HVAC and generator selection.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I am looking at building a camper on an M1088 chassis. I will need an air conditioner for the camper and a generator on board. The trucks come without air conditioning generally and the air conditioner factory kits are known to be weak, expensive ($2000 ish), and a pain to install, source parts, and get set up right. While I am driving, I will need air conditioning in the cab and camper. I also looked at after market solutions, but all involved either a stronger alternator or mounting a compressor in a cramped engine bay.

What I am considering is getting a generator that can power two roof air conditioners and use one for the cab and one for the camper. This seams like the easiest install option. Plus I have plenty of power if I need it.

First off, what do you all think?

Also, looking at a Honda 7000 or an Onan QD 6000. The Onan is louder and heavier, but tuns on diesel while the Honda is gas, so I would need a dedicated tank for the Honda. The truck is diesel. The Onan is also $3k more but more efficient and set up better for being a built in.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
Right now I am wondering if a single 15kBTU roof top unit is enough for the cab. I think usually big trucks have a bit more cooling. That truck has a huge windshield and lots of surface area. I can and will insulate the cab, but I am a bit out of my expertise enough to know if I will like the result.

Thoughts?

Ramdough

Adventurer
That Onan (I assume RV version) is quite a beast. Goes well with a beast truck.
Said that, If one can justify wanting that much power, (6kw equals a huge amount of cold air !! ) would go Onan for single fuel reason.
Noticed that Gen-Set is 120vac only, nothing wrong with that, just lacks versatility of 240v splitphase, But dunno if splitphase is possible from inverter machine anyway.

I think 6kw is their smallest in production right now that is diesel.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I recall Chrysler bragging that there was so much glass in their cab forward cars of the 90's that they had AC units rated for 22,000 Btus.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Ramdough

Adventurer
I just read that the stock ac is 28,000 BTU/hr, which makes the electric units not a very good option. I still need electric for the camper, but maybe not for the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior