Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

mccustomize

Explorer
So the 5 problems he found are the same problems that 100% of every other pickup truck has?

Doors that open more than 90, how many times have you found yourself able to open the extended cab doors more than 90 in a parking lot? Never gonna happen.

Shock mounts, hasn't been a concern for the last 30 years on every other truck, so why a concern now?

The rocker guards cannot be attached to the frame for crash safety reasons. It would alter those characteristics and since we are bound by the NHTSB there is no way around that. The jeep rubicons rock rails are attached to the body, but have never been the concern of a negative review?

It just seems like there is a small group hellbent on making this truck out to be bad, when the reality is this truck is good, very good, and even better for those of us interested in a growing offroad industry. This truck is good for the industry if you drive a Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Dodge, or any other dirt capable vehicle plain and simple.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Haters are going to hate. Communist Reports will always hate American built. 4x4 Magazines will always feature Fiats. It's like rain in Seattle, at some point you realize that yelling at the sky doesn't really change anything.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Some good points, some silly nit picks (imo)

Good article. Hope GM reads it, and makes an awesome truck even more... awesome-er. :)

I agree with a few things like the doors. Having them swing past 90* is definitely a usable advantage. Just ask an F150 Super Cab owner.
Sliders mounted to the body can be made lighter, and still provide exceptional body protection (Just look at the Rubicon Recon, Hard Rock, X). A dedicated Rock rig it's not. So why weigh it down.
I personally like a bit of rake, but I understand a lot of people like a leveled look. Hard to do with soft springs, and any type of payload.
Adding a bit more to set it apart would make a great options list (the base price for value is pretty darned great in my opinion). Adding options to dress it up would give GM/Dealers more profits, instead of the aftermarket.
Too much hanging... Yep I agree, but I agree with that statement being made about the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon too.
I do think they should have figured a way to raise the gas tank another half inch, and put a skid plate on it. He didn't mention that, but if I was to buy one, it's one of the first things that would need to be done, along with a body lift to fit bigger tires.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The rocker guards cannot be attached to the frame for crash safety reasons. It would alter those characteristics and since we are bound by the NHTSB there is no way around that. The jeep rubicons rock rails are attached to the body, but have never been the concern of a negative review?
Toyota offered OEM sliders that bolted to dedicated mounts on the frame of the FJ Cruiser.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Good article. Hope GM reads it, and makes an awesome truck even more... awesome-er. :)

I agree with a few things like the doors. Having them swing past 90* is definitely a usable advantage. Just ask an F150 Super Cab owner.
Sliders mounted to the body can be made lighter, and still provide exceptional body protection (Just look at the Rubicon Recon, Hard Rock, X). A dedicated Rock rig it's not. So why weigh it down.
I personally like a bit of rake, but I understand a lot of people like a leveled look. Hard to do with soft springs, and any type of payload.
Adding a bit more to set it apart would make a great options list (the base price for value is pretty darned great in my opinion). Adding options to dress it up would give GM/Dealers more profits, instead of the aftermarket.
Too much hanging... Yep I agree, but I agree with that statement being made about the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon too.
I do think they should have figured a way to raise the gas tank another half inch, and put a skid plate on it. He didn't mention that, but if I was to buy one, it's one of the first things that would need to be done, along with a body lift to fit bigger tires.

The counterpoint is GM builds the truck for the largest group of people, we modify our rigs to our specific needs and tastes. My biggest issue is the tiny tire size. Life starts at 35" tires - I think it will be a challenge to put those on (with that said, I have spent a few moments looking really close at doing cut out flares and think it's actually quite possible to at least get to a 33.... but I still want 35s)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lol life starts getting expensive at 35" tires. Rarely are they needed, gearing needs to be changed, etc, etc. Not saying there is anything wrong with all that, just saying we all seem to get by fine without them.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Lol life starts getting expensive at 35" tires. Rarely are they needed, gearing needs to be changed, etc, etc. Not saying there is anything wrong with all that, just saying we all seem to get by fine without them.

Not me. I"m on 35" tires and 3" of lift.
35" tires added clearance under the axles to help limit dragging the shock & control arm mounts, along with the pumpkins/gear covers. 3" of lift helped keep the fuel tank out of the dirt.
I spent enough time banging the dents out of the fuel tank skid plate, and ended up bending both axle covers until they leaked (twice) with 32" tires and 1" of lift (Rubicon-X package). Those tires and lift made a significant difference in the large boulder strewn areas we like to go.

That said, If I could get away with a 1" body lift to run 33" tires on the ZR2, I'd be really tempted, versus cutting sheet metal. But only because I'm horrible at body work. ;)
Then I'd probably go back to the same areas, and curse myself for not cutting the body, changing the gears/axles and running 35" tires. :rolleyes:
If I end up selling the Jeep and getting a truck (most likely F150) it will be on 35" tires with the required mods. There are just too many beautiful remote places to go see in "easy mode". :)

Outback

Explorer
Don't count on it. The head guy for the US market said no way on a diesel Tacoma. He said customers wouldn't buy it. LOL pretty short sighted that one. The only reason I haven't purchased a Tacoma yet was because everyone else has a diesel coming out or so i thought. Chevy got it right first! Jeep maybe 2nd but a dissapointing conversation with a Chrysler rep today makes me think they are not going to any time soon due to the EPA law suit against them. I was going to pick up two 2018 diesel Rubicons. In fact I was going to put money down so I could get first crack at them. Looks like the Colorado is the way I will go. I hesitated on them 2 months ago due to the spare tire hanging down lower than I like and the smallish 31" tires. I was holding out for the rubicons I think I'm over that now. I have my spare mounted in the bed of my Tacoma work truck for easy access. Will do the same on the Colorado.

Not exactly on topic but you never know

Long before the jku came out I had an h3. I won a set of 35 inch tires at a jeep jamboree. The irony does not escape me. I put them on the hummer with no lift the fit with just a slight rub at full lock and full compression combined looking at the zr2 I would bet you can fit 33 s with no mods. But you never know. About the sweet 35s

By the way I run 315 70 17 on my rubicon jku 2008 with no gearing change. Works just fine and I have 159000 on the clock

haven

Expedition Leader
Chris Cordes files his impressions of the ZR2 on the Expedition Portal front page
https://expeditionportal.com/chevy-zr2-review/

Chris' review includes a point I have not read in any other review: The ZR2 with diesel is available in the extended cab model as well as the crew cab. Other models of Colorado don't offer the diesel with the shorter wheelbase chassis. The shorter wheelbase would make for a more maneuverable package.

Running the online configuration program confirms Chris' observation. The program won't let you choose the extended cab and the Diesel engine in any configuration other than ZR2. This may change as commercial buyers request a work truck with the Diesel engine.

The configuration site for the Colorado, including the ZR2 package, is here
http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/en/US/chevrolet/colorado/2017/colorado/config

eNVe

Wheelbase is the same (128.3 inches) for the crew cab and the extended cab. CC gets the short bed. EC gets the long bed.

The Raptor, however does offer the extended cab with the short bed. The only F150 you can get in that configuration, and it is a shorter wheelbase than the CCSB.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cris did a nice job. His review seems pretty genuine. Not to mention I like that GM is listening to customers and executing. Something GM lost yrs ago and can only see great results from by listening and tweaking models. Those shocks should be an option on all the Colorado/canyons😀. I may not need a desert racer but a 4dr mid sized truck that drives nearly as good as a 4dr sedan would be awesome👍. That and allowing for a greater options combo that isn't tied to trim versions. Lots of sweaty work guys would love an LT with ventilated seats and hard working diesel! Minus the stupid Denali chrome and weeni city wheels.

Not to mention all the 6spd offerings including the nicely done 2017 Acadia should just have the 8spd. Stop fooling with the lethargic 6spd and just up production of the 8 and get on with it!

phobostx

ZR2

I recently sold my 2000 Tacoma Limited. I've owned Toyota's for over 25 years. I've had 3 Tacoma's, 2 4Runners and 2 Tundra's (1 of each Gen) so it's safe to say I'm a "Toyota Guy".

I was looking for a truck with more room interior room and was leaning towards buying a Tundra TRD Pro. I quickly changed my mind after driving one because it reminded me why I got rid of my 2011 CrewMax 4x4, the sheer size (it's a ***** to park w/o getting banged up) and the horrible gas mileage they get (usually about 12mpg).

I reluctantly drove a diesel ZR2, honestly hoping I wouldn't like it. I then drove a Tacoma TRD Pro and knew right then that there was no way I could buy the Tacoma.
It's personal choice but I like the styling on the ZR2 and in my opinion the interior is vastly nicer than the Tacoma's along with much more interior space. Dealer let me take it to South Padre for a week vacation and I drove it around on the beach, tried to get it stuck. It was a BLAST to drive, never even got to use the front or rear lockers. Diesel had so much low end torque that it ate up the sand no problem.

I really liked the truck but I was still hesitant to consider buying a Chevy. I talked to several of my co-workers/family members that own Chevys and they all have put some serious miles on theirs (Tahoe, Silverado, Sierra). One guy I work with just traded his Silverado in with 265,000 miles on it and never did more than an alternator/regular maintenance. Best friends wife has a Tahoe with 137,000 on it and they haven't had any issues either.

I don't know for sure how consistent Chevy's quality has improved but I was swayed enough to give it a shot. I've got 3,000 miles on the truck now and I love it.

Toyota hasn't really improved the Tundra since 2007. They've been using diesels all over the world for decades and they could easily bring an engine here and adapt it to EPA regs. If GM can adapt their 2.8ltr for the U.S. market then so can Toyota, they are just being stubborn ****************** and in my opinion resting on their reputation alone to sell their trucks. Toyota isn't innovating anymore in the truck market anymore and if Chevy/Ford/Nissan start building vehicles that are reliable and develop that reputation then Toyota is going to have some serious sales problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke