Exploration Outfitters bolt-on camper for JKU

haven

Expedition Leader
https://explorationoutfitters.com/collections/turn-key-rigs-for-sale/products/2017-jeep-rubicon-gobi

Making an appearance at Overland Expo West is a nifty camper for late model Jeeps.
gobi 1.jpeg
gobi 2.jpeg
gobi 3.jpeg

This kit, a prototype from forum sponsor Exploration Outfitters, bolts in and is completely removable. The key feature is a 15 inch body extension.
Hopefully Exploration Outfitters will post up here about their new project, with specifics about the camper interior features.

The prototype is listed for sale on the Exploration Outfitters website for $91k. The base vehicle is a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. In addition to the camper section, the vehicle has plenty of farkle from other manufacturers. (It's a show vehicle, after all.) So I'm guessing that a standard Wrangler 4 door could be set up with the Exloration Outfitters camper for considerably less.

I can imagine a small rental fleet of basic Wranglers with this camper...just the ticket for visitors to Death Valley NP...Farabees, are you listening?

haven

Expedition Leader
The Gazell website offers this description, courtesy of Google Translate. 180kg is 400 lb.

http://www.gazell.fr/produit/kit-gazell-j-k/

The GaZell "JK is the result of a collaboration between BBF GaZell" and the company AEV (Altitude Expert Vehicles) fan of Jeep. The realization of this project resulted in the birth of Gazell "JK, discrete living cell and perfectly integrated into the unmistakable look of the Jeep Wrangler JK.

The Gazell" JK is a fully removable KIT without holes and without any modification of the vehicle . The rear part is lengthened by 38 cm with a new lifting roof creating a beautiful interior space.

Its interior design has been designed to maximize the many storage spaces. Two types of interior fittings are proposed for 2, 3 or 4 beds including an equipped kitchen, 2 benches with table and WC (according to versions).

The Gazell "JK is specially designed for the Jeep Wrangler JK 4-door (since 2006) She has the advantage of retaining its 5 seats. This is an excellent compromise to go on jeep with all the comfort of a living cell .

it is very compact, the original width of the Jeep 4X4 has not changed the height was increased by 9 cm, giving it a height less than 2 meters. this is the only living cell on the 4x4 market less than 2 m.

its light weight (from 80 kg to 180 kg depending on version) allows your Jeep 4X4 to sneak around while maintaining its road ability. the Gazell "JK has already attracted many Jeepeurs .

Guarantee: The GaZell JK is guaranteed for TWO years on all its polyester structure, the accessories and equipments benefit from a guarantee of ONE year.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I can't wait to see something like this come out for the new Jeep Truck, especially if it has a removable top. It will be the perfect overland vehicle!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It'd be cool to see this without the pop up, but with a raised hard roof.

Wouldn't be too hard to put a stretched Safari Cab roof on it... ;)

GazellSafari_zpsjlueyhp3.jpg

and a Safari Cab barn door...

FinalWashed4_zpspt6u1rib.jpg

And to keep it a camper, a roof top tent?

RTTFinal6_zpsyoyxa4jz.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I see their page now says $15k for the conversion kit - https://explorationoutfitters.com/c...an-safari-gazelle-jeep-jku-jxl-conversion-kit

Significantly more than twice the price of the J30.
The extra interior space would be extremely good to have, though my JKUR is already over GVWR - with more space I would simply have more stuff and be even heavier.
I also wonder about the strength of that "bolt-on" frame extension for stuff like a tire carrier with extra gas, hi-lift, etc. like I have.

I can't wait to see something like this come out for the new Jeep Truck, especially if it has a removable top. It will be the perfect overland vehicle!

If the Jeep truck has a removable roof and a higher payload than the JLU (how could it not?), John at Ursa Minor is going to be very, very sick of me asking for a "JP30".
(The only snag I can think of is that usually the bed of a pickup is separate from the cab so they can flex separately when the frame does. A potential top that ties them together will have problems..)

-Dan

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I looked at this thing closely at Expo West. The frame/frame rails are not extended and the body extension is made out of fiberglass. I don't believe the exhaust is either (creating a hazard). The hitch is simply extended from the factory carrier using a simple extender. Guess they didn't realize that hitch extension reduce the tongue weight capacity.. The floor is a sheet of plywood. The whole thing was frankly kind of cheesy for the price. For 15k, no way. The fiberglass body extension didn't bother me, but not extending the frame rails, slapping down a plywood floor and not doing something to protect the rear quarter panels...I'll pass.

I don't recall them mentioning that it was a prototype...

I really really wanted this concept to work...and be affordable. The extra 15" or so would have been awesome.

sent via the cone of silence

jscherb

Expedition Leader
... The frame/frame rails are not extended and the body extension is made out of fiberglass...

In the photos it appears that a rear bumper is installed - are you suggesting the bumper is attached to the fiberglass body extension or is there some other means of attachment?

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
In the photos it appears that a rear bumper is installed - are you suggesting the bumper is attached to the fiberglass body extension or is there some other means of attachment?

They did extend the bumper to make it look pretty. They said they could fab extension on to a steel bumper for rear rocker protection...

I don't recall how the bumper was attached, but I asked specifically about frame rails and they are not extended ... and I looked, didn't see any. I was curious about how were supporting a tire and was surprised to find out it was a 'glassed extension...I did see a hitch extension into the factory hitch receiver. At 15k,no frame extension, and less than stellar interior details, I lost interest.

Maybe the US vendor can chime in...he's necro'd a few threads supporting the product on various forums.

I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat at 5k for the body and hard top extension...For your safari top, I'd pay extra. I'd pass on their RTT given the hinge configuration at the front.

sent via the cone of silence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles