2007 LR3 - my 10 yr build thread...

Be aware it's s 9" tread, not section which is a lot wider as per specs.

As for less inflated,.. it's less tight then but also this is taken at tightest condition which is when strut is 100% fully extended and also with no weight on the tire - a fairly rare occasion.

Okay sweet. Understood!

zelatore

Explorer
For anybody looking to go with this size tire, keep in mind different manufacturers will vary width even with the same size on paper. My Cooper STT Pro 275-70-18s on the same wheels should (on paper) be narrower by 10mm, but I have maybe even less clearance. I happen to have the truck up on the lift right now so here's a pic at full droop.

Attachments

• tire clearnace LR3.jpg
    tire clearnace LR3.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 48

Jwestpro

Explorer
For anybody looking to go with this size tire, keep in mind different manufacturers will vary width even with the same size on paper. My Cooper STT Pro 275-70-18s on the same wheels should (on paper) be narrower by 10mm, but I have maybe even less clearance. I happen to have the truck up on the lift right now so here's a pic at full droop.

Those probably have a lot of extra side wall material - right? Good of you to point out when the clearances get so close because the slightest difference can then make or break the plan.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Replaced front sway bushings and end links with the HD version from Britpart made by Meyle:

IMG_9851.jpg

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9850.jpg

For the ne difficult bolt others have mentioned, yeah, it's only accessible by a short narrow 18mm socket that is usually going to be non-impact due to smaller barrel. I used two different box wrench shapes to first break it then the 3/8 non-impact socket with 3/8 impact universal joint and extension on an air racket with about 560 ft-lb.

However, if you have the tools to loosen this item, it is mounted in a pivot type connection to stay against it's counterpart. If you just create a 1/4" or so gap, it allows much better access to the upper bolt. No problem rally but the torque to break these three was more than I could get with a 12" long box wrench so I used the air tool and it still took maybe 10 seconds duration to get them moving.

Retigjtening them I went to a 16" long 1/2" rachet followed by the air tool to see if same time would nugget it which it did about 1/16 more turn.

IMG_9849.jpg

Some of the tools used for reference/planning your own :)

IMG_9853.jpg

morrisdl

Adventurer
Why is it Yellow? Im about to go with new air struts, any better options in the market for extra heavy LR3s?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Why is it Yellow? Im about to go with new air struts, any better options in the market for extra heavy LR3s?

"Yellow"? Are you living under a rock ? ;) ever heard of Billstein? Always yellow w blue for their top of line products. This is the best right now.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, maybe.... :)

I recall the Arnot front strut I snapped a couple years ago was built on a Billstein. They have since changed. Of course, that's not to say the actual Billstein branded kit is the same as what they were selling to Arnot.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Well, maybe.... :)

I recall the Arnot front strut I snapped a couple years ago was built on a Billstein. They have since changed. Of course, that's not to say the actual Billstein branded kit is the same as what they were selling to Arnot.

I think these dampers are the new thing about it. I have the rear dampers coming too but will slip them into the existing air springs.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Yes I knew Bilstein's are traditionally yellow, but didnt know they own the exclusive rights to that color and every LR3 strut I had seen todate is black. I never knew that the dampener and airbag are interchangeable. Where did you find these?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Duh, obviously they have rights to yellow...but so does Old Man Emu brand ... ;)

Ok, note the " ;) " and sarcasm.

I always start with the direct company website for part numbers, then just google (anyone invest in google stock... ? Clearly a good choice) Anyway, I found them both on Amazon (another awesome investment ) and eBay. I'll dig up links for you. Even Rovers North has them I think.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Thanks. I appreciate the link. Im going to replace mine soon and havnt had the time to research the options. From a quick browse of google results the "Yellow" are 2X the price of OEM black. I might just go with OEM - i got a good 140K miles (and counting) of hard driving and the only issue is a couple torn dust boots. Im sure my dampeners are wornout and its just makes more sense to replace the airbags at the same time as PM. Maybe add the +1" spacers and I can keep a working old front & rear strut as trail spares.

Jwestpro

Explorer
You're saying The billstein "OEM" standard is only $118? Mine weighs too much and I drive too much to not go with the higher quality 4600 series dampers but I understand .

morrisdl

Adventurer
Guess thats why I need the link....When I googled I found the OEM for $223 and the Yellow Bilstein for $557 each. I haven't really researched yet, so you experience would be helpful.

Clipboard01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94