First Mobile HAM Radio Setup. Help?

Krayziekid

Observer
Hey guys, wasn’t sure if this warranted it’s own thread, but seeing as this is my first ham radio setup, I figured I would want to get it right. So I currently have a handheld, and I toyed around with the idea of simply getting an external antenna for it, but I am thinking I am just going to bite the bullet and go for a true mobile radio setup. I figure buy once cry once so I can use it in my current rig and then bring it to a new one if I ever upgrade. I’ve seen radios last for ages so I figured I would just make the jump. I am actually doing my next long term trip solo, so I won’t necessarily have someone to talk to, but I think it could be cool to make contacts along the way, while also giving me another form of communications if I truly needed it.

So here is what I am looking at picking up.

Radio: Icom 2730A
Seems like a good entry level mobile radio that will do true dual receive. Don’t feel the need to get something that can do APRS because I am not that truly invested in amateur radio yet, so I figured I don’t need to pay extra for features I won’t use.

Antenna: Comet CA-2x4SRNMO
I am actually probably going to pick up two antennas at once. This will be my “trail” antenna however. Basically if I am out on the road or doing an extended trip, I will keep this as my primary antenna simply because it seems great and it can fold over if I need it to. I will likely also pick up a smaller rubber ducky antenna about 15” or so that I can keep on the rig at all times so I can still fit in garages and stuff.

Mount: Comet CP-5NMO
I have a comet mount for my Firestik for my CB Radio, and I have been pretty dang happy with it, so I figured I would go with another one. I do love the performance and look of the antenna on the trunk, so I think I am going to do the same thing, just on the other side of the trunk this time. This mount seemed solid enough and the built in coax should be a perfect length to reach under my driver seat which is where I am planning on mounting the radio.

So any thoughts or guidance on this setup? Yay or nay? I won’t pretend to know a ton about amateur radio, so if I’m doing something stupid, lay it on me haha.

captadv

Spectator
Looks good. If you want specific reviews, check out eham.net.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Krayziekid

Observer
Looks good. If you want specific reviews, check out eham.net.

Thanks, will do. I have been looking at a bunch of reviews on there, and everything seems relatively positive, so I think I might just go for it! :D

captadv

Spectator
I'm at ham radio outlet myself today getting the parts for my install of a Yeasu Ftm-400xdr but I'm all about that APRS.

Krayziekid

Observer
I'm at ham radio outlet myself today getting the parts for my install of a Yeasu Ftm-400xdr but I'm all about that APRS.

So I've been doing a lot of reading up on APRS, and I am still having a hard time trying to wrap my head around it. Is it just the ability to send "text" via ham radio frequencies? Or is it so much more than that? Any reason it might be worth shelling out more in my case?

captadv

Spectator
I like people to be able to track where I am. That's how I use it. See aprs.fi but yes you can send messages to others in APRS. I never have.

Mike.rider

Observer
I have a 2730a in my Raptor and it has worked out well.

2cd252cbfc50db7ce154b36e9b5a99a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krayziekid

Observer
I have a 2730a in my Raptor and it has worked out well.

2cd252cbfc50db7ce154b36e9b5a99a9.jpg

That looks great. How do you like that mounting spot? And how do you have it mounted? I am considering putting it right under my mirror, or in the center console area to keep it out of the way.

Mike.rider

Observer
That looks great. How do you like that mounting spot? And how do you have it mounted? I am considering putting it right under my mirror, or in the center console area to keep it out of the way.

It's mounted on a ram mirror mount, works perfect!

8781e744621bf79b8378b8105808e87c.jpg

I have an extension cable run down the a pillar to under the seat for the mic to plug it

malibubts

Adventurer
I really like my 2730a. The display is probably the nicest out there for a dual band mobile other than radios twice the price. The only complaint I have is that the radio isn't compatible with CHIRP. All of my other radios are and I didn't realize that the iCom wasn't until I received it. Their software isn't the best and I can use CHIRP on all of my other radios to copy and paste between configs.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I like people to be able to track where I am. That's how I use it. See aprs.fi but yes you can send messages to others in APRS. I never have.

It can be use as a tracker, which most people use it for but it can be used as another form of communication. You can message other hams using APRS, you can sent text, or short emails.

The original concept was a tool for situational awareness, to see what's going on around you so you may also see where the local repeaters are, their freq, and PL tone which can be helpful if you aren't from an area and don't have the repeaters pre-programmed. It can also be used at events to see where aid stations are or where your assets are. You can really put anything on the map that you think may be of interest to other hams. You can post event locations, car accidents, etc.

Most people use it for tracking and messaging.

