Lantern/ Cooler Questions...

Hobiecat

Observer
@maxmonster

Lanterns: I've got a Coleman lantern and stove that have been passed around the family since the 60s. The lantern doesn't see very much use now that we have a couple of inexpensive solar powered ones. The one I like the most is this little inflatable thing that I picked up for less than $20 at a sporting goods store. My advice would be to take the lantern finds and get a nice stove. Our Coleman stove is our most used piece of gear and scrambles a lot of eggs. I'm actually contemplating a second white gas or dual fuel stove for when we go with friends.....

Coolers: We are very pleased with our RTIC 65 for 2-3 day sailing trips. It's a tad on the big side for short 2 person trips, so we usually throw in a bunch of Nalgine bottles to fill the empty space and slow ice melt. I think a 45 would be too small for a 3 day trip or a trip with another couple.

TwinStick

Explorer
I am also a "Better to have it & not need it, then to need it & not have it" kinda guy, I think the US Army did that to me. :) That being said, I can not suggest strongly enough to save your pennies & get an ARB fridge/freezer as soon as your funds allow. It is truly liberating to not need ice. Even when not camping, they are super useful . We have used our 2 as extra fridge and extra freezer space if having a group of people over, to store meats, wine, beer, etc, for the event. We also use it when shopping a distance away from home or, just not going home right after shopping. We took my mother & step dad shopping at a few niche stores last time they visited, threw the 50qt ARB in the back of the 4Runner & plugged it in & turned it on. Was down to 31*F in 30 minutes. My mom thought that was the neatest thing since sliced bread. FYI, wine bottles & 2 qt soda bottles fit standing up in the 50 qt & 82 qt. Not sure if you can do that with the 37qt or 63qt models. I just can NOT see spending the money for a high end large cooler, when, for a few hundred dollars more, you can have an ARB---or something like it. But that's just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke