, as a lot of shops are offering Hamvention sale pricing. :victory:

Picture one: Arrow pointing to CA-SPR spring installed

Hth,

Attachments

• Antenna_Spring.jpg
    Antenna_Spring.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 35

Krayziekid

Observer
.....well Comanche Scott, I'm not sure whether I hate you or love you hahaha. Wasn't gonna purchase for a few weeks, but some of those hamvention sales were great so I bought a 2730a and mount/antenna last night! Super hyped to get this thing installed!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
.....well Comanche Scott, I'm not sure whether I hate you or love you hahaha. Wasn't gonna purchase for a few weeks, but some of those hamvention sales were great so I bought a 2730a and mount/antenna last night! Super hyped to get this thing installed!

:elkgrin:

Glad to know we'll both be working overtime to pay the bills this month... :beer:

Just in case you haven't seen this:
$25 rebate on your radio. :)
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/promotions/amateur/2017Promotions/spring-savings/default.aspx

Krayziekid

Observer

snare

Adventurer
Yup! Saw that rebate too, which ended up bringing the radio down to about 245 bucks! Hell of a deal in my mind :D

Guess I better start clocking in some more hours now lol. Thanks again dude!

Where did you get the Icom for 245? Your initial link shows $349 before the $25 rebate?

And I agree with the above poster, get a separate radio for APRS, that is my plan.

Krayziekid

Observer
Where did you get the Icom for 245? Your initial link shows $349 before the $25 rebate?

And I agree with the above poster, get a separate radio for APRS, that is my plan.

Over the weekend, DX Engineering had it on sale for $270. Add the rebate on top of that and it brings it down to $245 w/ free shipping! I initially was going to buy from Gigaparts or Ham Radio Outlet, but a buddy of mine told me to check out DXE and boy am I glad I did.

Krayziekid

Observer
Figured I would post up a picture or two of the final setup! Really liking it so far and happy with the clean install. Picked up a bunch of people by simply driving around. Only called CQ once, but got no response, but hey, I can always try again. I did test with my handheld to make sure it actually did work though haha, and I am happy to say it does :D

1.jpg

4.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice bracket setup! I like how it wraps in behind the glove box, so no mounting holes in the dash. :)
Great install. :beer:
What did you end up doing for your antenna mount?

snare

Adventurer
The Icom 2730A has just started to be supported by CHIRP.

That was my only concern about it before i bought it (that it wasnt supported by CHIRP).

I love mine.

BagiMT

Naturalist
Figured I would post up a picture or two of the final setup! Really liking it so far and happy with the clean install. Picked up a bunch of people by simply driving around. Only called CQ once, but got no response, but hey, I can always try again. I did test with my handheld to make sure it actually did work though haha, and I am happy to say it does :D

View attachment 402735

View attachment 402736
What bracket is that? Do you have a picture of how it attaches? Will be installing a radio in my 4runner soon and that mount looks really clean.

Sent from my Fire Phone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What bracket is that? Do you have a picture of how it attaches? Will be installing a radio in my 4runner soon and that mount looks really clean.

Sent from my Fire Phone using Tapatalk
I think it's a Panavise bracket. Slips in behind the A/C dials on my Tacoma and mounts under a couple of bolts behind it. I added a 3rd reinforcing screw to the side since it's slightly wobbly on my truck. They're usually pretty solid so I think it's just the depth of the Tacoma dash.

IMG_0775_mid.jpg

IMG_0777_mid.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste