Exploration Outfitters bolt-on camper for JKU

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Thanks for the feedback guys! It is definitely a work in progress, but I think that there is quite a bit of potential in these kits. To give an example, the customer we built this rig for, prior to bringing it back for 3d scanning, had to take his family to the airport. They were leaving for a month long trip overseas, with luggage for 4 people. Now, for the ordinary JK owner, it would pretty much be impossible to facilitate 4 people riding in the Jeep and a month's worth of luggage for 4 people without looking like the Beverly Hillbillies moving to LA (which probably would've fit right in here in Oklahoma) :)

Even with the interior cabinets still installed in the JKU, he had plenty of room, with the back seats up and his kids riding comfortably, to load all of their luggage without haphazardly stacking everything and waiting for the avalanche when you open the rear door. So, it goes beyond the obvious benefits for overlanding/camping. The cool thing about this rig/these kits is that they are just as daily-driver friendly as they are for trail use, and that to me goes a long way to the value/cost analysis. We're passionate about all the rigs we build here at the shop, but as you can tell from the posts, we're very excited about seeing what comes together with these kits and what our customers imaginations allow us to do incorporating these kits into JKU builds.

Thanks again guys!

Matt
EO

taz223

Matt what affect did the kit have on the MPG?

Thanks

ratled

Surprisingly very little. Its hard to say exactly what the kit changed as we did the complete build at the same time. But, on the trip out to Expo West, the average MPG (according to the on-board reading, not verified manually) was right around 14.5. That is 4.10 gears with 35" tires and the rest of the components we added. That was a whole lot of I-40 so cruising between 75-80 MPH the whole way there.

ratled

Adventurer
Thanks Matt, I figured it wouldn't with so little weight but I was wondering how it affected the air flow. A follow up question if you don't mind, is it possible to add some kind of awning on these such as the popular Fox Wing or even just an ARB?

Thanks for patience and info

ratled

taz223

We're working on some different awning mounting designs/options as well. Got a couple of ideas floating around that I think will prove promising for mounting accessories. Hopefully I can get some updates posted soon. Keep the questions rolling, happy to answer them!

ratled

Adventurer
Since you asked and this is quickly moving up from plan B to plan A, what is included with the kit? Is it possible to add some kind of a skid plate to give some protection to the extension?

Thanks again

ratled

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I’m not currently a Jeep owner, however this looks to be a very interesting option.

Kudos on the responses by Matt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ratled

Adventurer
Unfortunately the deal fell through with EO. Too bad Matt does outstanding work. Red River Rigs out of TX is now offering them. They are now almost $20k for the base unit. I have tried to contact them several times but never received any replies so I gave up on them. Too bad Matt couldn't have worked the deal with Gazell, he was Johnny on the spot to respond to inquires.

That is unfortunate. We need some alternatives tomthe typical rtt or the ursa minor dont get me wrong i think thevursa minor is great but i cant afford one and the rtt with rack and tent i think addsbto much top heav y weight plus i like driving a softop p around

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised we haven't heard of anyone doing their own version of an extended JK/JKU, while it's not simple, it isn't an impossible project. An extended JKU hardtop can be made pretty simply by mixing parts from a JKU and JK hardtop and splicing together a longer roof panel, here's an extended hardtop design edited onto a photo of the Jeep Africa concept:

AfricaLengthTop1_zpsdrcmqyzx.jpg

And the tub can be extended with some sheet metal work, or a fiberglass tub extension wouldn't be too hard to make. This is a quick mockup of a fiberglass tub extension for a TJ/LJ I've been playing with... a TJ/LJ would be easier to extend than a JK/JKU because there are no curves on the TJ/LJ and used tubs are readily available, but a fiberglass extension for a JK/JKU wouldn't be too hard to do.

ExtendedMockup1_zpsxzmo4k42.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94