The Maze at Canyonlands: Pilgrimage to the Doll House

unkamonkey

Explorer
After reviewing satellite imagery, I can see why it's a whole lot easier to see the confluence from the east side. There's even a trail. We were also hampered by staying on rock to avoid damaging the cryptobiotic soil.

If a one-armed Civil War major could scramble up from the river, we can do better next time. We were very close, but I'm still not sure there's a safe path to the end of the point.
We have always gone there from the East side. On our last trip we sent off the cremains of 2 friends off. With the canyon wind I'm not sure how many ashes made it over the side and how much we inhaled and how much came back to camp with us on our clothes.
It's where they wanted to be so we did it.

gdaut

I would love to see the pictures. Last year I tried to get to the DollHouse in my 07 Tacoma 4x4 DCOR with wimpyer than stock tires. Made it down the switchbacks (that was hairy) but turned around about 1/2 mile past Teapot Rock campground (took an hour to go the last half mile). That experience, and finding this forum, has me searching for wheel and tires, and maybe some bumpers and skid plates.

Thanks for sharing your great trip. I hope to make a similar run in the future and have drawn inspiration for my plan in the future.

Great journey.

Lots of respect here in Ohio!

Grub

mph

Expedition Leader
the Maze is just spectacular...looks like you got to see some great sites! great report:)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks for sharing the updated photos! The Maze is a great adventure and I highly recommend it to all of the undecided adventurers.

BTW, there are lots of folks who have taken full-sized trucks in there. Reports and YouTube videos to be found all over the Net.

I took my 4Runner & trailer throughout the District in 2013. http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2013/08/utahs-maze-district-with-my-expedition.html

IMG_0416-1.jpg

P1070185-1.jpg

P1070586-1.jpg

We also had a full sized Toyota Sequoia with a mild lift in there

IMG_7694-1.jpg

IMG_0644-1.jpg

pcut

Adventurer
Went in last year with a friend who had a Moby trailer that made it all the way into the Dollhouse behind his 5th gen Forerunner.

gdaut

Awesome trip and trip report; thanks for that. I am going to have to get bigger tires and go back.

I am not one to offer advice on what vehicle can make it where, but there is a way to get into the part of the Maze below the Flint Trail switchbacks that does not require driving down the switchbacks (it is a not-too-bad dirt track coming in from Hite Utah). Thus, seeing an F-150 type truck down there does no mean they came down the switchbacks. I found the switchbacks challenging but doable; it was the road to the Dollhouse that turned me around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94