Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

rruff

Explorer
Cheap? No truck is cheap right now. But if you get down to it, any of the domestic "work trucks" are cheapest.... Reliability is anther thing. I really don't see the Tundra being much (or any) more reliable than the Big 3.

Paid $31k OTD for mine. Couldn't get Ford or GM that low comparably equipped.

It's the most reliable full size by a wide margin according to consumer reports. Also gets the highest overall score. Resale is best and cost of ownership is lowest as well. The Tacoma is a different story.

p nut

butter
Paid $31k OTD for mine. Couldn't get Ford or GM that low comparably equipped.

It's the most reliable full size by a wide margin according to consumer reports. Also gets the highest overall score. Resale is best and cost of ownership is lowest as well. The Tacoma is a different story.

That's surprising. $31k OTD is a great price. But do read CR with a grain of salt, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
I bet lots of modern cars get sent to Auction due to a $2 micro switch these days. Pretty amazing how a little cheap switch can screw up a whole system.

Yeah I know!

Half the battle is chasing down the faulty part.

Found another issue...worked for a a bit then quit again, the little plastic stopper on the clutch pedal was the culprit this time. Worn just enough to cause the clutch switch not to work occasionally.

Cheap? No truck is cheap right now. But if you get down to it, any of the domestic "work trucks" are cheapest. On the upper trim levels, the pricing is about the same, but Tundra is left far behind in tech/design/ergo.

V6 Big 3 work truck seems to be the best deal for a now truck out there right now.

Toyota does offer a WT version of the Tundy, but I can't seem to find them anywhere near price-wise as the Big 3. [Low $20K's] Even found a Ram under $20K...fricken amazing with today's mortgaged to the hilt truck prices.

p nut

butter
V6 Big 3 work truck seems to be the best deal for a now truck out there right now.

Toyota does offer a WT version of the Tundy, but I can't seem to find them anywhere near price-wise as the Big 3. [Low $20K's] Even found a Ram under $20K...fricken amazing with today's mortgaged to the hilt truck prices.

Which is surprising rruff found the Tundra to be the cheapest option. I also found that Ram's are usually cheapest of the Big3. A tradesman trim would make an excellent truck. I see a LOT of USFS trucks up a local canyon, and they're all Ram's. Basic trim level with steel wheels. Pretty good looking trucks.

rruff

Explorer
I didn't look at Dodge. And I wanted double cab, 8' bed, and 4WD.

Pretty crazy that you can get a full sized Dodge truck for $20K! You can buy three for the cost of the Raptor or two for the cost of the ZR2 midsize.

The ZR2 appears to have a super nice suspension. But how much is that worth? For $3-4k you can get a top of the line midtravel setup from King or ADS.

p nut

butter

Pretty crazy that you can get a full sized Dodge truck for $20K! You can buy three for the cost of the Raptor or two for the cost of the ZR2 midsize.

The ZR2 appears to have a super nice suspension. But how much is that worth? For $3-4k you can get a top of the line midtravel setup from King or ADS.

Yeah, no kidding! Although there are other options that comes with the package that some will find useful. Still, it's a pretty cool truck. And if you don't need all the options, cheaper options are available.

Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Not saying you're lying about your purchase. There are lots of variables. Just surprised Toyota was the cheapest.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Went to test drive a Tacoma. I did not have any problem with the new engine or transmission as other people complain. They seemed alright to me since I usually drive 60-65 mph anyway.
BUT, the seating poison for guy like me 6'-2" was really bad. I don't think I can drive that car more than 3 hours.

So what's left on my list are;
5th generation 4 runner
GX 47
LX 470 or TLC 100
Need to test drive all of these cars

Soo

Here is a question,

For purely overlanding purpose what would you peak Colorado LT 2.8 Duramax vs Colorado ZR2 Duramax?

Would appreciate if you elaborate your points.

p.s. by overlanding I mean overlanding and not some camping/tenting/nature-parting. :D

Clutch

<---Pass

Yeah, no kidding! Although there are other options that comes with the package that some will find useful. Still, it's a pretty cool truck. And if you don't need all the options, cheaper options are available.

Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Not saying you're lying about your purchase. There are lots of variables. Just surprised Toyota was the cheapest.

@rruf It was a RCSB...but still! Can't even get a 2WD SR Tacoma for that. Have seen the V6 CC 6.5' bed around $25K. Dennis Dillon seems to have the best prices n the country.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/all-inventory/ram-caldwell-id.htm

---

@ p nut....Toyota always seems a little high when it comes their "strip-down" commercial trucks, don't think they sell enough inventory to give the deep discounts the Big 3 does.

Clutch

<---Pass
Went to test drive a Tacoma. I did not have any problem with the new engine or transmission as other people complain. They seemed alright to me since I usually drive 60-65 mph anyway.
BUT, the seating poison for guy like me 6'-2" was really bad. I don't think I can drive that car more than 3 hours.

So what's left on my list are;
5th generation 4 runner
GX 47
LX 470 or TLC 100
Need to test drive all of these cars

Soo

Here is a question,

For purely overlanding purpose what would you peak Colorado LT 2.8 Duramax vs Colorado ZR2 Duramax?

p.s. by overlanding I mean overlanding and not some camping/tenting/nature-parting. :D

I don't what people are complaining about the power and tranny on the Taco either...has more power than I'll ever use.

Everyone id different aren't we!? :) Me only being 5'8" I prefer the seating position of the Tacoma over the "bar stool" of my Trooper, my legs go numb in the Trooper after a few hours...where I can pull 14-15 hour days in the Taco no problem.

----

I would do the LT D-Max over the ZR2 D-Max, if given the choice. Throw some decent AT tires, some coil-overs and UCA's to get the nose up in the air, take off the air dam, and call it good...and honestly, me being me...would be perfectly content with the base model WT with the 4 cylinder gasser. You can grab those for $25K...I can't see spending a whole lot of money on something I am just going to beat on.

Had to swing by Toyota today to get a couple little parts...drove past the Chevy dealership on the way...will say I like the more subdued looks of the Colorado over the Tacoma.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Clutch

I don't what people are complaining about the power and tranny on the Taco either...has more power than I'll ever use.

Exactly. I don't get why people are upset about new the engine and tranny, sure it could have been stronger but it works fine. Did I need a faster car than a Taco I would buy a golf GT or subaru.

Me only being 5'8" I prefer the seating position of the Tacoma over the "bar stool" of my Trooper, my legs go numb in the Trooper after a few hours...where I can pull 14-15 hour days in the Taco no problem.

They way I was sitting in was quite strange for me. My lower back was sunk into the seat and mu knees where hitting the panel. I tried to adjust it but it did not get any better. I have to give it another chance though.

I would do the LT D-Max over the ZR2 D-Max, if given the choice. Throw some decent AT tires, some coil-overs and UCA's to get the nose up in the air, take off the air dam, and call it good...and honestly, me being me...would be perfectly content with the base model WT with the 4 cylinder gasser. You can grab those for $25K...I can't see spending a whole lot of money on something I am just going to beat on.

To be honest only reason I see to buy a colorado is the baby durmax. I don't see any reason to pick a gas colorodo over a gas tacoma. And tacoma has a huge aftermarket support and historically has been always adventure/overland truck as opposed to the Colorado which carries some agricultural heritage. (nothing wrong with this)
I'll be living in NYC area in a few weeks, so I need a small SUV or truck that would take me to explore the remote north east areas of country, Canada, Nova Scotia, etc. Fuel economy is important (for me) and this baby duramx seem to be damm good at it.

ZR2 seems too much a rock crawler for me. I could slowly build a good explorer my self :D

rruff

Explorer

I wouldn't get the diesel without long term emissions reliability info or an easy way to delete it. Even if it was good, I don't think I'd bother. It's $4k more than the V6.

The LT and ZR2 look like about $8k difference in price. I'd go for the LT and upgrade to suit.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch

Exactly. I don't get why people are upset about new the engine and tranny, sure it could have been stronger but it works fine. Did I need a faster car than a Taco I would buy a golf GT or subaru.

Fast cars just get me into trouble. ;)

They way I was sitting in was quite strange for me. My lower back was sunk into the seat and mu knees where hitting the panel. I tried to adjust it but it did not get any better. I have to give it another chance though.

Yeah, I don't know how tall guys get comfortable in Tacomas. My good friend is 6'1" who has one, he looks squished in there.

To be honest only reason I see to buy a colorado is the baby durmax. I don't see any reason to pick a gas colorodo over a gas tacoma. And tacoma has a huge aftermarket support and historically has been always adventure/overland truck as opposed to the Colorado which carries some agricultural heritage. (nothing wrong with this)
I'll be living in NYC area in a few weeks, so I need a small SUV or truck that would take me to explore the remote north east areas of country, Canada, Nova Scotia, etc. Fuel economy is important (for me) and this baby duramx seem to be damm good at it.

ZR2 seems too much a rock crawler for me. I could slowly build a good explorer my self :D

The mpg of the D-Max sure does look appealing. Be nice to get the extra range without having to carry jerry cans.

With some time I am sure the Colorado will have some decent aftermarket support.

p nut

butter

Cmon man, we've been over this. Yes, you WILL need all the power and torque of a HD V8, when you're trying to haul that Alaskan up a mountain pass. :D I'd be fine with a 4-cyl on most days as well. But not last weekend, when I was hauling a load with 4 people in the truck. Or the other times when 159hp and 180lb/ft wouldn't have been nearly enough. It's like having 4WD. No, you won't need it on 90% of the days, but when you need it, you NEED it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Soo

Here is a question,

I could see a solid argument for picking a Colorado LT 2.8 duramax over the ZR2 if the driver prioritizes payload and towing capabilities (e.g. carrying a bed camper or just a lot of gear) over raw offroad performance. The ZR2's payload is reduced somewhat from the base vehicle's (likely due to the tricked out DSSV suspension) and the towing is reduced (supposedly due to the suspension and different cooling vents on the front fascia). So if you want to maximize the towing performance for your 2.8l duramax, the base truck makes sense, and arguably is decent enough offroad, even without all of the gear and gadgets that the ZR2 has. That said, the ZR2's double lockers and revised suspension make it very appealing to someone looking to take challenging routes.

It would be nice if GM offered e-lockers for the base trucks as well..you could get the best of both worlds by optioning out a base Colorado.

rruff

Explorer
It would be nice if GM offered e-lockers for the base trucks as well..you could get the best of both worlds by optioning out a base Colorado.

No locking differential option? Didn't realize that. I wouldn't care though, so long as the aftermarket can supply what I want.

One thing lacking on the ZR2 is the double cab long option. If you want that.

I agree with p nut; go big. The midsize trucks aren't any cheaper to buy or own. MPG differences are a trivial expense in the grand scheme of things, and you'll appreciate the extra power and room in a truck that you load up and really use. I know I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94