This Thursday and Friday go to APRS.fi and search for Xenia, OH. Zoom out a bit and you may see a bunch of APRS activity as hams from all over come into Xenia for Hamvention.

Krayziekid

Observer
It can be use as a tracker, which most people use it for but it can be used as another form of communication. You can message other hams using APRS, you can sent text, or short emails.

The original concept was a tool for situational awareness, to see what's going on around you so you may also see where the local repeaters are, their freq, and PL tone which can be helpful if you aren't from an area and don't have the repeaters pre-programmed. It can also be used at events to see where aid stations are or where your assets are. You can really put anything on the map that you think may be of interest to other hams. You can post event locations, car accidents, etc.

Most people use it for tracking and messaging.

This Thursday and Friday go to APRS.fi and search for Xenia, OH. Zoom out a bit and you may see a bunch of APRS activity as hams from all over come into Xenia for Hamvention.

Ok that makes way more sense. Thank you for boiling it down for me, although now you raised another question or two.

APRS definitely sounds useful, especially if one is traveling to new areas constantly with no repeaters pre-programmed in. My first question is, how does APRS work to get you the freq/tone/etc when you go to a new area? I am assuming you would drive to location x, turn the radio on and set it to ARPS mode. Then does it just check the surrounding area for APRS "broadcasts" and put them on your screen?

And my second question revolves around the messaging/emailing. How does that even work? Would the message only work if you can hit a digipeater that can then transmit that packet to the internet/intended recipient?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to make sure I get my first radio purchase right! The 2730a seemed like a great fit at first, but now that I am doing a bit more research in to APRS and talking to you, I am thinking I might want a radio that supports it, such as the Kenwood v71a. Seems like an older radio with less of the "glam" of the 2730a, but since they are similarly priced, it might be a good option.

Krayziekid

Observer
You can't use it in CHIRP? Dang! That sucks! I'm sure their software will get the job done, but CHIRP was a breeze when I was programming some stuff in to my UV5R the first time around.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Ok that makes way more sense. Thank you for boiling it down for me, although now you raised another question or two.

APRS definitely sounds useful, especially if one is traveling to new areas constantly with no repeaters pre-programmed in. My first question is, how does APRS work to get you the freq/tone/etc when you go to a new area? I am assuming you would drive to location x, turn the radio on and set it to ARPS mode. Then does it just check the surrounding area for APRS "broadcasts" and put them on your screen?

There is a station beaconing the repeater info, as you come into the area with APRS running (or turned on once you get there) you would eventually receive the packet that contains the repeater info and your radio would decode and display it. I personally prefer to have my APRS info display on my phone or android tablet so that I can use the map feature to see where other stations and objects are versus seeing a direction heading on a screen, it makes it easier to type messages as well. Not all repeaters will appear on APRS, only those that someone has decided to beacon their info.

And my second question revolves around the messaging/emailing. How does that even work? Would the message only work if you can hit a digipeater that can then transmit that packet to the internet/intended recipient?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to make sure I get my first radio purchase right! The 2730a seemed like a great fit at first, but now that I am doing a bit more research in to APRS and talking to you, I am thinking I might want a radio that supports it, such as the Kenwood v71a. Seems like an older radio with less of the "glam" of the 2730a, but since they are similarly priced, it might be a good option.

Yes you have to be able to hit a digipeater that can hit an I-gate (internet gateway).

The International Space Station sometimes operates an APRS digi and there are APRS satellites up or soon to be up as well.

To be honest I would go with the 2730a, get a feel for things and get used to it. No reason to complicate your first ham radio with stuff like APRS.
You can always add a 2nd radio for APRS later as I did. It can run in the back ground and not bother my voice dual band radio at all. I don't have to worry about setting or turning something on/off when I want to switch to voice or anything like that.

For the record I use a Yaesu FTM-3100 with a mobilinkd TNC and external antenna for APRS. I started out using an HT with the Mobilinkd TNC but the digipeater coverage in my area was not great and a I needed a bit more power.

malibubts

Adventurer
You can't use it in CHIRP? Dang! That sucks! I'm sure their software will get the job done, but CHIRP was a breeze when I was programming some stuff in to my UV5R the first time around.

Yup, no one has programmed the software to work with it yet. I was pretty bummed since I have configs made up for my HTs in CHIRP and it's easy to copy and past between. You basically can't copy and paste to iCom's software so I have to program the two independently.

Figured since I was commenting on the PC now I'd post up a few photos.

I used a ProClip mount for the head unit. It mounts pretty securely between the dash panels. As a plus I also can mount my phone up on it.
HcgALoO.jpg

Diamond NR-72BNMO on the roof. I had a local shop install an NMO mount.
A0KNKRo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste