Lantern/ Cooler Questions...

maxmonster

Hi all, pretty new to this whole Overlanding/camping thing. Only really camped a few times in high school and it wasn't too rugged... Anyways me and my wife want to start at least getting seasoned in the whole camping thing and I've sourced pretty much everything on my list... 2 things I cant decide on though are a homebase lantern and cooler.

For the lantern, I have my eyes set on either the Streamlight Super Siege (1000 or 1100 lumens max) or the Fenix CL30R (650 lumens). I don't think I would ever use them on their highest setting... my main concern is their medium and low settings. Fenix does have better run times but I do like the Streamlight for the ability to go to such a high lumen setting...

Cooler wise I'm set on either a 45QT or a 65QT. While this will be used mainly for me and my wife. I'm sure there will be trips with other couples or with the church down the road... Another question in relation to coolers. IF I do end up with a larger cooler will unused air volume inside a cooler affect how long ice is kept?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

perterra

Adventurer
My only advice, pick up a fully loaded 65 qt and heft it into the back of a truck before you decide.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
52 qt and no lantern...

Every now and then somebody camps near me and lights up a lantern. Spoils the ambience of the campfire for 300 yards around it. Light pollution.

pcarr01

Hi all, pretty new to this whole Overlanding/camping thing. Only really camped a few times in high school and it wasn't too rugged... Anyways me and my wife want to start at least getting seasoned in the whole camping thing and I've sourced pretty much everything on my list... 2 things I cant decide on though are a homebase lantern and cooler.

For the lantern, I have my eyes set on either the Streamlight Super Siege (1000 or 1100 lumens max) or the Fenix CL30R (650 lumens). I don't think I would ever use them on their highest setting... my main concern is their medium and low settings. Fenix does have better run times but I do like the Streamlight for the ability to go to such a high lumen setting...

Cooler wise I'm set on either a 45QT or a 65QT. While this will be used mainly for me and my wife. I'm sure there will be trips with other couples or with the church down the road... Another question in relation to coolers. IF I do end up with a larger cooler will unused air volume inside a cooler affect how long ice is kept?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
It all really depends on what kind of camping your doing and how accessible you'll be to things like electricity and ice machines.

I grew up camping and have always favored fuel powered lanterns over battery/electric. Though, they aren't good for keeping inside a tent/camper. I recently picked up a Coleman dual fuel lantern to go with my dual fuel stove that both accept white gas or gasoline.

As far as coolers go, if you think you'll need more space and have the room in your rig, go the next size up. Small coolers are handy, but when you start wanting to do longer trips between grocery runs, a little size goes a long way. The air space affecting melt time is almost negligible as long as it's at least about half full.

When comparing coolers, consider how close you'll be to ice when on normal camping trips. Yetis and the like are great for keeping fresh things fresh and cold things cold. That being said, if you camp mostly within a 5 minute drive of a gas station, ice is pretty cheap when comparing a $35 cooler to a $3-400 one.

There are always other considerations too, like size and weight constraints. If your just getting into camping, I'd suggest finding someone that's been doing it for a while that you can trust. Go with them on a trip or 2 and maybe even ask to borrow equipment to see what works for you. Some outdoors stores will let you rent used equipment too. Stuff like that will help you keep from being a bunch of stuff (as much anyway) that you find out doesn't actually work for you. The best way to figure what works for you is to get out and use it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SnoViking

Adventurer
I recently switched from one large lantern to two of the new Goal Zero Micro Lighthouses. (http://www.goalzero.com/p/377/lighthouse-micro-usb-rechargeable-lantern).

They're nice and compact (tiny in-fact), can be hung, or just placed on a table. We use two of them (on the lowest setting) and they're great. They're USB rechargeable and last forever.

I used to be a Coleman lantern guy but after having the kids knock two of them over and break the globes, plus the heat factor (<--fire!), plus the fuel factor, plus they're big..... We switched. We had a Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 which is also great but I wanted something smaller to fit in our kit.

You can pick them up on Amazon for about $20. (https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Li...16&sr=8-4&keywords=goal+zero+lighthouse+micro)

21FAXJpGJ4L.jpg

maxmonster

Some interesting replies... I have a buddy who backpacks alot and hes also been thinking about making the switch to at least some sort of car camping ( i think both our goals are overlanding) but when I asked him about a homebase lantern he also said not too bright. Is light pollution the only reason? Most of what I'm trying to do is backcountry stuff if that makes any difference. And I think for now... I'll stay with a 45 quart... I'm going into this with the mindset of having to add and subtract based on my experiences.

Kevin108

Explorer
I'm still using Coleman lanterns, stoves, and coolers. What you have already may be everything you need.

tarditi

Explorer
Don't overthink this one... Use what you got, upgrade as opportunity and need require

I have a few igloo coolers for knock-around use, have a big 70qt marine cooler we use for scout front country camping, and have an ARB65 for overlanding and roadtrips, etc.

Lots of lighting options - coleman propane lanterns, headlamps, etc. One of the coolest I have is my Goal0 Lighthouse250

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We take lanterns (I collect old Colemans and usually bring one or two with us camping) but really, I've found we rarely use lanterns anymore. If we have a campfire that provides enough "general illumination" for us to be able to see and for specific things like walking around camp at night, an LED head lamp is much easier, more convenient, and leaves your hands free.

It's not like we're cooking after dark or anything like that. In fact, we always strive to have the cooking done, cleaned up and the dishes put away before dark - keeps us from having to scramble around in the dark when we're exhausted.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
agreed on the lantern, it seems like one of those things you are supposed to have but then never use. or use a few times and then figure out you don't need. Winter camping is one thing or hunting when it gets dark early, but if you are summer camping and it gets dark so late you just don't need it. And certainly don't need something that big. You can pick up something like a Moji lantern for $10-15 that is plenty for lighting up a small area or tent if you just want some extra light for cooking, etc. I would start there then work your way up if you find you want it. Headlamp is infinitely more useful.

cooler is tougher, depends on what type of cooking you like to do and how much space you think you need. Do you like to drink things from cans or use ice for drinks? Elaborate meals or simple? 45 is probably fine but could get a little cramped at times. 65 is pretty big for a weekend for just two. but for a family of 4 it's a nice size. that 48-52 someone mentioned is a nice general size. you didn't mention vehicle either so space may be a factor. (i have full sized truck so I've been known to take my 120 sometimes even when I don't need it just because lol) for longer trips then you can also pack more ice if you need it. I tend to go too big probably on my coolers, but I hate not having enough space when I need it. For our raft trips my wife can fill the 120 without even blinking so I have to reign her in and throw some stuff out before the trip lol it's been a long time since I only had to pack for 1-2 people though.

maxmonster

Hm... now you guys got me thinking. I'm one of those guys who would rather have something than not use it rather than not have it when I need it... DEFINTELY doesnt help when there's all these cool things I can buy... haha.

This is all going in a Jeep Cherokee. A lot of space for me considering I used to pack my room up every summer during college into a VW Golf with one trip.

Anyways I think you guys have helped me decide on what direction to go with these... thanks!

perterra

Adventurer
Some interesting replies... I have a buddy who backpacks alot and hes also been thinking about making the switch to at least some sort of car camping ( i think both our goals are overlanding) but when I asked him about a homebase lantern he also said not too bright. Is light pollution the only reason? Most of what I'm trying to do is backcountry stuff if that makes any difference. And I think for now... I'll stay with a 45 quart... I'm going into this with the mindset of having to add and subtract based on my experiences.

Not too bright is fine to have, but if you spend enough time out there, there will be a need for bright light. Trying to filet 20 or so sand bass by moonlight is a real pain in the ********. You can do it with a headlight, but it slows things down. I use fuel lanterns for the most part, either kerosene, gasoline or propane.

Some times I like a little excitement.

MVI_5535.jpg

Last edited:

Biker Eagle

Observer
LED Headlamp and a 45qt cooler. I've got 2 brand new Coleman lanterns still in the box, along with an old one, only time they get used is in hurricane season. Haven't needed one camping since I started using Tikka Headlamps. Less to pack.

Oh an the 45qt cooler is a beast when full. (Rtic) Can't imagine being able to move a 65qt by myself. Gettin old.

Kevin108

Explorer
I always carry a liquid fuel Northstar like perterra. The piezo igniter just makes it too easy. We cook off old single and dual burner stoves too. I top everything up before we head out and carry a fresh gallon of Coleman fuel. It's nice knowing I have at least an extra gallon of something I can throw in the gas tank if things aren't going as planned. I like carrying the lantern for night hikes. I have all grades of flashlight and headlamps, but when you're just out for a stroll, that low-down 360° of light is nice. To me, there's something calming about the clink of the globe and the wandering shadows thrown by that little ball of sunshine you swing by your side.

14918975_1319340081410168_6412567252747839957_o.jpg

Last edited:

gunsandgearnetwork

I like the new LED solar options that are out. Nothing wrong with most any of the fuel type lanterns or even the old fashioned kerosene lanterns but solar and LED is a win win.

I have several of these and they work quite well. Light weight, compact, and bright.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Luci-Outdoor-by-MPOWERD-Inflatable-Solar-Light/38534904

https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci...d=1494905862&sr=8-2&keywords=luci+led+lantern

A good head lamp is a must have for camping. Get one that uses common A or AAA.

Like others have said cooler will depend on size requirements, availability of ice, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz