Capital Reef National Park 5.6.17 and 5.7.17

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Took a quick trip last weekend to Capital Reef National Park to get away from work and the new project. Most of the photos are from the Cathedral District on the north end of the park and then from the Rim Overlook/Navajo Knobs Trail.

Cathedral District:

Water crossing along the Fremont River, Hartnet Road.

The view from Lower South Desert Overlook / Jailhouse Rock - I was planning to hike down closer to Jailhouse Rock but the trail quickly faints once you get down lower and I didn't quite feel like taking that hike.

Jailhouse Rock (miniature effect)

The view from Upper South Desert Overlook

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The view from the Upper Cathedral Valley Overlook.

Old Cabin

A closer look at the monoliths.

Soon after taking this photo I got stuck in a dust/rain storm with a little lighting and thunder. I made a B-line back to my car, I was getting pushed around some by the wind.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The Gypsum Sink Hole

Meh, Temple of the Sun.

Meh, Temple of the Moon.

Spent the rest and the afternoon back at the main campground in Fruita just relaxing and exploring the area.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Sunday morning I took the 9+ mile round trip hike along the Rim Overlook/Navajo Knobs Trail before heading back home.

Overall, it was a great trip despite being brief.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of my favorite National Parks! Great pictures!
Hope you got some fresh pie at the little store there at the Fruita campground.
If you camp there in late Summer or early Fall (October is the best time) you can pick fresh apples off the trees. Yummy!
There are cool trails all over the park and in the National Forest to the North.

grogie

Like to Camp
I spent one night at the Catheral campground in 2014, and certainly want to go back to explore. Unfortunately I just ran out of time on that trip. Thanks for the sharing your pictures!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We were there years ago and stayed at the Cathedral primitive campground. The road from the river up was decent but to our surprise a fine couple in a Prius was there already minus some of it's body hardware. Dry,dry when we were there in April. It's even more spectacular with precipitation. Nice shots!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
One of my favorite National Parks! Great pictures!
Hope you got some fresh pie at the little store there at the Fruita campground.
If you camp there in late Summer or early Fall (October is the best time) you can pick fresh apples off the trees. Yummy!
There are cool trails all over the park and in the National Forest to the North.

Nope, no pie. Ice cream sounded and tasted better after hiking.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
If you haven't been to Capital Reef, you HAVE to put in on your to-go list. Generally uncrowded, beautiful scenery, nice rangers (not just because my cousin works there)…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke