1985 Aussie Jayco Camper offroad conversion.

miller_au

Adventurer
Hi all,

3 years ago I built an off road camper for our family to hit the bush and tour in. At the stage it was fine for the wife, me and the 2 kids (then 3 and 6 months old).

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-23%20at%209.13.43%20pm.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-23%20at%209.11.28%20pm.png

Fast forward a few years and the kids are now 6 and 3 and we now have a 3rd.

While I love our rear fold, space was just too limited without the awning attached and over Easter my wife dropped the bomb that she wanted a camper van 

So a week later we found a really tidy 1985 Swan and over the weekend headed off on a road trip to check it out.
Really happy with the condition, and the big tick of approval from the kids we laid the cash down and dragged it home.

FullSizeRender.jpg

So plans for this thing?

I plan on building a heavy duty chassis for it with better suspension. Kinda the home build outback style Jayco. Then hit the road and enjoy it. I hope the ease of setup and a few more creature comforts will see the family wanting to join me in the bush more often.

Anyway, I hope to have some updates soon. First job will be fixing the roof cables. The bloody thing let go when we wound it up once we got home!

miller_au

Adventurer
Got to work trying to sort the roof today. Apart from the broken cable the winch wasnt ratcheting as it lifted so I decided to pull it and check it out.

After stuffing around with it for a while I soon had it sorted. A stripped bolt wasnt letting the gear stay engaged. Replaced it, added a spacer on the main shaft, banged it back together and bingo! It all works now.
Added the new main cable and hooked it all up.
Its a little tense winding the roof hoping it will hold all that weight!

IMG_0137_1.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Since the roof was up I decided to take some interior photos. My wife wants to loose the blue covers and will make something up a little less out there.

This thing is super tidy for its age and has been well looked after.

IMG_0143_1.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0144_1.jpg

IMG_0142_1.jpg

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
Looks like a clean unit Miller. Nice find. Are you going full on with the mods? Making it off road?

As to the cables, when we had a Dove I got some alum' channel and cut it to length so it popped over the lifting posts and the velcro on the canvas held them in place. That way you could take the weight off the cable when camped for a while and no chance of the roof falling on your head. ;)

Look forward to the build.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
looks like its in great shape! My wife also likes how much room are in these things compared to a small teardrop style....

miller_au

Adventurer
Looks like a clean unit Miller. Nice find. Are you going full on with the mods? Making it off road?

As to the cables, when we had a Dove I got some alum' channel and cut it to length so it popped over the lifting posts and the velcro on the canvas held them in place. That way you could take the weight off the cable when camped for a while and no chance of the roof falling on your head. ;)

Look forward to the build.

Yeah I'm going to modify it a fair bit. It will be off road. Not full off-road because I just don't think the body would last but it will be similar to the outback model.

kzam

Observer
I've always liked this style of camper because you get so much space and great amenities in a simple, small package. At the same time, I worried they just weren't designed to be dragged over miles of remote rutted trails and washboard roads.

I love the idea of taking an older model like this and enhancing it with a modern off-road suspension that can withstand some abuse. It's brilliant!

I'll be following your project for sure!

miller_au

Adventurer
At the same time, I worried they just weren't designed to be dragged over miles of remote rutted trails and washboard roads.

True. These ol girls are literally held together with staples and a prayer.
The upgrade will allow it to get further than it could originally and we will eventually upgrade the interior to something built a little sturdier.

Started the suspension mock up tonight.
It's coming along nicely.

2cd382cb6128049d707dd805264ad3ed.jpg

a6aed5401f6a29e8f18808c1f38f98af.jpg

5bfe0e3af32740967d98a1439f165165.jpg

miller_au

Adventurer
She's rolling! 33's will probably be too tall and the rims are the wrong offset but they are what I had hanging around. I'll sort tyre size and offset when I have the body mounted.

8bf82f9ac12d53735fdf26b5aa69668e.jpg

225b01ef239cf0301bc28b1f26356f39.jpg

765527f9e05d21de9f9149d218ea1df0.jpg

miller_au

Adventurer
2 angle grinders, a recipro saw and about 4 hours I had the old chassis clear of all the old stuff.

Gc1rPB.jpg

aApEMY.jpg

The pile of left over Jayco..
JpcAal.jpg

Then finished welding the spring mounts and made up mounts for the shocks. Also mounted the new stabilizer legs.
5xYmzr.jpg

DUTWjE.jpg

And then finally new meets old..

v9lM1z.jpg

b6FEPv.jpg

OYz1ZF.jpg

When it was in place I mounted up the 265/70R17's to the factory GU rims. Even though it was stable on the timber blocks, it was a relief to have it back on its wheels.

AhFQzG.jpg

Next on the list is to finish welding the new chassis to the old sub frame.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Well conceived and executed project. Can you describe the differences between the original frame/axle/tires and your replacement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online