Wildernest Retrofit for 2006 Frontier

Mud Shark

Hi All, new to forum. Just picked up a Short Wildernest in good shape to put on my 2006 Nissan Frontier. Length leave me with a 2 inch gap which I can seal by attaching material to the bottom of the rear flip up window. Not sure if I will use wood wrapped in rubber or foam wrapped or some type of vinyl? Right now, it's temporarily filled with black duct tape around rolled bubble wrap. Hey, it will hold for a month or so.
Numerous other issues but the biggest one is the narrowness of the Wildernest topper versus the width of the bed rails. I have about 1 - 1.5 inches of the topper resting on the rails, the rest is overhanging into the bed. I'm wondering what the best way is to give more support to the topper by extending the bed rails inward about 1"-2". Just can't really think of what to do there and so I'm looking for suggestions/ ideas. (Instead of clamps I will likely drill through the topper and bed rail and was thinking maybe use some kind of steel plate for extra support at each rail bolt, but again, not sure what the best way to proceed is to make it safe.) For now, I have 4 clamps on each side but due to the narrow contact with the bed rails, I don't trust it for supporting the sleeping area of the Wildernest.
So, thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide... I have also posted this info at wildernest.proboards.com in hopes of some help.

Here is a picture of the Wildernest:wildernest1.jpg
Here are 2 pictures showing the inside / outside view of the rail with topper overhang WNestRail1.JPGWNestRail2.JPG

Here is what fanatical did over on the tacoma boards: fanatical retro2.jpg

What about adding some angle iron along the full length of the bed rails, bolted both to the bottom of the wildernest base and the sides of the bed rails?

Mud Shark

That's the kind of thing I was hoping for- thanks CactusJack! My only concern is the additional weight but I think making it safe takes priority. Also thinking that if I used U channel then maybe I could use the clamps instead of drilling through the tops of the bed rails. Or I guess drill directly into the U channel (or angle iron) and not have to affect the bed rails.

Mud Shark

Here's what I ended up doing with the angle iron on the rails. Not sure about the clamps for the topper since there is no vertical lip for the bottom of the clamps. It's probably ok that way but I'll be drilling a few bolt holes through the rail just to be safe as I'll likely have the topper on year round. FullSizeRender.jpg

Mud Shark

Ended up redoing both rails and topper mount - reversed bolts so that bolts are facing outward. Much more streamlined and less chance of catching stuff on bolt ends. Replace the bolts I had used with grade 5 since I didn't know what the others were. Locktite on threads. About 9 bolts on each rail- it ain't going anywhere. Attached topper with 3 bolts each side - 1/2 inch grade 8. Plus put a clamp on each side up front since they aren't in the way there. That topper ain't going nowhere either but it should be easy to remove when I need to. If u zoom on pix u can see the bolts. May end up replacing topper bolt washers with fender washers but other than that, I'm done with this part of the operation. IMG_3021.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's not the weight that is the concern but rather the force exerted on the driver's side bed rail with the 'Nest open and potentially two people in the bed. It could be 400 lbs or more very easily on the end of a fulcrum pulling up on the mount. I've seen WilderNests mounted on 2nd gen Tacomas (which I have now) and I just feel they're sketchy using cast aluminum hooks in the rails.

I've had a WilderNest for a long time, my '91 had one from 2000 on until I sold it in 2015. People forever have used those topper clamps with WilderNests, they never work well. So at least using a bolt is better than that. Personally I've always also felt that 3 x 5/16" bolts on each rail was better than 2 x 3/8" that was common way back when. In my experience it distorted the rail less and reduced the damage to the fiberglass and plywood in the 'Nest rail to spread the load out.

I'm still in the scratching my head phase to get my 'Nest on my Taco but the idea CactusJackSlade mentioned with angle iron is interesting. The main problem I have with the Taco is the bed rails aren't parallel so it actually fits OK in the back but is hanging way in at the front, like you show on your Frontier.

Last edited:

Mud Shark

Hey DaveinDenver... Yea, I felt the same way about those rail hooks when I saw them, but they do take up less space. By bolting instead of using clamps, I can now fit my pontoon into the bed a little easier side to side width-wise- every inch counts, I guess.

That's the kind of thing I was hoping for- thanks CactusJack! My only concern is the additional weight but I think making it safe takes priority. Also thinking that if I used U channel then maybe I could use the clamps instead of drilling through the tops of the bed rails. Or I guess drill directly into the U channel (or angle iron) and not have to affect the bed rails.

You could have use aluminum angle as well... weight savings, but cost more.... at least now you have a good template! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles