Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

thi is a YMMV

Thanks for the input. I did the same thing sort of.but drove the ZR2 diesel. The diesel was pretty slow feeling and my main ride ride now is a JKU with 165k on the odo and stock gears and 315 70 17. I Liked the zr2 interior much more especially the nice leather seats. And the seating configuration felt a lot better.

The toy is a dated platform but it stills performs pretty well. I did not like the " advance in capability" that toy uses to justify going from 4 wheel disc brakes to rear drums and front discs .

The four drive system on the ZR2 is light years ahead of the toy IMHO if you have not ever had full lockers then it is hard to understand having the knowledge to you there is n't much that can stop you.
Toy I know that on my old 2007 if you didn't have the offload package with a locker then you my as well drive an Oldsmobile to off road in . OPEN Differentials suck. (Don't ask me how I Know kinda thing)

400 watts inverter into ebed is nice but really only powers really low amp draw stuff I out an 800 watt inverter in my jeep and I can run power tools off it easily but there are a hand full of times in 10 years that I wished I had put a 1200 watt inverter in it. Th installs pretty easy I learned on this forum Imho Toyota could have really done something special by upping the inverter to 1200 watts
Styling is a matter of taste I look at the front end of the toy and see Star Wars storm trooper helmets..Not so with the the ZR2

I agree that Toy has a lot more aftermarket support . and that the ZR2 doesn't yet and probably won't
but I bet that you'll be able to get an ARB bullbar/winch bumper pretty quick.

I really don't know that much about the gearing and crawl ratios
I think that you could shoehorn a set of 33s under the wells of the zr2 with no lift and that would be far superior than lifting a toy to get 33s under there.

In the end if you think of overloading seems to me you want the most capable platform to begin with and I think IMHO that that is the ZR2.

I have seen a few comparisons on you tube and they go that way as well.

I am not biased because I really enjoy all trucks, MY screen name is Jeep or TACOMA I don't drive either a toy of a chevy now. But if I were I would most likely be the ZR2

What I really wish chevy had done is made a SUV on the ZR2 platform . maybe even one with a removable top Then we would see some fireworks. LOL

rruff

Explorer
In the end if you think of overloading seems to me you want the most capable platform to begin with and I think IMHO that that is the ZR2.

Whenever I look at the factory options I always come back to buying the base model and upgrading. The ZR2 is a $6k upgrade, and you can do some really nice suspension and lockers for less.

Dalko43

Explorer
Whenever I look at the factory options I always come back to buying the base model and upgrading. The ZR2 is a $6k upgrade, and you can do some really nice suspension and lockers for less.

I don't know about that. Consider that (2) ARB air lockers cost ~$2k (that's not even including the costs of installation). The DSSV suspension (which to my knowledge isn't available on the aftermarket) and the different axles used on the ZR2, and the different tires....I think you'd easily be spending +$6k to replicate the ZR2 via the aftermarket.

If you wanted a ZR2-lite, it might be cheaper to go with aftermarket options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles