Lexus GX470???

Hello!

I am hoping this is the right sub forum for my questions. We are looking at upgrading our Rig to one that is a little more suited to our family size. Currently we have a 2014 Wrangler Sahara with a 3" lift running 35' Tires, Warn Zeon 10-S winch, and many other upgrades. We are a family of 5 and started to out grow the wrangler pretty quick. I subsidized this by building a camper trailer from an M101A2 trailer. This gave us much more room to carry the gear necessary for us to make multi day trips successful. I really enjoy the wrangler and its capabilities.

I have been reading through the internet looking for the vehicle that would best suit our needs. I want something large enough for all of us to explore comfortably but still agile enough to get us to places that we enjoy exploring. We are not trying to climb rocks or blaze new trails. We mainly like to explore forest roads and camp in places that are not where you find the typical car campers.

I have looked at both the LC and the GX470 and looks like the GX is going to be in our price range and has the ability to be modified easily for making it off-road capable. What I am struggling with is what years are best? From what I can see looks like the 2004-2007 are the years that have the accessories necessary for modding it to make it ready for us. What are things to consider? What is considered high milage for these vehicles? Looks like most are between 150k-220k for this year range. The prices are ranging from 7k-15k all depends on milage and condition.

What are things to look for? What advise would you give me when looking at vehicles? I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metro area and seems like they are not to hard to find, its just a matter of finding the right one.

I appreciate you insight and help with this.

HitchCrack

SnoViking

Adventurer
We just upgraded to a GX460 this past year and it's be 100% awesome. They are great trucks which have a lot of capability hidden behind all the comfort.

I started looking for a 470 with the sport package (look for black wood trim) and ended up finding a really (really) good deal on my 460. A lot (most, but not all) parts fit from the 4th and 5th gen 4Runners.

They're great trucks with a lot of comfort.

I highly recommend them! :agree:

Bamagirl

Observer
I own the GX 470 and have covered quite a bit of ground with mine stock in the 8 or 9 months I have it. I recently added sliders from Metal Tech and Toyo Open Country ATII tires on mine. I have ridden places like Talladega National Forest 600-1 and 600-2. I did scrub a little on 600-1 and its only because I picked the wrong line. On 600-2 I was with a group and had good spotting/coaching to get through the ruts and off camber places. I have also ridden Hurricane Creek trail in Hartford, TN/North Carolina line 3 times...third time was the charm when I went on a night ride at the SMOR event and nailed a rock pretty hard and bent up my passenger side running board. Since then I have pulled off the running boards and installed the sliders.
There is a group on Facebook called GXOR that is all about GX470 with lots of great information and lots of the people are also on the IH8mud forum like Jlee mentioned in the above post.
I call my GX Blizzard Lizard because of the color and because it crawls and climbs so well I think it could climb a wall straight up! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior