Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

p nut

butter
They're marginally better. Taco's seats go forward, back, and recline. GM's goes forward, back, up, down, and recline. So it's almost a wash.

I test drove a V6 ZR2 and it was fantastic. One thing that struck me was how quiet it was inside. It was dead nuts quiet...I have the same tires (Duratracs) on my Jeep, and they're about the noisiest AT tires I've ever owned. Apples and oranges I know (Jeep is a 94 and zero thought was put into NVH lol), but I could NOT hear those tires at all. On the road, it doesn't turn like a truck. It turns flat like a low car (I wasn't pushing it though). That suspension is amazing on-road.

I've driven a diesel version of a regular Colorado, and while slow, would do me fine. I'm...pokey. :D

I could get a newer Tundra's larger gas tank for cheaper most likely...But I don't have range anxiety. Just a bonus...The ZR2 ticks all my priority boxes, the range part is just icing on the cake. :) The Taco ticks the boxes as well, and I vacillate between the two trucks when I push my brain into making the hypothetical choice today. I've got time to make up my mind and to see how the ZR2 does in the real world for folks (Tacos are quite proven).

Tundra is just enormous and I'm done with full sized trucks for the time being. I bought it because I had two kids in those massive rear facing seats and my truck is my daily/kid hauler/family mover. They're now in boosters, so I no longer need 9 million cubic feet of rear seat.

Just realized that I've never actually posted here, despite reading and referencing things here for years. :)

I notice the same thing in my wife's Subaru. It is LOUD, compared to my truck. And I've even got AT tires. I've heard glass tech has done some impressive things as far as sound insulation. I'm getting old I guess, because I appreciate that a lot now. I used to pine for catback exhausts and cold air intakes back in the day. Not anymore. If I wanted to listen to droning all day, I'll spend more time with the kids, thanks. :D
-
The new Taco to me, is not very impressive. I don't like the downgraded engine (still yet to be "proven" like the 4.0), and the new grill. Personal pref.
-
I've got two kids as well. Even in boosters, I will tell you the extra real estate in the back is ALWAYS a good thing. There is an exponentially increasing correlation between decreasing space and sibling quarrels. Just remember that!

Bob Laublaw

I notice the same thing in my wife's Subaru. It is LOUD, compared to my truck. And I've even got AT tires. I've heard glass tech has done some impressive things as far as sound insulation. I'm getting old I guess, because I appreciate that a lot now. I used to pine for catback exhausts and cold air intakes back in the day. Not anymore. If I wanted to listen to droning all day, I'll spend more time with the kids, thanks. :D
-
The new Taco to me, is not very impressive. I don't like the downgraded engine (still yet to be "proven" like the 4.0), and the new grill. Personal pref.
-
I've got two kids as well. Even in boosters, I will tell you the extra real estate in the back is ALWAYS a good thing. There is an exponentially increasing correlation between decreasing space and sibling quarrels. Just remember that!

Ha! Even with the "not touching you" games, the truck will still be my daily, and as such, should be something I want to drive. Besides, I'm trying to talk the wife into a new XC90 for he next vehicle. It's her turn to DD the kidmobile. Plus, those things are about the nicest I've ever seen for an interior.

My Tundra isn't nearly as quiet as the offerings from Chevy or Ford, especially with the BFG's. But it's still better than the wife's Rogue. Road noise is ridiculous. My GTO is quieter than that thing, and it has well over 600 horsepower LOL

Runt

Adventurer
I test drove the Tacoma TRD & ZR2 5' box gassers back to back this weekend.
Now not considering re-sale value or that Toyota Quality vs Chevrolet argument.

Motor goes to ZR2 - by a long shot!
Automatic transmission was a draw. But TRD manual bump shifter on the auto is a lot better design & more fun to drive in my opinion.
Interior design and aesthetics – Tacoma by a long shot....but the seats are more comfortable in the ZR2.
Suspension, brakes & handling goes to the ZR2. With reservations…..long term reliability & cost replacement of the DSSV dampners being my concern.

At first I thought the ZR2 was the better truck. Having said that it’s not so clear once you really start considering the two for off road or overland use. So I decided to start picking on what I liked that the other truck did not have and I was quite surprised on my results.

What I like about the Tacoma:
The Tacoma has greater aftermarket support by a large margin. The Tacoma is easier/possible to mount a second battery. Also, has power ran to the truck bed already. The spare tire sits up higher under the bed. The rear shocks are not in a vulnerable place or difficult to replace because there made by many manufacturers.... that could be a moot point though, if the spool valve shocks fall apart on the ZR2 you can replace them with standard shocks. The head lights of the Tacoma are also much better than the ZR2. Its available in a standard. The Tacoma has a much more understated appearance that I prefer.

What I like about the ZR2:
It comes with decent tires and nice looking wheels. Higher payload capacity. Less bulbous fenders and feels like a smaller truck. Lower differential ratio is nice if you go one more size up in tire choice. ZR2’s a lot more fun to drive then the Tacoma…..lively due to the extra horse power and handles a lot better due to the DSSV suspension. Costs less and the interest rate is way better.

In the end it came down to the only thing I preferred the ZR2 over the Tacoma that the aftermarket could not solve (can be said for either truck) for me was the price….which is substantial when you consider the interest rate, purchase cost and modifications required to bring the Tacoma to where the ZR2 starts off…..but if you spend the money in the end I think you end up with a better platform with the Tacoma for off road or over land use.

Looking forward to comparing the ZR2 Diesel to both next.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Motor goes to ZR2 - by a long shot!

Really? Couple tests I've seen have the Tacoma beating the ZR2 V6 in acceleration in spite of lower hp numbers, and torque is about the same. Something else you are experiencing?

If you don't like the Tacoma engine, that wouldn't that be a tough thing to upgrade? Superchargers are $$$...

Funny how things change. The old Toyota truck got by with a 120hp 2.4l....

Runt

Adventurer
I felt the ZR2 to be more lively to drive, specifically passing. They both should have a V8 under the hood for what the prices are. Aftermarket is where it's at with the Tacoma though.

Dalko43

Explorer
Really? Couple tests I've seen have the Tacoma beating the ZR2 V6 in acceleration in spite of lower hp numbers, and torque is about the same. Something else you are experiencing?

If you don't like the Tacoma engine, that wouldn't that be a tough thing to upgrade? Superchargers are $$$...

Does Toyota offer a super charger for the new 3.5l v6 in the Tacoma?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

In tfl latest test the Colorado was faster. But i do agree they both have over 250 go plenty for a truck, even a truck loaded down with crap.

F5driver

Adventurer
I test drove both the gas and diesel ZR2. I didn't like the engine/tranny combo on the gasser. The shiftes felt abrupt, and it seemed like the engine and tranny were working against each other. The engine wanted to rev while the tranny tried to keep the rpm's low. The diesel was a different animal. One long, smooth pull where the shifts were barely noticed. Gobbs of torque and the truck felt much better to drive.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The ZR2 is the first vehicle that Chevy/GM has made since the 90's 2-door Tahoe Z71 that has turned my head even in the slightest. I saw one that the guys at Rack Outfitters in Austin rigged up, it was awesome. I admit that if I were in the market for a mid-size pick-up I would have to take a long, hard look at the diesel ZR2. The Tacoma is still an awesome truck, but I think the ZR2 tops it in their current offerings. Now we just have to wait and see what the new Ford Ranger is like.

rruff

Explorer
I wouldn't waste time and money on a non-OEM supercharger....too much risk to the engine's longevity IMHO.

IMO modest gains for too many $$$.

Not much you can do to improve modern engines. Unless maybe you buy a diesel and delete the emissions.

rruff

Explorer
I admit that if I were in the market for a mid-size pick-up I would have to take a long, hard look at the diesel ZR2.

The diesel is intriguing. Just went online to take a look. Not ZR2, just the cheapest models. The crew cab long bed (only 74") with 4x4 and the V6 is $35,465. The diesel is $40,525 (adds ~$5k) . Crew long isn't an option with ZR2. $46,280 for the Crew short ZR2 diesel, ZR2 adds ~$6k.

I bought my much larger Tundra with a 5.7l for $31,200 last fall (MSRP was $35+). I know the Tacomas are basically the same price as the Tundras. Many do not want or need the bigger size truck and engine, but it seems a little funny that there is no cost savings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior