Does anyone make a CB/HAM radio?

smlobx

Wanderer
First I'm a neophyte and don't know squat...

As I understand it a 2M HAM is the best long range radio. However, I am planning several trips to remote places where CB's are used by truckers (Newfoundland and Alaska) and communicating with them might be advantageous.

So I'd like to buy a single radio (if possible) that would allow me to communicate on both frequencies. This would keep the truck relatively uncluttered....Does anyone make such a product? If not what would you reccomend for a rookie?

Thanks!

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
FWIW someone posted this up here or on 'Mud the other day. I haven't looked closely - witchcraft? April Fool's? Or a radio that does everything? In my 80 series I've got the Uniden CB and the Btech Mini dual band. Both small with enough power for my purposes and not taking up a lot of real estate. It will be worth it to get your Technician's Class license for HAM before you head out on the road. Hope you post up a thread of your trip!

The FCC has decided that a combination ham /cb radio isn't legal.

One requirement to get your cb radio liscensed is that the radio can't transmit on any non-cb frequency. In the USA, all transmissions must be liscensed. In the cb band, the liscense is attached to the radio instead of the person.

It is technically possible, but not worth the risk of a fine in my opinion.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
FWIW someone posted this up here or on 'Mud the other day. I haven't looked closely - witchcraft? April Fool's? Or a radio that does everything? In my 80 series I've got the Uniden CB and the Btech Mini dual band. Both small with enough power for my purposes and not taking up a lot of real estate. It will be worth it to get your Technician's Class license for HAM before you head out on the road. Hope you post up a thread of your trip!
Im amazed the FCC hasnt shut them down

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smlobx

Wanderer
So i guess I'll have to get two radios right?
Any suggestions on which ones? I've read several threads on EP but it seems that technology is constantly changing and what was a good radio a couple of years ago has been superseded.

CB hasn't changed for a very long time. Any transistor based unit made by a reputable manufacturer will work nicely. I use a Uniden 510xl. The radio itself is liscensed on CB, so you don't need one yourself as long as you follow the rules.

Ham radio is another story. Things are constantly changing there. Digital modes are becoming more mainstream, but there isn't a clear winner yet. Unless you want ham radio to become a hobby then you might want to get just a simple analog radio. Make sure you have a valid ham liscense before transmitting on your ham radio. There are many retired radio hobbiests with noting to do except find people transmitting without a liscense. It's very easy to figure out where you are located when you transmit.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Two very different radio services... Both with different rules and regulations, One licensed, one not. Your not going to find a legal ham / cb radio combo.

JJEH

I got myself a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB. I have it "just in case" but really enjoy the weather alert function.

13043548_734346046707297_5103828537596571679_n.jpg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Fwiw, I have both CB and HAM in both rigs I use. However, I have a Midland 75-822 handheld that is great for the few times I actually want to use CB (only when folks don't use HAM ). Once you try HAM you won't go back. The clarity and distance achieved is amazing. You can find some radios that offer "separation kits or remote kits" that allow the radio brain to live in a hidden spot and the interface to be located up front in sight of the user. That will save some real-estate up front.

87Warrior

GP'er
Fwiw, I have both CB and HAM in both rigs I use. However, I have a Midland 75-822 handheld that is great for the few times I actually want to use CB (only when folks don't use HAM ). Once you try HAM you won't go back. The clarity and distance achieved is amazing. You can find some radios that offer "separation kits or remote kits" that allow the radio brain to live in a hidden spot and the interface to be located up front in sight of the user. That will save some real-estate up front.
x2!

The Midland 75-822 lives in my center console unless I am out with non hams. Throw a mag mount on the roof and it works just as well as a permanently mounted CB. Kenwood ham body is mounted under the seat and the faceplate and mic are on the dash, but could quickly be removed if necessary.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I use the same CB, Midland 75-822. No wiring needed, no permanent mount needed and it works as well as a CB needs to. Use this radio with a mag-mount antenna and you should be fine.

trae

Adventurer
I use the same CB, Midland 75-822. No wiring needed, no permanent mount needed and it works as well as a CB needs to. Use this radio with a mag-mount antenna and you should be fine.

Can you guys recommend a mag mount for CB? How is magmount cabling passed through to the outside? Just through the window?
Thanks

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can you guys recommend a mag mount for CB? How is magmount cabling passed through to the outside? Just through the window?
Thanks
I pass mine through the door opening, since the door has a rubber weather stripping, that keeps from crushing the antenna wire.
I have a 4' (I think) whip that I mount on the center of the roof. The higher you can get the top of the antenna the better for range.

trae

Adventurer
I pass mine through the door opening, since the door has a rubber weather stripping, that keeps from crushing the antenna wire.
I have a 4' (I think) whip that I mount on the center of the roof. The higher you can get the top of the antenna the better for range.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm not ready to drill the roof yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne