Does anyone make a CB/HAM radio?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also here's another tip: You will get less crushing of the cable if you run the cable through the door near the hinge. The closer to the hinge the better.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
In the end it all boils down to what the guy on the other end is running... ham, CB, FRS, or GMRS are worthless unless he has the same thing.

Having said that, our club has gone to 2M ham because with CB the front guy was losing contact with the tail guy in a convoy, not enough range.

michaelclark

One possible solution is to use a multimode mobile transceiver that covers both the CB and HAM bands. The AnyTone AT-778UV is an example of a radio that covers both the CB and 2-meter HAM bands, allowing you to communicate on both. However, it's important to note that the HAM operation would require you to obtain the appropriate HAM license.

pagero

One possible solution is to use a multimode mobile transceiver that covers both the CB and HAM bands. The AnyTone AT-778UV is an example of a radio that covers both the CB and 2-meter HAM bands, allowing you to communicate on both. However, it's important to note that the HAM operation would require you to obtain the appropriate HAM license.
As far as I can tell, that radio covers the Australian CB frequencies, but not the ones used in the US.

From the description on Amazon: Frequency Range: VHF:136-174MHz UHF:400-490MHz

kbroderick

From a technical standpoint, it also needs to be able to do FM and AM modes on appropriate bands, and you'd probably need to have a moderately complicated setup to have appropriate antennae—I've never seen an antenna tuned for CB, 2m and 70cm.

A CB wired to a CB antenna along with a dual-band (70cm/2m) mobile on an appropriate antenna only means one more radio in the rig, and there are some rather compact CB options out there.

I've got a CB and a TYT-7800 in my truck. The CB is very nice to have for logging-truck traffic around here, even if I don't end up using it all that often; when the roads turn to crap, there's suddenly a lot more useful chatter on channel 19. The TYT-7800 gets more use, but that includes running it as a scanner (with duplex programmed to "off") on local Part 90 frequencies of interest; I generally only use it for two-way communication when I'm working an annual motorsports event locally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles