Delorme InReach without subscription, does it still function as a standalone GPS?

trae

Adventurer
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing an Inreach of some sort but the majority of the time I will not require the satcom functionality. In "standby subscription mode", will it still function as a bluetooth GPS for my ipad?

trae

Adventurer
I acquired an InReach 1.5 (aka original, without a screen). This unit does function as a standalone bluetooth GPS even without subscription. Additionally, I was concerned about powering the unit in the car (because it requires two AA batteries) however it turns out that works fine via micro-usb firmware upgrade port. I just turned it on (power+message button which puts it in firmware upgrade mode) and it works fine without batteries.

BigGeorge

I have a InReach but I don't know. I currently have my subscription in Stand By mode so I will check when I get home today and let you know.

trae

Adventurer
Hey @biggeorge appreciate the help. See my second post, inreach original does work as a standalone GPS receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
I have the same unit, and never tought about trying this, I will and will also try the usb connection thing.

Thank you.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If you have the Earthmate App and maps loaded you don;t need to be connected to the device. The GPS in your tablet of phone will work perfectly well.

Dalko43

Explorer
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing an Inreach of some sort but the majority of the time I will not require the satcom functionality. In "standby subscription mode", will it still function as a bluetooth GPS for my ipad?

Send a call or email to Garmin. They should be able to answer your question. I have a continual subscription plan, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the device will still have GPS functionality even when you've deactivated your plan (the messaging and SOS gets deactivated)....not 100% on that so Garmin customer support would be a good source for that info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles