Frankentent experiment: Smittybilt RTT & Tepui Ladder

Kevin108

Explorer
We've had our Smitty RTT for a couple years now. Overall it has been great, but I don't leave anything alone. I've done a few minor things, like lengthen the cover straps to allow for the bedding to be closed inside as intended. The cover was plenty big enough, but the straps were a bit short. When the tent was stuffed to capacity, the loop side wouldn't reach the hook side. I also added a 4' USB-powered LED light strip. From what I've heard, the straps on the newer straps have a different design and the light is more like what I added.

2016-09-23%2017.15.22.JPG

The ladder weirded me out at first. I'm a carpenter by trade, and have spent thousands of days working off them. I am very comfortable on a ladder. But the stock extension ladder seemed small and flimsy, and maybe even too short. I didn't mind it being steep, but I worried about my wife being comfortable on it. I addressed these concerns with an inexpensive telescoping ladder used alongside the stock ladder. It had bigger components, a higher weight rating, and was also handy for other camp tasks, like installing the rain fly or stringing a tarp up between trees.

2015-10-30%2010.43.15.JPG

Wanting to find a solution, I had set things up in the back yard once to really take a look at things and see what it was about it that made me less than comfortable. At that point, and maybe a couple of beers, it gradually occurred to me that my concerns were unfounded, and maybe even completely wrong. We have since had many happy outings with only the extension ladder. It is steep, but it has proven plenty strong, and the height is basically perfect for its mounting height and our FJ's lift and tire combo.

gwnf-4-17.jpg

Last week, a buddy of mine gave me a new telescoping ladder for a Tepui tent. I took a look today to see what it would take to swap it over to our Smittybilt with the extension ladder. Turns out, not much. Just move one mount over one bolt-hole and drill a new 1/4" hole. You could certainly go to the trouble of putting it perfectly in the middle, but the integrity of the material is better retained by adding one hole 1-1/2" from the old hole and having a ladder slightly off center versus adding four holes 3/4" from the old holes and having a well-perforated area in the tent base where all of your weight is placed as you enter and exit.

2017-05-14-17.43.10.JPG

2017-05-14%2021.47.03.JPG

I will say this part weirds me out a little. I think if I cinch it down I'll feel better about it, but I'm sure it's just me being pointlessly weird about this ladder like I was about the original. We're going to test it out a while though and see how it does for us.

ezgif-1-b079185967.GIF

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
Once you're up in the tent, the ladder will "compress" and there won't be any "slack".

One thing I did which just "worked" better for us was to move the red velcro ladder strap from the bottom rung up to the top rung. I just drilled out the rivet that holds the red velcro ladder strap under the bottom rung, drilled a new hole in the top rung, and then used a self tapping stainless steel screw to hold it in place. Once were setup, I can just wrap the strap around the top few rungs and were not tramping all over it and getting it dirty and muddy.

Box Rocket

Once you're up in the tent, the ladder will "compress" and there won't be any "slack".

One thing I did which just "worked" better for us was to move the red velcro ladder strap from the bottom rung up to the top rung. I just drilled out the rivet that holds the red velcro ladder strap under the bottom rung, drilled a new hole in the top rung, and then used a self tapping stainless steel screw to hold it in place. Once were setup, I can just wrap the strap around the top few rungs and were not tramping all over it and getting it dirty and muddy.
The "slack" your seeing in the ladder is from it not being adjusted correctly. Mostly likely all it needs is for the bottom of the ladder to be pushed in closer toward the tent (making the ladder a bit more vertical). It won't take much to eliminate that slack and will compress the ladder rungs so they are all solid and sturdy.

Kevin108

Explorer
I put some pre-load on the tent floor to verify that the jaw (or whatever you like to call the horizontal rib and channel that interlock the two halves) is solidly engaged when I establish the ladder adjustment. This is why the ladder has some "slack" when unloaded. Also, my weight, once in the tent, will also slightly compress the suspension. Adding some pre-load for ladder adjustment ensures everything is loaded up evenly so that the jaw is fully locked but the floating half of the tent well-supported. It's just a different thing to see with the new ladder.

Kevin108

Explorer
Yes, mine is a 2783 from 2015. It is the smaller version, as the 2883 had not been released yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C.L.H

Awesome man.. I just ordered my 2783 yesterday thru 4 WHEEL PARTS.. my goal is to be able to pack all my bedding inside including maybe an additional mattress pad of some sort. Hopefully the new straps you speak of will allow for more flexibility otherwise I will be doing the same strap modification as you.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier