2000 Xterra front wheel bearing?

MTGunner

MTGunner
Greetings all, I own a 2000 Xterra, 3.3L, 4wd, with 162,000 miles on the odometer. I have been checking the front hubs after driving some distances. The front hubs are warm to the touch but not hot enough to make me take my hand off, does not burn my hand. I jacked up front end to check to find a very small amount of wiggle, top to bottom, on the wheels. I am guessing that the bearings need to be packed and adjusted. But if need to be replaced, are the front inner and outer the same on a 4wd? Plus, if necessary to replace all where can I get the best price? Does anyone have the part numbers and whos parts do you suggest. My Xterra has not been run hard either off or on road. I have replaced and the front sway arm bushings and link ends. Thanks for the information. MTG

I don't think they fail often. I had 118k miles on mine when I got rid of it. Had recently serviced the bearings and found no wear. I wouldn't worry about sourcing replacements at this point. Just get in there and service them.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Also check to see if your brake caliper is sticking that could also cause heat. I have used NSK and Koyo front wheel bearings with SKF seals.

Last edited:

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
2WD and 4WD front hubs and bearings are different. I usually go through Napa, but with the military discount, I think all the bearings and races costs me C$60 per side. I would try to at least retighten the nut for the bearings and see if that removes the slack.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Have you driven through any water up past the hubs? When the get water in them they need to be re-packed as soon as possible. The water mixes in the grease and fouls it, you can really see the difference in cloudiness when you compare to fresh hub grease.

MTGunner

MTGunner
Pulled both front hubs, removed bearings, inside and out, inspected races and bearings to find no problems. Replaced bearing seals and tightened bearings initially to seat, then backed off and tightened to mere inch pounds as described online. No problems. Thanks for the help. MTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles