Exploration Outfitters bolt-on camper for JKU

jscherb

Expedition Leader
They did extend the bumper to make it look pretty. They said they could fab extension on to a steel bumper for rear rocker protection...

I don't recall how the bumper was attached, but I asked specifically about frame rails and they are not extended ... and I looked, didn't see any. I was curious about how were supporting a tire and was surprised to find out it was a 'glassed extension...I did see a hitch extension into the factory hitch receiver. At 15k,no frame extension, and less than stellar interior details, I lost interest.

Maybe the US vendor can chime in...he's necro'd a few threads supporting the product on various forums.

I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat at 5k for the body and hard top extension...For your safari top, I'd pay extra. I'd pass on their RTT given the hinge configuration at the front.

sent via the cone of silence

It wouldn't be hard to make a mold for a tub extension like the Gazell, but if I did it part of the design would have to be a frame extension - it would be pretty easy to do it the same way Jeep extended the TJ frame to make the LJ frame - extend the frame rails back and put a duplicate rear crossmember at the back. This photo shows a section of LJ frame on the garage floor as I was working to extend the frame on my LJ to turn it into the Retro Wrangler pickup - notice the duplicate rear crossmembers in the back, although Jeep only extended the frame about 5" in the back for the LJ, for a camper like the Gazell it could be extended 15" or whatever length necessary. By doing that the Jeep engineers ensured that any bumper or other accessory that fit the TJ also fit the LJ, which would also be a good thing if it were done for an extension like the Gazell.

Then you could use a frame/bumper mounted tire carrier and not hang the spare off the fiberglass extension - hanging a heavy spare on the fiberglass seems like a bad idea to me. Maybe Gazell reinforced their extension by embedding steel inside it?

RetroFrameLengthening1_zps6873d7bc.jpg

BTW if you were making either one-off tub extension in metal or making a mold master to make a mold for a fiberglass extension, body parts are available from MOPAR, for example the rear tub corners: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...odel=15995&modelYear=2015&ukey_category=22687 - they're not even expensive, less than $80 each. When I made the molds for the Dinoot fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit I started with replacement tub corners - the same thing could be done to make a mold for a JK tub extension...

EndPanel10.jpg

TubMockup4.jpg

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
It wouldn't be hard to make a mold for a tub extension like the Gazell, but if I did it part of the design would have to be a frame extension ....

Agreed - I didn't think that a frame extension would be all that difficult to fab/produce as a kit. It could even be bolt-on - While folks underestimate the strength of the rear frame section on JKs as evidenced by some posts, I would not rely on a hitch extension to carry the factory tongue weight along with the typical heavy bumper/carrier/jerry can situation. I like your thinking about making sure that accessories would be bolt on/fit the frame extension. The Gazelle simply extended the rear tirewell boxes back and I believe added some doors to access the compartments. Not 100% sure.

If the rear extension could use the 2dr Hardtop glass and then maybe your rear pillar glass pieces, I suppose one would not be limited to ~15". However, reusing the 2dr side glass would save time & money on the fab...and maintain the ratios such that it appears like a factory option.

To simplify the structure, I am not sure I'd load rate the hinge mounting locations sufficient to handle anything more than just a spare...and instead default folks to use a bumper mounted tire carrier.

Features I'd look for:

Frame extensions
Rated Tow/Hitch Receiver
Rated Recovery Points (either through bumper or frame extensions)
Rear Cubby/floor storage like the existing JK, but deeper.
Rear Quarter Panel cubbys (if extending the fenderwells).

Optional:
Some sort of sport cage extension to permit a roof rack to be installed
Steel rear corners
Exhaust hanger location

The other thing that looks relatively easy would be to add some steel rear fender armor - live the AEV or Poison spider rear corners. Seems like this would do multiple things : add strength to the entire extension, add rear upper quarter panel protection, and avoid a finish issues with the glass. It may add too much additional cost to have a rear corner extension look right and still be functional.

Another thought - adapt an AEV Brute Kit to work as a JKUXL. Didn't AEV extend the frame rails? Their rear bumper solution looks great.
bdc-overview.jpg

The whole concept is beyond my workshop and time - so I'd have to buy a bolt on kit.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Just found a URL of Rubtriux having done this all in steel - no hardtop extension. https://www.rubitrux.com/go4x4it/mojave-jk-ext/

Where the Rubtrux kit falls apart is the hardtop/bed - the lines / ratios just don't look right to me and they ended up with something that doesn't quite look right.
JK_Truck_Photoshop-_Resized.jpg

This is where your skills would come in jscherb to make this a successful and affordable kit.

Here is another interesting idea....and this would solve my child seat problem in spades...but the ratios aren't quite right. The rear window looks too long as does the rear door.
Jeep Wrangler JK…with Third Row Seating?
The "JK Six Pak," created by Michigan-based Quality Metalcraft, has made it possible to take five of your closest friends as far into the wilderness as you dare.
"This (Jeep) started life as an AEV JK Double Cab Chassis," says Michael Chetcuti with Quality Metalcraft Inc., a Michigan-based low-volume custom parts and vehicle fabricator. "We took that chassis and were able to marry a two-door body to a four-door body…and we stretched the vehicle about 23 inches."
Ward says "this seems to make a lot of sense," and wonders why original equipment manufacturers aren't doing stuff like this.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2AynVGQe4
sixpack661.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts of making a kit?

It's an interesting design challenge, so I've been giving some thought to how I would go about building a DIY tub extension kit (including a bolt-on frame extension). Not sure there would be enough demand for an extension kit to make it commercially viable, so for now it's just an interesting design exercise.

I think there would be

Especially if you can control the price. Think about it other than the j30 ursa minor what other options are there? This kit but at 15 k plus say 40 -45 for a new ruby pushing 60 k Wow what could you get for 60 k But I suspect many are like me our jeeps are paid for maybe some serious miles on them and do not want to spend northwards of 6gs for a camper top. But an rtt isn't the answer. I am so surprised the 180 didn't sell more bring it in at 4K and you won't be able to build them fas enough

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's probably not possible to do a DIY camper kit at $4k or under that also includes a tub extension. One design idea I've been sketching involves the DIYer converting his factory hardtop to modular (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160775-Converting-a-factory-JK-JKU-hardtop-to-modular), then installing a kit that would include a new roof panel that includes the pop-up tent section. One benefit of this approach is that the modular camper roof could be removed and replaced with the stock top/Freedom panels when not in use as a camper. When outfitting for a camping expedition, the modular-converted factory roof would be removed from the Jeep and the camper roof bolted in its place - the modular-converted factory hardtop side panels and rear panel would remain in place. I can imagine doing so it could retail under $4k. But what I'm not sure I can imagine is enough people wanting to do the DIY work to convert their hardtop and install the kit.

Adding a tub extension I'm sure would price the kit over $4k.

One side benefit of making a mold for the rear extension is that the same mold could be the beginning for a JK-styled trailer kit - two extensions and some Dinoot side panels bolted together could result in an affordable JK trailer kit.

emkay

Observer
Just some thoughts: The Gazell kit was developed in Europe. Here (I am from Germany) we have totally different regulations on what modification is still street legal or not. ANY alteration, including drilling a hole, to the frame is highly prohibited. Doing so requires a lot of painfully expensive procedures, testing in official labs and so on. I think that is why they did not stretch the frame. The actual stretched top is just considered as being "load", so no need for e.g. crash tests etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Chiming In From Oklahoma

First off, so sorry that it took me so long to find this thread and hopefully answer some questions and get some further information out. Versus trying to reply to each individual post, I've made a list of questions/comments/opinions and I'll do my best to address them all in this post, and at least start the baseline for further conversations.

So, as everyone is already aware, we displayed a brand new JKU at Expo with the Gazelle extension kit & new top installed on it. As far as the Gazelle kit goes, it was the 3rd kit ever produced, and is the only one that has ever been imported into the USA. The kit was originally purchased with the intention of installing it for a customer who'd been interested in the kit for several years and we were finally able to get our hands on one that had been sitting here in the USA for a year or so. The customer we built the rig was very enthusiastic with the product and decided to put a proposal together with Gazelle to begin importing the kits (in partnership with us @ EO) and be the exclusive distributor for that product line here for North America.

For the sake of honesty, my expectations were pretty low for the fitment of the kit & components prior to their arrival. I really expected there to be significant issues with fitment/installation and expected it to require a lot more than Gazelle's advertised "bolt on" extension. To all of our surprise, the kit installed very easily, and with a few minor tweaks/changes based on differences between US & European vehicles, everything worked exactly as it should, and the kit works very well. There are certainly areas for improvement on some of the components, and we are addressing those things. A lot of the areas we feel "need improvement" have been addressed in the new production model kit, and we look forward to receiving them in the coming months.

To answer/address some specific items/questions:

1) The rear extension piece is not only a fiberglass piece. It is a stainless steel skeleton with a fiberglass mold around those pieces. On the driver side, the stainless plates bolt into the location of the factory tailgate striker and slider, and on the driver side, into the 6 factory tailgate hinge bolt locations. Inside the extension, the stainless framework extends up into the passenger side to incorporate the mounts for moving the tailgate and supporting the weight of the tailgate. Additionally, in areas where other things bolt in (such as taillights, rear bumper, etc.) there are threaded stainless plates molded into the fiberglass to allow secure mounting of those items. The extension piece itself is much stronger than I expected it to be before installation, there is absolutely no deflection of that piece even with the top off and no floor plates for additional support.

2) To address questions regarding supporting a spare tire, etc. On the Gobi JKU at Expo, we used a TeraFlex rear tire carrier/reinforcement plate to support the 35" spare tire as well as a shovel, Rotopax, etc. on a custom fabricated mount. The "show Jeep" now has about 3000 miles on it (had 34 when we started) and has shown absolutely no issues with that particular system being used and mounted to the fiberglass extension. No damage to the fiberglass, no warping, rattles, etc. Those miles are a mix of highway, offroad including trails in Moab, crappy Oklahoma roads, etc. To be clear, this shouldn't be the only option that someone has to settle for, but I feel comfortable saying it is definitely a viable option and works well.

3) Regarding the rear receiver hitch extension that was used on the Gobi Jeep: That was in no way installed as a support to the bottom of the kit, nor was it installed with the intention of pulling a trailer. We are absolutely aware that having a 14" receiver extension degrades the tow capacity of any vehicle and is not a realistic option for pulling a trailer. That receiver extension was installed because 1) we were on a very tight timeline to get the rig finished for Expo, and 2) we knew that we would be wheeling the Jeep on the way to Expo & after, and we wanted to make sure we had a solid rear recovery point. Thats why in pictures/video underneath, there is no trailer wiring, etc.

4) Regarding the floor, yes, the floor that was in the show Jeep is the floor that Gazelle provided with the extension kit. Out of everything in the kit, it had the most fitment issues. It was CNC routered and cut by them, and can & will be done better on production models. I don't really feel it is fair to describe it as just a sheet of plywood, as it is a little more than that, but it definitely can use some improvements and a little better attention to detail, and that is being/has been addressed.

5) Installing some type of corner armor would be absolutely no issue on the kit, whether it was AEV Corners or a full length style corner such as Poison Spyder. The only issue with using an off the shelf corner would be the fuel door location, so it would take some fabrication to fill in that hole but definitely doable and no reason why they wouldn't fit and protect the fiberglass.

6) Rear bumper - this is a big one. The rear bumper that was provided by Gazelle and installed on the Gobi JKU was 100% and completely fiberglass, minus a very small diamond tread trim piece above the rear step. It fit really well, and looked pretty good. It bolts into the bottom of the extension piece and is pretty well supported. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. We are working right now on several different versions of a rear bumper with some additional options and intend to make them available when they are tested/fitted/ready to go. There are a lot of customers whose use of a Gazelle equipped vehicle would not be hampered in any way by having a fiberglass bumper, and I'm probably one of them. During wheeling tests on some pretty decent trails we managed to "slap" the bottom of the extension/bumper once, and I cringed when it happened (before Expo), but there was absolutely no damage to the bumper nor the extension. The fiberglass is more resilient than I, or a lot of people probably give it credit for. Having said that, we are working on a metal rear bumper, most likely out of aluminum to save weight.

7) Frame extension - Again, a big one, and something that we're working on right now. It will be a bolt in extension, and tie in with both the extension kit and rear bumper. Now, having said that, there is a heckuva lot of liability in production of some of these items, so while they're being looked at and addressed, they won't be available until we're 100% comfortable with them and have tested them well and know that they will fit.

8) We're also looking at quite a few different iterations of the kit past its present form. Options to include, extended top with no tent, options for a 2 door based on lots of requests, miscellaneous interior cabinet systems, etc. Lots and lots of stuff in the works right now and in the pipeline.

9) Pricing - another big one. This product is manufactured currently in Poland, and they do a very good job of it based on what we've seen so far. I can guarantee that regardless of price & profit margins, if it is ever manufactured anywhere aside from Poland and we're still involved in it, it will be here in the United States. We could probably have the kit made in China and be able to retail it for 4K, but we're absolutely not going to even explore that option, because we'd be buying back every 4th kit due to defects. We are exploring North American manufacturing (actively). We've spent the last 4 days completely disassembling the kit and having full high-res 3d scanning done on every piece and part, and we are doing that with the manufacturers/designers from Gazelle's blessing to explore whether it is more cost effective to produce the kits domestically. The pricing on our website that currently reflects $15K is an estimated price, there are a lot of variables that can affect that price one way or another. Additionally, the $15K price estimate includes about $1000.00 worth of components from a MOPAR dealer, as the kits are designed based around 2007-2010 JK rear windows, and thus, for all of us with newer JKs a new rear window and other components are required. So, customers with a 2010 and back JK can expect a savings there as well, and dependent on how much you want to remove from your factory hard top the savings can be extended even further.

As we stand right now, we have 20 Gazelle kits in production, with the first container slated to arrive sometime in September. We are strongly shooting for before Expo East, but its still too early to tell. The kits that are incoming will be available in several different configurations, to include a base system, all the way to a fully loaded system with built-in cabinetry and everything in between. We've got multiple kits spoken for already for customers, both DIY and who want a complete turn-key build, and I think once we have all the details ironed out and more information to provide regarding pricing/options/etc. the demand will grow considerably.

I apologize for the long reply, I wish I'd have seen this thread earlier to answer questions in each individual thread versus a big long post. I hope that this helps answer some questions/disperse a little more information about not only the JKU we built for Expo but also the kits and what the future has in store for them. I am 100% happy to answer any additional questions, and am now subscribed to the thread so I won't miss them. Thanks!

Matt Green
Owner
Exploration Outfitters
matt@explorationoutfitters.com

Jurfie

Adventurer
Matt, appreciate the thorough response. A couple questions/comments:

1. What is the plan for a 2-dr model? Unless I'm missing something, I'd think that if someone wanted an extension, they would just buy a JKU. What I'd love to see is a pop-up camper that has an internal slide to increase the bed to a reasonable length up top when open.

2. From my kayaking days, I recall that the quality of workmanship by Polish manufacturers was pretty impressive. Good on you for not scrimping on quality for the sake of price, as I'm sure that would just be a short-term benefit until the word gets out about quality issues. If you haven't already done so in your search for a US manufacturer, have a look at some smaller scale boats builders; there is a talented kayak builder in Bellingham, Washington (http://www.sterlingskayak.com) that has some interesting manufacturing processes to increase strength while keeping weight down. They wouldn't be cheap, but it would be top notch quality. I've been wanting one of their boats for a long time, and will likely buy one in the near future. Not sure if they'd be interested in taking on this type of product, but it might be worth talking to Sterling (he's a great guy) and maybe tour their shop and get some ideas.

Good luck with the new business!

ratled

Adventurer
Thanks Matt for the reply. i look forward to any updates you can provide here or say on Youtube. As far a the cost, while $15k is no joke, how many folks will pay that or more for an off road tear drop that does essentially the same thing but has it's own set of issues. I'm working with an HOA now to get a Lead Dog trailer and your "kit" provides a viable option for me.

Thanks again

ratled

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Matt,

Thanks for the very detailed rely. I can tell you are very passionate about this, and I can't wait to see where it goes!

...a 2 door kit!?!?!?! NICE!

-Dan

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think when a vendor takes the time and effort to respond to concerns without any defensiveness, it indicates a true willingness to provide a good product.

good onya Expedition Outfitters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz